Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If there's one thing you think pre-surgery members should know...

Lose as much weight as you can pre-op!! Exercise pre-op and start practicing all of the habits you will have to carry forward after surgery BEFORE surgery.

I lost 55lbs pre-op and exercised daily for 6 months before surgery. I believe this is what made me so strong for surgery and allowed me to heal quickly and not have ONE complication.

Start taking your Vitamins a month before surgery. That way you get into the habit of taking them and wont forget!

I followed the Protein first, 30 chews, and no drinking rule for 4 months pre-op to prepare myself for life with my sleeve. Made it much easier to adjust.

Just a little advice to help you with the "other side'.

Good luck!

Kelly

I havent been sleeved yet, but I think the most important thing is to make sure that you are really aware of what you're getting into. what I've gathered from all the posts I've read from the people who have been sleeved is that this is a truly life changing experience. You have to modify your eating as well as your thinking. You have to be ready to make conscience and wise decisions about what you are putting into your mouth all the time. All the time.

There may be loose skin to deal with later on too, so begin your research on panniculectomys and body lifts. It's early in the game, but it doesnt hurt to educate your self on what your options are if you happen to need them.

Expect the best, prepare for the worst. It's important to listen to every kind of story offered up by post-ops but never assume that you will be the rare patient that just coasts through everything. Also acid - be prepared to possibly be on some kind of acid blocker for the rest of your life. I am one year out and if I forget to take my Prevacid I know I am in for an uncomfortable day and a high likelihood of overeating. Everything everyone else has said about support networks and Protein and exercise and carb eradication is so awesome I don't need to add to it! =)

The one thing I would tell anyone is 'it's so worth it, it will change your life forever AND do not delay'.

I'm 1 year, and 2 weeks since sleeved, and everyday I look in the mirror my heart feels so happy! I'm living again, went to a dude ranch with my kids in Colorado last week, rode horses every day, went white Water rafting, did an overnight camp and slept under the stars...even roped cattle, drank beer, ate my face off and totally connected with my kids and husband.

My life is perfect, and being at 152 lbs has EVERYTHING to do with it....my 2 cents.

The one thing I would tell anyone is 'it's so worth it, it will change your life forever AND do not delay'.

I'm 1 year, and 2 weeks since sleeved, and everyday I look in the mirror my heart feels so happy! I'm living again, went to a dude ranch with my kids in Colorado last week, rode horses every day, went white Water rafting, did an overnight camp and slept under the stars...even roped cattle, drank beer, ate my face off and totally connected with my kids and husband.

My life is perfect, and being at 152 lbs has EVERYTHING to do with it....my 2 cents.

Absolutely!!! And skinny jeans too!!

Also you may not need acid blockers for the rest of your life. But most need them for a considerable time. I weaned off my PPI after a yearish.

Jane x

For me it was the 2 week liquid Protein diet I put myself on& walking one hour everyday before the surgery. This put me in the right frame of mind. I was so ready for this. These doctors are not just fixing things but saving & changing lives.

Hi Papa Jack! I give you so much credit for putting yourself on a 2 week liquid diet. Was it hard to do? I have to do a 10 day liquid diet that starts in 2 weeks.

Lose as much weight as you can pre-op!! Exercise pre-op and start practicing all of the habits you will have to carry forward after surgery BEFORE surgery.

I lost 55lbs pre-op and exercised daily for 6 months before surgery. I believe this is what made me so strong for surgery and allowed me to heal quickly and not have ONE complication.

Start taking your Vitamins a month before surgery. That way you get into the habit of taking them and wont forget!

I followed the Protein first, 30 chews, and no drinking rule for 4 months pre-op to prepare myself for life with my sleeve. Made it much easier to adjust.

Just a little advice to help you with the "other side'.

Good luck!

Kelly

Congrats on your great preparations, Kelly! I don't have as much time to prepare, but I've been doing what I can to try to "get ready". :)

I havent been sleeved yet, but I think the most important thing is to make sure that you are really aware of what you're getting into. what I've gathered from all the posts I've read from the people who have been sleeved is that this is a truly life changing experience. You have to modify your eating as well as your thinking. You have to be ready to make conscience and wise decisions about what you are putting into your mouth all the time. All the time.

There may be loose skin to deal with later on too, so begin your research on panniculectomys and body lifts. It's early in the game, but it doesnt hurt to educate your self on what your options are if you happen to need them.

Thanks. I know as long as I have my mind under control, I'll have the rest under control - although, sometimes it's easier said than done. I was advised to use lotions on my skin and be sure to drink the proper amount of liquids, along with weight and resistance training, to reduce the loose skin, but I was wondering if anyone had tried compression garments (Spanks type undergarments) to help reduce the loose skin. I've been reading up on it a little and it looks like that might work somewhat, too (I'll try anything that will help).

