Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some insight!!!! Having Problems!!!

ok here is my story.....I was banded in July 2008 and I have lost about 75 lbs. In March 2011 everything I ate and drank came back up even Water Dr removed all Fluid out thinking it would correct the problem and it seemed to work felt so much better then on May 04, 2011 I had first fill again and it felt ok little pain every now and then but I could eat and drink. Now I have started having really bad nausea and bad pain in my stomach, side, back and it gets worse when I eat or drink anything but I and not getting sick and my port site is very sore and tender. I call the Dr earlier and he said for me to call office in the morning and need the get it unfilled again and do some testing. Getting real upset I have been thinking about having a revision to the sleeve but have not really checked into it but now I guess that I might be sooner than I thought. If anyone has any insight on what they think is going on please let me know Or if there are some question that I should ask the Dr.

Has your Dr ordered ANY tests? (Swallow test, EGD...) It sounds like your band MAY have slipped. It may not have though. I have been having the same issues for FAR too long myself. I am in the process of getting the danged thing taken out and getting a revision to a sleeve. (Still waiting for one more Dr's office to fax over needed info so the surgeon can submit for authorization.) I can tell you, with my issues, I have had all of these tests done, and my band is in PERFECT placement. And it depends on the day as to whether or not I can keep anything other than liquids down. (Thankfully, today was one of those days.) Oddly enough, I also NEVER have problems keeping a small salad down either. Anything else is fair game to get popped right back up.

Be proactive...I can tell you that all the throwing up I have been experiencing has damaged my teeth already. The stomach acid has really done a number with eroding them, so now I am looking at spending a pretty penny at the dentist when all of this is said and done.

Hoping and praying insurance will cover this, which I am sure they will because they have no "one and done" clause like so many other plans do. WHEW! I am SICK AND TIRED of living like a bulimic! (I've even been recently talked to by my school's Director of Nursing because so many people have seen me throw up within 15 minutes of eating lunch at school. GAH! THERE'S a situation to explain!)

I had several complications with my band (slip, leak, broken tubing, and towards the end I could barely swallow). If there is pain involved, please have it checked out as soon as possible. It sounds like you may have an infection or slip. I had extreme pain when my band broke apart. It caused an infection at the port site which was treatable with antibiotics. If you do end up having some sort of slip or complication, you really should consider revision. It is so great to not have to worry about fills, sliming, getting stuck, and pain anymore. The stats are not good for patients that have a band complication fixed (slip, etc). When I was having my endoscope at the hospital, there was a lady who was going in to have a slip fixed. She had done very well with her band, but had sudden pain that required immediate surgery. Well, her doctor couldn't fix the slip and she woke up with no band. She was in tears in recovery and I felt so bad for her. Good luck with your appointment. We are always here if you have more questions!

The band causes nothing but problems.

That's why there are so many band to sleeve revisions and it has it own section! you are not alone. Do whatever you have to and get that band out before it damages your esophagus and stomach.

OK went to Dr today they took out all Fluid only 3cc then they sent me to to have CT scan on gallbladder and just got the test results back that it was normal.....so next step is to wait and see if pain stops by WED and if not then want to do a hyda scan to make sure it is not the gallbladder which I dont think is the problem but of course they dont want it to be this most wonderful band (yea right) ....they said if its not that then they want to go in and take a look internal to see whats the problem......I dont want to do that if they are going to do surgery again I want this band out and change to a sleeve......

What do ya'll think about this??????

I THINK YOUR RIGHT ON THAT POINT. I'VE POSTED MY STORY ON HERE IN SEVERAL AREAS. BAND TO SLEEVE IS ON 6/20, I'M SO HAPPY I CAN'T TELL YOU.

I have my revision from band to sleeve scheduled on June 23rd (Next Thursday). I have had the band for 5 years and during that 5 years I threw up almost every meal. If I ate to much I would get a horrible pain in my side or in port area. I went a few weeks back for an Upper GI X-Ray to check on the band and found out that it has partially slipped. It can slip completely at any given moment and then I would have to have an emergency surgery. I cannot wait until next week to have this band out and be DONE with it. I have lived 5 years of misery, not be able to eat healthy, throwing up meals, and just feeling like crap. I so wish that the sleeve would have been an option at the time that I got my band so I could have saved myself another surgery down the road.

Ask your doctor to do an upper GI on you to check the placement of your band. I really do wish you all the best and I am sure you will make the best decision for yourself.

Feel free to message me after next Thursday if you'd like and I'd be more than happy to share my experience with you. I am bringing a laptop to the hospital with me to pass time.

Good luck :D