Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in two days and I'm in tears

I'm having a bit of a nervous breakdown I think. It hit me when I was in the grocery store stocking up on the stuff I need for clears diet tomorrow. I came home and just started crying. I want this surgery more than anything but I must admit the reality of relearning and developing a new relationship with food is making me so sad. When I tried to decide what I was going to have for my low carb low fat dinner thats what sent me over the edge. I started thinking about all the things I wanted and I just broke down. I think once I cry and say goodbye to these habits I'll be ok.

I know I am making the right choice. I'm just trying to deal with what I'm feeling right now. I'm going to make some powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup now, its been about 5 hours since my last shake and I'm sure low blood sugar is playing a role in me being so emotional. Oh and sorry if TMI but PMS x 10 isn't helping one little bit.

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. But I can relate. And I'm sure as my date gets closer I will feel just as you do now.

Good Luck with your surgery. Please keep us informed.

Hugs.

I'm having a bit of a nervous breakdown I think. It hit me when I was in the grocery store stocking up on the stuff I need for clears diet tomorrow. I came home and just started crying. I want this surgery more than anything but I must admit the reality of relearning and developing a new relationship with food is making me so sad. When I tried to decide what I was going to have for my low carb low fat dinner thats what sent me over the edge. I started thinking about all the things I wanted and I just broke down. I think once I cry and say goodbye to these habits I'll be ok.

I know I am making the right choice. I'm just trying to deal with what I'm feeling right now. I'm going to make some unjury chicken Soup now, its been about 5 hours since my last shake and I'm sure low blood sugar is playing a role in me being so emotional. Oh and sorry if TMI but PMS x 10 isn't helping one little bit.

Hi, well, from my experience two days is about right for the nerves to hit! I was just scared of the surgery. The reality of no more pigging out on grilled hot dogs (which I love) didn't hit me until the day after surgery when I was watching 4th of July commercials on TV. But it was fleeting.

A lot of people are able to sucessfully add carbs back in their eating lifestyle once they have reached goal, so you are not necessary giving food you like up forever. I'm sensitive to refined carbs, so I'll always have to watch the white stuff, including rice and potatoes. However, if you read some of the earlier posts on here, you'll see a lot of people are able to eat even Desserts in limited way once they reach goal.

At any rate, your reaction seems pretty typical to me. My cousin is having VSG surgery the 20th and I talked to her a couple of days ago and she was starting to get anxious about following the food plan, taking the Vitamins on schedule, etc. For me it was about two days before, like you.

You'll be fine once you are on the other side. So different afterwards than before and it's difficult to describe. You'll be fine.

It's normal to swing back and forth with emotions, I think most of us did this too. It's very natural! A lot of people mourn food, but I really didn't because I knew I would be able to eat my favorites eventually, just not as often or in huge amounts. And with the hunger hormone gone or greatly reduced, it makes the changes so much easier.

:)

Kelly

I'm so hung up on the one month re-entry diet that I can't see past it. I'm so scared that I will have nausea issues and that I won't be able to eat again. Or that I'll have to have a feeding tube for the rest of my life. I need to take a pill and chill out. I'm glad you reminded me of the hunger hormone being reduced...if the hunger is gone I can do this.

Thanks to everyone else for your kind words. I pulled up some Youtube vids and that helped tremendously. I'm going to make a list of why I am doing this surgery to help settle my mind. I just pray everything goes ok. I'm ready for an improved quality of life and hopefully this weight loss will add years to my life.

It's normal to swing back and forth with emotions, I think most of us did this too. It's very natural! A lot of people mourn food, but I really didn't because I knew I would be able to eat my favorites eventually, just not as often or in huge amounts. And with the hunger hormone gone or greatly reduced, it makes the changes so much easier.

:)

Oh honey, your reaction is perfectly normal! If you look back on old threads, I WAS you 4 months ago! It's going to be okay. You just have to take a deep breath and remember why you're doing this! As for the immediate post-op diet, you're not going to even have a desire to have anything to do with food for the first little bit. It'll go so fast that before you know it you'll be back on solids! If you need to talk feel free to PM me, even if it's just for someone to talk you down for a minute!

It's perfectly normal and okay to have a few freak out moments before surgery! If you need to cry, then just cry. It'll make you feel better. It's important to be honest about the way that you're feeling about everything. Fear and anxiety are perfectly normal reactions. If you have any questions, or need someone to talk to, come visit us on the post-op diet. We're all more than happy to help you!

Your feelings are totally normal! You can do this! When I got home from surgery I thought I would never be able to get through the first 30 days. I had 10 days clears, 10 days full liquids and 10 days soft foods (which is where I am now). Guess what, the time has flown by! I have 7 more days of soft foods and I can't believe it went so fast! For me the head hunger is the worst part of it. I know others don't have this but I do. I figured I probably would bf I had the surgery so I knew I just have to deal with it. It is getting better! I know I will eventually be able to have all of the things I love so it's not too bad.

