Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

regular solid foods afterward

Hello to all,

I just recently had my VGS done this past wednesday and was out by Friday. I am fortunate in that I heal fast. I notice that I find myself becoming more concerned about the complications after all is said and done. My surgeon said after 6-8 weeks the stomach has absorbed the staples and sutures.

What i find that I am having trouble understanding is how this is called an irreversible procedure yet many have said the stomach can stretch out again. Does this mean it can grow back to the size it was previously or that it can stretch to a bigger holding capacity and that is it?

Another part of me questions what I have done. I was around 354lbs,but i always worked out but found out my metabolism had stalled,my sleep apnea was at a superbad level. Yet no matter how hard i worked and even with just Protein Shakes and a regular meal of broiled chiken or lean meat, i still could not drop weight. Now a day before surgery im 350,i check myself today. and im 337. To me though it's more a component of being on a liquid diet rather than anything else.

Im just wondering if i gave up good times with my family eating out at restaurants and not being able to finish a plate that has 2 sides and one main dish. Not that i do that all the time,just I don't want to enjoy 1/4 a plate then get full and the smell would still be tempting me even though i feel full.

Am I only the only one to have these feelings of uncertainty? I am not an emotional eater or a stress eater. I eat because I enjoy it. I even love to cook. I know i did this for my health. I just feel unsure.

Everything you are feeling is NORMAL. Your stomach will stretch a little bit but not a lot, from like 3 oz capacity (because of swelling) to around 6 or 7 oz or mabey a little more. I watched a vid on youtube and saw an xray of the stomach 4 years post op and it looked like it went from an airless long tube balloon to one with half air in it if that is a good visual. You will be able to eat normally. I am only 6 1/2 weeks out and at my sisters wedding on Friday was able to eat my whole prime rib and a couple of bites of veg. I still felt the restriction but I didn't feel like I was missing out so to speak. I too am not an emotional eater but do so because I like it. You will be able to enjoy food again as well. Enjoy the "honeymoon" period of the weight loss afterwards it will still come off just not as fast.

Hi. I was sitting in my hospital bed day 2 watching an ad for hot dogs (it was coming up on 4th of July) when I had that oh, no, I'll never be able to pig out in grilled hot dogs

again thought. Was brief and I haven't regretted it. Eventually down the road you'll probably be able to eat about a cup of food,depending on what it is. You will still enjoy food but just be satisfied with less and have leftovers to enjoy for lunch.

Re stomach stretching they take out the stretchy part and leave the muscle part so it doesn't stretch. Now the bypass pouch can stretch but minimal if at all on our tiny stomachs.

Well, I am almost 9 months out and life is very different than from where you newly sleeved people are living today. I love food. I love the smell, texture, presentation of food and well as the taste. Ethnic food, YUM. Down home southern goodness food - YUM.

Being sleeved does not mean I have given up food. I still love food and subscribe to several food magazines. I still cook. Now I am satisfied with a smaller portion. The smell does not tempt me because I eat more slowly and slow down to enjoy the taste. While others are shoveling in as fast as they can, I am smelling, chewing slowly and savoring. Don't worry, being sleeved does not mean you give up anything, except the large dining out bill. I now share a meal with my DH and we are both happy. Half the cost, same pleasure. Only all you can eat buffets (food was never great there anyway) are a waste.

Things only get better. Congrats on your sleeve, don't fret, life as a VSG is good.

Ditto about the stomach stretching. The stretchy part is gone for the most part and your sleeve will stretch out a bit, but not much. An example, there was a post here recently about a man who was a year out and was on a cruise and overate and his sleeve burst. And not on the staple line. It was only a year out, but that goes to show you it doesn't stretch much.

I am lucky in that I have a very tiny tummy now. It is hard right now for me, (especially the first few weeks) but I will be glad later. I am 3 months out and can only eat between 1/4 to 1/3 of a very tender ribeye steak. Then maybe a few green Beans or couple florets of broccoli. That is IT. At that point I feel very full, but not sick. I still have a problem with eating too fast and that will get you in trouble quick. I also miss drinking with my meals. I think I miss that more than pigging out. It's hard for me, but I am getting used to it.

Having said all that, Tiff (that posts here) is 2 years out and she says she enjoys anything and everything she wants to eat. You will be able to go out and eat and go to barbecues, etc. And for special occasions, you can fit more in when you eat slowly, like over an hour or so.

Well my primary fear has been about the leakage. Problem is waiting 6-8 weeks for it to be permanently healed so the worry is off my head.

Now I had never heard of a sleeve bursting???? Now that gives me alot of cause for concern. So if one night a year from now I want two slices of pizza instead of one I could actually cause it to rupture because it exceeds the 4 ounce minimum?

This is where i get my concerns from,I don't want to push it on myself if im still feeling hunger but it's beyond my stomach limit.

Well my primary fear has been about the leakage. Problem is waiting 6-8 weeks for it to be permanently healed so the worry is off my head.

Now I had never heard of a sleeve bursting???? Now that gives me alot of cause for concern. So if one night a year from now I want two slices of pizza instead of one I could actually cause it to rupture because it exceeds the 4 ounce minimum?

This is where i get my concerns from,I don't want to push it on myself if im still feeling hunger but it's beyond my stomach limit.

You know how now, when you eat one too many pieces of pizza? And you feel stuffed but not to the I wanna puke stage? You can eat to that feeling with the sleeve too... its just a whole lot less food and damage done! You will have to get used to how the smaller amount looks on your plate, but in your stomach, a small amount is just right. If you eat more than that, you will stretch your stomach out more, and could puke and have pain, I suppose just like you could with a regular stomach before surgery!

I was just looking through my guidelines and im curious why fruits with skins are to be injested even after 6-8 week period? It feels awkward in that it is said that VGS you are not restricted in what you can eat but it feels like quite a few things won't be able to go down even after the stomach heals completely.

The Fiber in the skin is harder to digest, I find, even at 5 months I shy away from the skins sometimes. It just doesn't feel right. Most things Im fine with... its crispy apple skins, I eat about half of the time. You can get ultra fibers like celery, coconut and such staying in your stomach and not passing out...on the rare occasion...Chew well and cut into small pieces to help the stomach cope.

TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND REMEMBER TO BREATH!!! You are trying to "eat the bear all at once". That is what I used to tell my canine obedience clients. Anyone can eat an entire bear---BUT ONE BITE AT A TIME!! Live and eat at the place where you're at in you new sleeve life. Conquer the tasks at this stage. The new tasks are waiting and you will do just fine as long as you have layed a solid foundation in the beginning. You can build on that solid foundation for the rest of your life. You will learn what needs to be done and what is not to be done. One step at a time. Slow down! Experience each level. I had surgery on 6/6 so we can walk this trail together.

Keep in touch,

Valentina :grouphug:

The fiber in the skin is harder to digest, I find, even at 5 months I shy away from the skins sometimes. It just doesn't feel right. Most things Im fine with... its crispy apple skins, I eat about half of the time. You can get ultra fibers like celery, coconut and such staying in your stomach and not passing out...on the rare occasion...Chew well and cut into small pieces to help the stomach cope.