Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I mentally prepared?

Hi everyone, I have a surgery date of July 27TH. Since I am a self pay (big bummer, my insurance still considers this surgery "experimental" ): I did not have to do a 6 or 3 month diet (which I can see the benefits of) and I am wondering if I will be mentally prepared for surgery and all that it entails. Do you have any suggestions ? Is there any reasons I should seek counseling of any sorts?

My Dr. does not require any type of diet before surgery, so I am starting protien shakes to replace 2 meals a day now to help with the transition before surgery and to also help with weight loss/fatty liver.

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate each of you!

Tracy

I didn't do a supervised diet before my surgery. I too, was self pay because my insurance denied my claim. I can't honestly tell if a 3 or 6 month supervise diet would help mentally. Anyone who is obese have some sort of eating issue but you know if your relationship with food is serious enough to get help. Before the surgery I did a lot of reading about people's experiences after their surgery and what cause some people to fail their weight loss surgery to see if I was at risk also. It would never hurt to talk to a counselor before the surgery just as a precaution.

I agree with Mina, I had my surgery 8 months ago and I'm still learning new things about how and why I ate the way I did. I think it is good to get some counseling dealing with food issues if your an emotional eater. With that said the therapist I had to see before my surgery did nothing to help me but make sure I was okay mentally. Good luck on your journey!

I didn't do a supervised diet before my surgery. I too, was self pay because my insurance denied my claim. I can't honestly tell if a 3 or 6 month supervise diet would help mentally. Anyone who is obese have some sort of eating issue but you know if your relationship with food is serious enough to get help. Before the surgery I did a lot of reading about people's experiences after their surgery and what cause some people to fail their weight loss surgery to see if I was at risk also. It would never hurt to talk to a counselor before the surgery just as a precaution.

I got to twelve steps meetings for support for substance abuse, but have found that it helps for my feelings toward food too. The fact of the matter is, for me it sounded like a good idea for someone to cut out a good portion of my stomach so that I can not each as much food as I want anymore. Therefore I must have a problem with food. I think that counseling will help you get through this journey.

Thank you, I am an emotional eater, ecspecially stress. I did have to see a therapist too - ok'd me mentally to have surgery, no talk of post surgery issues.

Best wishes on your contnued journey!

I agree with Mina, I had my surgery 8 months ago and I'm still learning new things about how and why I ate the way I did. I think it is good to get some counseling dealing with food issues if your an emotional eater. With that said the therapist I had to see before my surgery did nothing to help me but make sure I was okay mentally. Good luck on your journey!

I think it may help. I think you really just have to know that your old crutch of food is going to be unavailable. That means for me that I have had to find a way to feel my emotions and deal with them in a healthy, productive way. If you think it would help to talk to someone...go for it. I'm doing all kinds of things to help me get to a better place of self love. From journaling to reading to exercise to goal setting and vision casting....and a ton of talking to people in my support system. I am also self pay and only did a 2 wk preop diet...and I was way ready to do this mentally. But it is still an emotional roller coaster, so whatever you decide plan some coping strategies for after your surgery as well as establish your suppo

Hello Tracy, we can be sleeve sisters, I am getting my sleeve July 27th also. I eat mostly from boredom and I simply enjoy eating. I am going to do a 3 week liquid Protein diet pre-op. I have not had counseling, and I am self pay in Mexico, so didn't have to have a psych eval.

I wish you luck on your wls journey as well as your journey of self discovery.

I do have to do the 6 months for my insurance. I am really impatient but at the same time, there is so much more to it than the "diet" - I have met with a physical therapist to talk about exercise routines before and after, social worker to talk about any issues in general, nutritionist to talk about changing habits before surgery and several nutrition classes. That is above and beyond meeting with my primary Dr each month just as a check in on my weight and weight loss. I can't wait but am thankful at the same time that there is so much learning involved!!

Congratulations on the surgery date sister! Best wishes and safe travels. Keep me posted!

Hello Tracy, we can be sleeve sisters, I am getting my sleeve July 27th also. I eat mostly from boredom and I simply enjoy eating. I am going to do a 3 week liquid Protein diet pre-op. I have not had counseling, and I am self pay in Mexico, so didn't have to have a psych eval.

I wish you luck on your wls journey as well as your journey of self discovery.

Thanks for the reply, your time will be here before you know it and you will be prepared! Best wishes to you along your journey!

I do have to do the 6 months for my insurance. I am really impatient but at the same time, there is so much more to it than the "diet" - I have met with a physical therapist to talk about exercise routines before and after, social worker to talk about any issues in general, nutritionist to talk about changing habits before surgery and several nutrition classes. That is above and beyond meeting with my primary Dr each month just as a check in on my weight and weight loss. I can't wait but am thankful at the same time that there is so much learning involved!!

Thanks Joan, you certainly gave me some great strategies to work with and I am going to really think things over and come up with a positive plan of action before surgery and pray it works!:pray2:

Support system. Lol. :) Joan

My insurance company requires a 3 month pre-surgical weight loss diet and exercise program. Now that I'm almost halfway through it I'm appreciating the work. I chose Medifast, which pretty much mimics what I'll be able to eat after surgery and the exercise (which I was already doing) just gets me pumped up for the upcoming weight loss that I look forward to post-op. I am supposed to go to two Bariatric Surgery support groups pre-op per my surgeon and now that I've been to one I'd like to continue going after surgery for the support. I also see a therapist every other week and have no desire to stop at any point. She's helping me a great deal with preparing for the upcoming changes. I say that it couldn't hurt you to make some small changes now to mentally prepare yourself.

You will be well prepared! I think that is great! I think your transtion after surgery will be smooth and you will continue with success.

I sent you a PM and I wanted to thank you for the reply.

Best wishes to you on your surgery!!!

My insurance company requires a 3 month pre-surgical weight loss diet and exercise program. Now that I'm almost halfway through it I'm appreciating the work. I chose Medifast, which pretty much mimics what I'll be able to eat after surgery and the exercise (which I was already doing) just gets me pumped up for the upcoming weight loss that I look forward to post-op. I am supposed to go to two Bariatric Surgery support groups pre-op per my surgeon and now that I've been to one I'd like to continue going after surgery for the support. I also see a therapist every other week and have no desire to stop at any point. She's helping me a great deal with preparing for the upcoming changes. I say that it couldn't hurt you to make some small changes now to mentally prepare yourself.