Also, I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have any nausea after surgery so you may be just as lucky. I still haven't had any. When I try something new I take a tiny sip or bite and see how it sits in my sleeve bf I take more. If it doesn't feel right I don't eat anymore and will try that food/drink again later on!

Hang in there and keep us posted on how you are after surgery!

What you are feeling is so normal! I can remember being there myself. This is a huge decision and a permanent change in your life, but you know what? It is soooo worth it! Yes, you will have to define a new relationship with food, but you can do it and you won't fail! You can still have all the foods you want to eat again - anything - I promise you! But you will find when that time gets here, your relationship with food will have changed and those things you couldn't live without really won't be as satisfying to you anymore. I still eat all kinds of junk (I am drinking a Dr. Pepper as I am typing this lol), the only difference is that now, I am satisfied with a few bites of chips and salsa instead of the entire bag of chips.

You are a beautiful girl, and soon your daily habits will be doing things instead of eating and you will find that you think less and less about food. You have a brand new life ahead of you and the possibilities are endless. Please use this board to ask questions or just vent. Everyone here is great support. Private message me anytime and hang in there, you will do great! :D

Kathy

Thank you Kathy for your words of encourgement. I'm a 1000x's better today than yesterday. I needed to get it all out and feel so much better after having that mini meltdown. Today I'm doing all clears and I'm ok with it.

I'm so thankful I found this board. The support here is incredible. :)

What you are feeling is so normal! I can remember being there myself. This is a huge decision and a permanent change in your life, but you know what? It is soooo worth it! Yes, you will have to define a new relationship with food, but you can do it and you won't fail! You can still have all the foods you want to eat again - anything - I promise you! But you will find when that time gets here, your relationship with food will have changed and those things you couldn't live without really won't be as satisfying to you anymore. I still eat all kinds of junk (I am drinking a Dr. Pepper as I am typing this lol), the only difference is that now, I am satisfied with a few bites of chips and salsa instead of the entire bag of chips.

You are a beautiful girl, and soon your daily habits will be doing things instead of eating and you will find that you think less and less about food. You have a brand new life ahead of you and the possibilities are endless. Please use this board to ask questions or just vent. Everyone here is great support. Private message me anytime and hang in there, you will do great! :D

Kathy

You will do great - no looking back. 6 months, or even 3 months from now you will not believe how different and good your life is.

PS - meltdowns are good for the soul :P

Even though you will be making adjustments after sugery your choice to have VSG is best for your health and the changes ahead. Am glad you are going through the emotions of what is happening to you. I cried real tears in front of a cheap all you can eat buffet about 1 month after surgery. Why? It wasn't really good food to begin with so why was I so upset? VSG forces to face your relationship with food. At almost nine months out, I am still a foodie, can eat almost all types of food (ethnic, spicy, dairy, sweet) without problems like bypass/banders - but now, I just eat less and am fully satisfied. The sleeve is a miracle for my life.

Surgery is tomorrow right? Thrilled for you.

iegal

Thank you for the response. Yes, surgery is in the morning. I'm shocked at how well I've done today on clears. No tears...just a little anxiety. I have asked my teenage girls to handle dinner prep tonight. I just can't do that right now. I'm going to have my preop pic and measurements done tonight. Surgery is @ 0730 and I have to be at the surgery center at 0700.

Your experience is making me feel better about this process. I think if would of not cried yesterday I would of been a HOT MESS surgery day. I've got my head around it and I know I'm going to be ok. I appreciate your support and the support of everyone on VST. :)

Even though you will be making adjustments after sugery your choice to have VSG is best for your health and the changes ahead. Am glad you are going through the emotions of what is happening to you. I cried real tears in front of a cheap all you can eat buffet about 1 month after surgery. Why? It wasn't really good food to begin with so why was I so upset? VSG forces to face your relationship with food. At almost nine months out, I am still a foodie, can eat almost all types of food (ethnic, spicy, dairy, sweet) without problems like bypass/banders - but now, I just eat less and am fully satisfied. The sleeve is a miracle for my life.

Surgery is tomorrow right? Thrilled for you.

Good luck tomorrow! I will be following you on Friday. I am having my own issues with the surgery but they are different than you. The reason is that I have a band now so I've been through the emotional aspect of it last year. I know I will be able to eat again so that is not the issue. I'm having anxiety over the actual surgery and healing process. If it wasnt for this board, I would really be a wreck! What a great group of people, right?

We'll have to compare notes in the coming days....I will be thinking about you tomorrow.

iegal

Thank you for the response. Yes, surgery is in the morning. I'm shocked at how well I've done today on clears. No tears...just a little anxiety. I have asked my teenage girls to handle dinner prep tonight. I just can't do that right now. I'm going to have my preop pic and measurements done tonight. Surgery is @ 0730 and I have to be at the surgery center at 0700.

Your experience is making me feel better about this process. I think if would of not cried yesterday I would of been a HOT MESS surgery day. I've got my head around it and I know I'm going to be ok. I appreciate your support and the support of everyone on VST. :)