Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will not have anybody physically there in the waiting room. I feel comfortable with that...but does anyone know if they will they go ahead with the procedure if nobody is there? My emergency contact will be on standby and reachable by phone….is that enough? This just occurred to me as I’m packing my bag. I didn’t think to ask in the pre-op class. I know folks that go to Mexico go it alone often, but I’m doing it here in the U.S.

My hospital required someone in the waiting room...but I dont know if that is common. After I was in my hospital room (4 hours in ICU) they told my husband he didnt need to be there. Call the hospital and ask.

The bariatric coordinator told me that I could not leave the hospital unless someone was there to drive me home but there were no other requirements for anyone's attendance while in the recovery room. But I didn't ask about that either.

My partner is incredibly squeamish and dropped me off and left. The staff was fine with that as long as someone came to drive me home on the day of discharge.

I went alone. I needed someone to pick me up, but even then I drove home.

Good luck and keep in touch,

Valentina

Great question! I was wondering the same - I am planning on having my daughter or husband drop me off - an additional question I would have is can someone under 18 take you home? My daughter is 16.

You probably can't have your daughter pick you up, unless they don't know she's only 16. My program specifies a "responsible adult" must accompany you home. They also said it's fine to be dropped off, and to call for a ride when it's time to go.

that's crazy, why would a hospital require someone be in the waiting room? people have to work and their presence there won't change the outcome of the surgery. as long as you get there to have surgery and someone to pick you up that's all that should matters.

My hospital required someone in the waiting room...but I dont know if that is common. After I was in my hospital room (4 hours in ICU) they told my husband he didnt need to be there. Call the hospital and ask.

I had my surgery done in Manhattan and I took the railroad in from Long Island and the subway to the hospital by myself, checked myself in and was prepped for surgery all by myself. I am a single dad to three young kids having been widowed four years ago and my kids were too young to be with me (and I wouldn't have wanted them there anyway) and my mother is elderly, so I didn't want her there earlier. I did give my surgeon my mother's number and asked her to call her after the surgery to let her know how things went, which he did. I was a tiny bit apprehensive about being by myself, but it worked out fine. I didn't have any visitiors while I was in the hospital either. The truth is, I think it made it easier to concentrate on getting rest and taking my walks without having to worry about visitors. Even when it came time to be released, I signed myself out and walked out on the street where I was met by my brother in his car. I don't think my hospital had any rules about being picked up.

I would recommend having someone pick you up or taking a cab -- I know I would not have felt like driving that first day.

All the best to you,

Brian

Legally speaking you can't drive yourself home, but there is no reason you must have someone physically there when you have the surgery. My husband was not allowed to come to the recovery room anyway - they had him wait in my hospital room for when they brought me up.

I drove myself there at 6am and was at hospital alone. My friends came later and drove car home. Like others I had to have someone drive me home when released.

Legally speaking you can't drive yourself home, but there is no reason you must have someone physically there when you have the surgery. My husband was not allowed to come to the recovery room anyway - they had him wait in my hospital room for when they brought me up.

Just curious why it would be illegal? Because of the pain meds you would be on?

I wonder what they would do if you did not have someone? Not everyone has a person that could pick them up. Would they cancel the surgery?

Just curious why it would be illegal? Because of the pain meds you would be on?

I wonder what they would do if you did not have someone? Not everyone has a person that could pick them up. Would they cancel the surgery?

There is no law anywhere that it is illegal to drive yourself home from the hospital from surgery. Now, being on pain meds and driving are a different matter, but that is whether you just had surgery or not.

Hospitals often will refuse to let you drive yourself or leave unaccompanied from there after surgery where you were under anesthesia due to liability on their part. Personally, I think its stupid. If I sign a waiver form then what's the big deal.

I'm currently several hundred miles away from home, having surgery tomorrow and nobody I know will be around. I'm taking a shuttle from hospital to the hotel. Personally, not excited about that either, but whatever makes them happy I guess.

Oh, and to answer your question if they would cancel your surgery if you told them you didn't have appropriate accommodations after the surgery- YES- they will cancel your surgery.

I believe it is because they need some one there to make decisions for you while you are unable to make them for yourself.

that's crazy, why would a hospital require someone be in the waiting room? people have to work and their presence there won't change the outcome of the surgery. as long as you get there to have surgery and someone to pick you up that's all that should matters.