Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So...

This is frustrating. Has anyone else been caught in this pattern of losing, then stalling, losing then stalling, etc...? I know my caloric intake is 600-800 per day. My body is holding steady at my current weight. After the last stall, I have only lost 5 lbs. Now I've been sitting at this weight for 1.5 weeks. Maybe I need a little more patience but my university homecoming is in October and um... I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to go up near the same weight as I did last homecoming I attended in 2005.

I'm tired of this... is this typical or do I need to just be patient with my body?

It's very typical, and it's actually called "losing in stair-steps" which means your body will lose then drop weight, then hold steady for several days to a couple of weeks, and then drop XX amount of pounds. It happens a lot, and it is not out of the ordinary.

One thing you can do is take measurements of your body and when the scale is slow, remeasure to see if you are losing inches. A stall is not a true stall until you have ZERO pounds or inches over a minimum of 14 days.

You do need to be patient, and if you want to experiment with your food intake, change things up, but monitor what you are eating, and drinking to see what methods give you the best results.

And, as much you are going to hate to hear this, with only 75lbs to lose, your weight loss pound wise is not going to be the same as someone with 150lbs to lose. It's just not possible. BUT, here is the big operative word here, you have already lost 29% of your excess body weight. If I remember correctly, you're about 6-8weeks out, and I think those stats are pretty awesome.

We are an instant gratiication society...... LOL!

My stats are below... I weigh myself only once a week, and typically "complain" about only losing 2-3 pounds a week because so many on this forum post awesome, incredible high numbers of weight loss... Well, enough complaining about small numbers... I have not lost one single pound in the last 3 weeks... I am totally shocked, totally frustrated and disapointed.. but.. I do know as Tiffykins pointed out, our bodies do have to catch up to what is going on, the surgery, the loss of carbs, and OMG I walk now, which b/4 I would sit watching tv with a bag of chips... So I am sure my body is wondering what in the world has happened!

I am frustrated.

But... I know I have been watching my carbs, calories and Water.. I am more active the past month than I have been my entire life.. so I am holding out that my true stall will pass... 3 weeks without a loss is tough...

Good luck to you & try to be patient with your body...

I lose in stair-steps now and I'm pre-op. In fact, this is how my body has always taken weight off during any of the diets I have tried. It is normal - don't beat yourself up over it.

I know that I use a weight tracker at caloriecount.about.com - it has not only weight tracking but weight trending, and as long as the trend continues to go down or stays the same, then you are fine. Believe me, it's hard for that trend to go up - you have to actually gain. It might be worth checking out, if only to help you feel better about the process.

For an interesting take on it, look up something called 'The Hacker's Diet' on Google. There is a lot of interesting information there regarding input vs output, trending, etc.

Hi Fellow Sleevers,

I wanted to reply to this post because I'm super down about my 4 week stall...I had the sleeve Feb 8th at 226 pounds and yes I've lost 55 pounds currently at 181 my weight is not coming off like it was....I really don't get it...I weigh myself everyday...I will loose 2 pounds one day which has put me at 179 then the next day I will weigh myself and gain a pound back...same thing happens every day...loose a few gain a few....I have not changed my eating habits...eat pretty healthy...sometimes I will slip up and eat the wrong foods at times but hey who doesn't....but u will always find me with a bag of carrots, activia, brocolli etc for lunch and healthy balanced dinner....I was working out 3 times a week for a while and noticed i was gaining more then loosing...yes we all know muscle weighs more then fat but I am totally at a loss and have been down n the dumps for weeks about it.....And it would be great if anybody could give me feedback about how long these plateuas will last...Is this the most i'm going to loose...I mean i'm the smallest ive ever been....well in high school i weighed about the same but I want to loose 50 more pounds....and feel like my body was just born this way and will never be the skinny person i've always wanted to tbe.....everybody says they will pass but I am now going on 5 weeks of this and freakn frustrated.....:(

Hi Fellow Sleevers,

I wanted to reply to this post because I'm super down about my 4 week stall...I had the sleeve Feb 8th at 226 pounds and yes I've lost 55 pounds currently at 181 my weight is not coming off like it was....I really don't get it...I weigh myself everyday...I will loose 2 pounds one day which has put me at 179 then the next day I will weigh myself and gain a pound back...same thing happens every day...loose a few gain a few....I have not changed my eating habits...eat pretty healthy...sometimes I will slip up and eat the wrong foods at times but hey who doesn't....but u will always find me with a bag of carrots, activia, brocolli etc for lunch and healthy balanced dinner....I was working out 3 times a week for a while and noticed i was gaining more then loosing...yes we all know muscle weighs more then fat but I am totally at a loss and have been down n the dumps for weeks about it.....And it would be great if anybody could give me feedback about how long these plateuas will last...Is this the most i'm going to loose...I mean i'm the smallest ive ever been....well in high school i weighed about the same but I want to loose 50 more pounds....and feel like my body was just born this way and will never be the skinny person i've always wanted to tbe.....everybody says they will pass but I am now going on 5 weeks of this and freakn frustrated.....:(

I KNOW SOO SCRAED I DID THIS FOR NOTHING.... WHAT IF MY SWICTH IS ALREADY

FLIPPED.DOC SAID IT CAN HAPPEN......PLEASE KEEP UP ON YOUR STORY.THANKS

Oh honey I share you pain. I have been at 218-220 for a month! A whole month! I am back at the basics and still nothing. I KNOW this is NOT where my body is bottoming out. Truth me told, I am going on a "diet" for the first time since surgery next week in hopes that it will kick start something in my body. I know this is not a sprint but a journey but come on- being at mile marker 220 for a month hasn't been a thrill.

I agree with Tiff, but also just try to keep things in perspective. It's a marathon, not a sprint :) And also, losing/maintaining is going to be life long. I lost 15lbs last month which for me is AMAZING, and I haven't lost much thus far.... I don't know if I am being lazy or my body is tired.... but either way I am just trying to promise myself I will be better today/tomorrow and I will not give up! I was just thinking about how amazing I feel, and I am not even at goal yet!

Keep up the good work and also work in exercise!!!

I am right there with you @ 179. I am in a stall for 6 weeks now.Very disapointing but hold fast. i took my measurements and am down 19.75 inches over all. :)