Expect the best, prepare for the worst. It's important to listen to every kind of story offered up by post-ops but never assume that you will be the rare patient that just coasts through everything. Also acid - be prepared to possibly be on some kind of acid blocker for the rest of your life. I am one year out and if I forget to take my Prevacid I know I am in for an uncomfortable day and a high likelihood of overeating. Everything everyone else has said about support networks and Protein and exercise and carb eradication is so awesome I don't need to add to it! =)

Sorry to hear about your acid problem. :( Did you have the problem before surgery to any degree? Is it a common occurence with the procedure? I'll have to research it, but thanks for the heads up.

I actually tend to sometimes have a "Murphy's Law" outlook, so I'm trying look at all of the positives of the procedure and not focus on possible unexpected issues, even though I know they're there.

What an inspiring reply!! I'm so happy for you and your family. Thanks! :D

Hi Papa Jack! I give you so much credit for putting yourself on a 2 week liquid diet. Was it hard to do? I have to do a 10 day liquid diet that starts in 2 weeks.

My doctor's office has a weight loss store for food. I bought Weight & Inches Protein powder. I had no problem because I wanted to do it. So get busy!

Good luck & welcome to your new life.

WOW, great thread, and TONS of great advice here.

If I was only able to offer ONE piece of advice it would be to always underfill your sleeve. Being overfull isn't fun and I avoid it at all costs.

At my 9 month checkup my dr. asked how much volume I was eating per meal. 3-5oz is my normal meal. He was shocked. I guess he sees too many people trying to push the limits of their sleeve. Some of it may be due to hunger (which even at 9 months out I still never experience TRUE hunger) so I suspect that since not all sleevers lose their hunger, that may be the reason for pushing the limits. But I am happy and satisfied with this amount of food and I've only been overfull about 3 times. Keep your meals small, don't force your sleeve to accept more than what it can handle.

Discuss with your doctor you pain options for after surgery. I just thought I would get a morphine pump because it seemed like everyone else did. Well, I woke up with NO pain medication and it was AWFUL! It took them awhile to get it to me through my IV. Also, DON'T compare yourself to everyone else. We are all on our own journey. I am losing a lot slower than many people on here, but I am happy with my accomplishments. I feel sick when I do extreme low carbing, so I don't do it. I eat Protein first and keep my carbs around 70.

I'm actually going to buy a placemat and write the things I need to remember on it (Protein first, chew chew chew, etc). and hope that will help. In 3 weeks I start a 10 day liquid diet pre-op and know that will be one HUGE hurdle to clear, but I have to remember it's to make the surgery easier. Thanks!

What an awesome idea! I'm going to borrow it. I'm having surgery Wed. Aug 10! Just a day away.

Thanks

Lyn

Me and my sister got sleeved on the same day/doctor/hospital. We are now almost 3 months out. Here is my little bit of advice:

1. Get a candle warmer from Michael's [about $4.99] this is to keep your clear liquids/full liquids/purees/mushie foods/broths/veggies warm because you are going to eat ALOT slower after your sleeve.

2. BEFORE your surgery make your favorite chicken/pea or whatever Soup - strain everything out - freeze the broth because you are going to get tired of drinking those sugary shakes and that chicken stock is going to tase like HEAVEN!!

3. Buy yourself a small pretty bowl, cup and saucer, one that will hold about a cup of whatever. I bought mine from a Chinese store in our city. Why??? Because the small bowl and/or cup will fit perfectly on your candle warmer and keep everything nice and warm as you spend at least an hour eating your Protein and veggies.

4. Stay away from carbs or at the very least limit them to 30-40 grams per day. This will help you loose weight quicker too!

5. Buy yourself some chopsticks -- why -- it will help you slow down with your eating when you are allowed to eat chunky regular food again.

6. Always underfill your sleeve because you do not want the discomfort of being too full.

7. MOVE!!! Walk as soon as possible. I was walking as soon as I was coherent enough after surgery which was about 4-5 hours. I had my little IV pole and my pain pump and I was walking like a 90 year old lady down those hospital halls!! :D :D As soon as my sister woke up we both walked the halls -- this will help speed up your recovery and help with gas pains too!

8. MOVE AGAIN!!! As soon as you are cleared by your doctor start working out at your local gym/neighborhood Y or just walking in your neighborhood -- get up and get out there!!! My sister and I both go to the gym 3-4 times per week and we just started taking Water aerobics. This week we started taking a Aqua Zoomba class -- Can't Wait!!

9. Eat your Protein first and drink that Water -- you will loose more weight this way.

Hope this helps and good luck on your weight loss journey!!