Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you choose the sleeve?

I did some research before I went to my consultation, and had decided that I wanted to have the bypass done. After my consultation, my Dr. agreed that the bypass was a good option for me. Now, I've done some more research and I'm torn between having the bypass and the sleeve. I feel like there are pro's and con's to both. I'm leaning more toward the sleeve now, but am still so torn. What made you choose the sleeve over the other types of WLS??

I did some research before I went to my consultation, and had decided that I wanted to have the bypass done. After my consultation, my Dr. agreed that the bypass was a good option for me. Now, I've done some more research and I'm torn between having the bypass and the sleeve. I feel like there are pro's and con's to both. I'm leaning more toward the sleeve now, but am still so torn. What made you choose the sleeve over the other types of WLS??

I chose the sleeve because it seems to be my doctor's preference. I have researched and read a number of times that it is less complicated for the doctor to perform.

I chose the sleeve because nothing is "re-plumbed". There are no maladsorption issues and no dumping syndrome like with the bypass. I had orginally thought I would have a lapband because I have a friend who had that done and was doing wonderful. I ended up going to Mexico and paying for it on my own because my insurance wouldn't pay. That is when I found out about the sleeve and it seemed like an even more attractive option to me at that time because I didn't have to come home with the band - dealing with getting fills and all of the complications that could occur (my friend has had hers slip twice and had to have surgery to fix it both times).

The sleeve has definatelyt been the right choice for me - I have not required any follow up and had absolutely zero complications. My doctor knows what I did and he checks some lab on me every 6 months and all is good.

It's a very hard thing to decide, do your homework and take your time researching everything until you feel comfortable with whatever decision you make. In the meantime.....ask, ask, ask! This site is a wealth of information. No matter what you want to know, someone has been through it and would be glad to help anyone they can.

Good Luck! :D

I had been thinking about the bypass as well. However, when I spoke with the Dr's office and the person who checks the insurance, she suggested the sleeve. Since I am self-pay, the sleeve is cheaper and she said that a lot of people op for that instead of the bypass who are self-pay, but of course the decision was mine. I asked about the ability to loose the weight successfully and she told me that in that particular doctor's practice, the sleevers lose just as much as the bypass patients. I then started checking it out and found out there were a lot less chances of getting various complications with the sleeve. Also, there is no re-arrangement of the insides, so there isn't the mal-absorption issue. Those two things really helped to make up my mind about it.

At first I thought I wanted the gastric bypass. My husband was pushing for the band. After doing some online research.. I decided I didn't want my guts sliced and diced. With the sleeve the pyloric valve is preserved so no dumping syndrome which sounds awful! I am pretty sure I don't want to live the rest of my life in fear of that. I teach and I cannot leave my classroom anytime I feel like it ... well that is if I want all the kids to remain alive and want the classroom to be there when I get back. It seemed like the longer people had the band... the greater the chance of complications. With the sleeve, it seems like if there are going to be complications... they occur sooner rather than later. So no living in fear of complications. No adjustments, hunger decreased because gryhellin is decreased... at least for awhile... I am sure mother nature built in some back-up systems. It just seemed like the best choice for me. More pros for me than cons... Not everyone is the same though. Some people think dumping syndrome is great behavior modification. You have to choose what is best for you.

Khy

Thank you so much everyone for your insight!! :)

I think that I am leaning towards the sleeve because of the lesser risk of complications. I know that things can still happen, but without re-plumbing everything, it makes me feel better about it. I'm worried though that without having the dumping, I won't be able to control my urge for junk!! That honestly, is one of the biggest pro's for me, when it comes to the bypass. I'm VERY much the type of person that falls into the "all or nothing" mentality, and I've been striving for most of my life to just find BALANCE!! I feel like the sleeve will help me to find that balance, where the bypass will force me right into the "nothing" category. I think that is why I've failed on every diet I've ever done, is because I think if I make one little mistake, I've blown the whole thing, and just give up. With the sleeve, I could work on balancing my meal plan, and know that there isn't anything that I'm forced to completely give up. I'm just wondering if I'm REALLY strong enough to do that!! ;) I do feel like now that I've made the decision to go ahead with surgery, I'm in a totally different mindset than I've ever been before, so maybe this time, I AM strong enough!! :)

This is my standard reply when this question pops up every couple of days. I won't try to sway anyone one way or another, but I'll give you my reasons for choosing VSG over RNY for my revision from the band. You can also check out the revision, failure, and food issue forums on here to get an idea of some long term RNY patients. For me, it was never an option. The cons outweighed the pros.

The VSG was my 2nd, and final WLS. I could have easily had RNY, but I fought to have VSG as my revision from the band. Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with Vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me. That was my thought process when I got the band, and I thought I could beat the odds on complications. Sadly, the band only lasted 8 months before I had to revise.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of Cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of Cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

I lost all my weight in my ticker with the exception of 7lbs with the sleeve, and I did it in 10.5 months. The 115lbs fell off the first 6.5 months, and then the rest I lost as I was getting into maintenance over another 4 months.. It's been a fabulous journey, and I'm easily maintaining with zero issues for nearly a year at this point. I want to add that every WLS regardless of your choice will require discipline. Only a percentage of RNY patients dump on sugar/fat, pouches and stomas stretch, then you have the medication restrictions. I'm not trying to convince you, but these were my concerns when I knew I had to revise from the band. I started at 263 the day of my revision and today I weigh 127lbs. I bounce on the scale 125-130lbs any given week, and I couldn't be more ecstatic!

Best wishes in your research!

P.S.

I wrote this before pregnancy, and think it's only fair to add that I'm thriving in my pregnancy. Zero deficiencies, zero nutritional issues for my body and the growing baby. I have gained about 10-11lbs in 20 weeks of pregnancy, and my doctors are elated with my progress. Nothing has been challenging in the pregnancy, nor is the pregnancy anymore complicated because of VSG. I struggle with the physical changes, and the weight regain, but it's a work in progress.

I'd like to thank you for your response Tiffykins...I was starting to waffle on my decision, even after it's been submitted to insurance. That post just gave me the confidence to know I chose the right procedure. :D

I have to agree also! Great post, Tiffykins. I had my endoscopy this morning and now I have to rethink everything. When I first decided to do something about my weight issues, my first thought was lapband. Then after a few seminars, my thinking went towards the sleeve. After the first visit with my surgeon, he said I would do well with all three, but recommended the gastric bypass. So, I have been away from this message board while I sifted gears. After my endoscopy this morning, the Dr. found that I have a duodenal ulcer and said that I should not have the bypass. Now, I will probably have to wait a while longer to treat the ulcer. But the Dr. has recommended the sleeve. Funny, I was so unsure, and I prayed for a sign that I was doing the right thing. It seems the sleeve is the right choice for me! And now, listening to all of you, I have reinforcement. Thanks All!

I chose sleeve because I did not like the idea of rerouting intestines and dumping and malabsorption.

I often wish I had had the bypass now because I am having trouble controlling what I put in my mouth, and I think the dumping would be a good deterrent. I am occasionally eating a cookie, a piece of candy, or a scoop of ice cream --and I feel very guilty for it. It is a habit I can't seem to kick.

I think it is definitely slowing my weight loss. :(

quite simply put....the whole point of losing the weight for me was to get healthy. malabsorption is not healthy. with the sleeve there is no malabsorption. therefore i got the sleeve instead of the bypass. good luck to you!