Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unless you're allergic, aren't shrimp and Scallops a great protein

There is nothing I love more then baked scallops with a lemon pepper oil. I take olive oil and add lemon pepper to it. Let it sit for 5 days like that. Super yummy.

I love shrimps and scallops, and eat them a few times a week. Scallops cooked in a bit of olive oil , pepper and lemon. Shrimp just whatever is available, today I put some shrimps in a pan with chilli, garlic and a bit of white wine, yummy!!

I love shrimp and scallops--scallops, lightly pan sauteed in olive oil, squirt of lemon--nothing better! Shrimp I prefer cold, a la shrimp remoulade or cocktail (watch carbs in sauce if you're carb-counting). Delicious! I'm having shrimp remoulade for lunch today, in fact.

Meg

I take my shrimp and scallops together with a tiny bit of butter, some sea salt and garlic and cook them in a frying pan. Then I take a few mushrooms sliced thin and toss them in for a few minutes (sometimes I add another chopped small steamed veggie to the mix). I put it in half cup servings in little containers and keep them in the frig for lunches or a quick easy dinner. Reheats in less than a minute...yummy!

YUMMM!

Kelly :D

I take my shrimp and scallops together with a tiny bit of butter, some sea salt and garlic and cook them in a frying pan. Then I take a few mushrooms sliced thin and toss them in for a few minutes (sometimes I add another chopped small steamed veggie to the mix). I put it in half cup servings in little containers and keep them in the frig for lunches or a quick easy dinner. Reheats in less than a minute...yummy!

Asian shrimp kabobs: skewer shrimp, pineapple chunks, green peppers and onion in rotation. Save pineapple juice from canned pineapple chunks and add some of it to soy sauce and a little sesame oil. Brush this mixture on the kabobs and grill.

Blackened scallops: dip ends of scallops in cajun seasoning (or spicy seasonings of choice, I prefer the tastefully simple fiesta blend) and sear so that the seasonings get dark/blackened.

Shrimp stir fry....no recipe, I use what I have.

I usually just pan saute them with a little garlic salt for quick meals or to top on a salad.

Saute shrimp in hot sauce and make a dip from greek yogurt. I have put blue cheese crumbles in the yogurt and smashed it all together and I have added lemon and dill. Think buffalo style here.

Both work well in marinara sauce and adding a touch of wine to the sauce really complements the shellfish.

Render the fat from 2 strips of bacon and make a dressing with it by adding an acid....vinegar or orange juice etc. Crumble the 2 strips of bacon in the dressing and set aside. Make bacon wrapped scallops (I precook the bacon so it isn't rubbery) and serve on spinach greens. drizzle the bacon vinaigrette dressing over it all.

Ooh, forgot to add that an appetizer portion of shrimp cocktail or remoulade is about 4 meals for me now!! I got a dozen shrimp on my remoulade plate yesterday at lunch and have been eating them since (just finished the last 3 for supper tonight). I think seafood of all kinds is a great deal nutritionally and financially--plus it's yummy-licious!

Around here, we cook with shrimp a lot. Saute 1/2 onion, a stalk of celery, and 1/4 bell pepper (all chopped fine) in olive oil. Add some garlic and salt and pepper. Saute until soft (and I like to get it almost lightly browned--makes the onion sort of sweet). Put in some cleaned shrimp and saute for a couple of minutes until the shrimp are pink and opaque--but not well-done--don't overcook. Add a can of petite-diced tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of Tabasco hot sauce (or more). Correct seasoning. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve hot or cold--when cold, can mix in a few cubes of avocado. Sort of like shrimp creole but without the rice... sometimes I cool it all down and stir it into a small jar of V8 juice and make a shrimp gazpacho served cold or hot. If you do this, put a little Worchestershire in so it kind of tastes like a fancy bloody Mary but with shrimp!

Another option, grill your shrimp on skewers--brush with olive oil and garlic powder. I like to bash up some cilantro and marinate the shrimp in olive oil, cilantro, and lime juice before grilling and brush during grilling. Serve with tomato/avocado/sweet onion salsa (just cut 'em up and mix together with salt, pepper, and a little lime, lemon, orange, or pineapple juice). Delish!

Now I'm still craving shrimp after eating it for 2 days. Happily, I live in Louisiana and can get it readily. The above recipes can be used with firm fish fillets, as well, or catfish, if you haven't got access to fresh shrimp. Don't use imported shrimp!

Enjoy!

Meg

My 4th anniversary was about 10 weeks out of surgery, and we went to a seafood place to Celebrate. I got the parmesan-encrusted baked scallops and omgggggggggg, they were so unbelievable. There were 10 of them in the dish and I managed 5, barely (not having any of the bread and just a couple bites of salad). I'm not sure exactly how they were made, but I think they were just rolled in parmesan cheese and garlic powder or salt, placed in the baking/serving dish with some butter, and baked. It was amazing. :D

I made this this weekend...

First I made a compound butter, took half a stick of butter and added 1 minced garlic clove, chopped fresh dill and some Old Bay (I love Old Bay), and a dab of hot sauce and the zest of half a lemon.

I assembled little foil packets to grill:

First I layered thin sliced red new potatoes, then a handful of cleaned, deveined shrimp, I took an ear of corn and cut it into four pieces and put two small pieces in each packet. Then I put a sprig of fresh dill, a pat of the compound butter and sprinkled some more Old Bay and sealed up the packets so there were no holes. Grill for 14 minutes on med hot on your grill. It was sooooo good. You can also add lemon slices to the packets.

This topic should probably be moved to recipes, but I don't know how. Anyhow, here's my new fav shrimp recipe, altered a bit from how it appears in the June issue of Better Homes and Gardens:

Grilled Chili Lime Shrimp

2 tsp finely shredded lime peel

3 Tbsp lime juice

1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic

2 Tbsp soy sauce

3 Tbsp olive oil

1 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp red pepper

1 Tbsp chopped cliantro

1 Tbsp honey

1 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined.

Mis all ingredeints except shrimp. Get grill hot while marinading shrimp. Shrimp should not marinate more than 20 minutes or the lime juice will start to "cook" the shrimp.

Put marinade and shrimp in a seal-able baggie. Rub shrimp to work in marinade and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Turn baggie over, rub shrimp again, and refrigerate 10 more minutes.

Remove shrimp from marinade, thread on skewers and cook till just done over hot coals.

If I'm the only one eating shrimp, I cut the marinade in half and use 6 large shrimp from costco. I two or three at lunch the next day.

Lynda