Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you 3 months or more out...

How long ago did you have your surgery? How much weight have you lost? What has changed in your life since surgerY? Positive things or Negatives things please. I am going to be sleeved next month and just curious =)

I had my surgery February 22, so I am 3 1/2 months out. I have lost 63 pounds and about the same number of inches as pounds. I have lost 7" from my bust and hips and 6" from my waist. I was wearing size 24 W - now i am wearing a size 16W. My BMI has dropped from 42 to 32. I have gotten off of most of my meds - still take one blood pressure med and estrogen (since I had a hysterectomy years ago) and all the recommended Vitamins. My bloodwork at the 3 month mark was remarkably better than pre-surgery. My total cholesterol, "good" cholesterol, and "bad" cholesterol were normal. My triglycerides were normal and half of their pre-surgery level. The only reading not normal is my Iron - I am anemic. I am taking Iron and eating red meat to fix that issue.

I am sleeping much better than before surgery. My sleep apnea is GONE. I still snore - so my husband is still having to tolerate that - but no gasping and choking in my sleep like before.

I feel much better than before surgery - my joints don't hurt nearly like they used to. I have a bad ankle (car wreck souvenir) and it doesn't bother me as much as it did. I am fatigued at the end of the day - but as I get my anemia under control - that will lessen.

The rapid weight loss has released all the estrogen stored in those fat cells into my bloodstream - so I am like a pubescent 13 year old - or a pregnant woman - my hormones are raging. I vary from wanting to tear someone's head off that ticked me off, to weeping easily, to wanting to distract my husband for fun and games. If that's the worst side effect from losing weight - I can handle that!

So far - no hair loss. But I am OK if it all falls out - that's what wigs are for. Even if it all goes - it will come back.

I am having reflux - but that is to be expected. And, I had reflux years ago when I was skinny - so I am pre-disposed to that problem. There are good meds out there, and I'm sure this problem will go away as I get further from my surgery date.

I don't have major issues with craving any food. I eat small quantities of the stuff I want. I focus on eating Protein first, then veggies. I eat some dairy (cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt). I don't eat complex carbs yet - don't have room for them after the important stuff is eaten.

I am much happier with myself than pre-surgery. As the t-shirt company's slogan says "Life is Good."

I am five months out from surgery and have lost 50.5 lbs. The biggest positive thing that has changed for me is that food no longer rules my life, at least not the way it used to. I lost my hunger after surgery so now my food concerns are making sure I have met my Vitamin, Calcium, Water, and Protein goals for the day. Before surgery I was hungry all the time and had to eat until I was stuffed and I did. I saw my future as getting more and more obese and less mobile. I am an active person and love fitting into my sports gear that was too small before. I am planning a scuba trip and I am looking forward to diving and diving and not getting too tired to keep going.

Negative things--I am taking lots of pills (multi-vit, D, B12, B1, Biotin, Calcium citrate) and I am not a pill person, I don't like to take any kind of pill. And I have to buy new clothes because although I am shopping in my closet for now, most things are 20 years out-of-date or I didn't really like them the first time around. This time I refuse to buy anything that I don't absolutely love. I think when I am at goal I am going to hire a stylist for a day to plan a wardrobe for me.

How long ago did you have your surgery? How much weight have you lost? What has changed in your life since surgerY? Positive things or Negatives things please. I am going to be sleeved next month and just curious =)

It's been 4 months since my surgery and I could not have imagines such a drastic change. I've lost 80 pounds so far. I started at 330 pounds and I'm currently at 250. my clothing went from a size 26/28 to a 18 on the bottom and Large/XL on top. It feels fantastic to walk into any store and know that those clothes will fit you without have to go to a plus size section. Everything feels like it's a positive as I had no issues with my surgery. After the first two days I was no longer taking any pain pills and was able to return to work the next week. My advice is to walk walk walk after surgery, the more you do the better you feel. The only negative thing for me right now is that I cant have any beer however I've established a love for wine I didn't knew I had ( no gas). I eat anything I want the portion is just so much smaller. My husband has been the best support I could've asked for and I hope you have someone like that in your life. Good luck

Hi, I am nine months out. Lots has changed. I sleep better and I didn't even have sleep apnea. I can feel my bones who knew I had hip bones. Heat doesn't bother me like it use to. Work outs are easier. My blood pressure is great no more pills for that or cholesterol. Size 6 instead of 3X. I can tuck in shirts. People noticing me and getting more attention. The list goes on and on. The negatives well the loose skin and sad looking boobs.

Hi, Congrats!!!

I love being a bit more comfortable not being the LARGEST person in a store, a resturant, at church, etc.... Being over 300 lbs, you dont quite just fit in, you are always noticed as the "big woman" where ever you go..... I have lost 70 lbs, have much more to lose, but I am feeling more comfortable with myself. I totally love going down in clothing sizes!!!

I really do not have any negatives, for me, the surgery has been a blessing, like a new lease on life! Today at 259 lbs I actually started looking into 5K walk/run marathons! I never would have dreamed a year ago I would pay attention to food, protien, carbs, etc.. and I would have bet you money that you never would have gotten me on a treadmill or exercise routine.. I am now! It is a great feeling!

Good Luck

I was sleeved 3/16/11...I am 3 mo's out and feel fantastic!! I started at 251 before pre-op diet and have lost 45 lbs to date. Here are just a few things I have noticed:

• No more aching joints

• Not as out of breath when walking up and down 3 flights to my apartment

• Not as hot

• No diabetes meds

• No liver pains

• Not hungry all the time

• Love going to the stores to try on clothes and find I need a SMALLER size

• Not tired all the time as before

• Feel younger

• More active with my family

• TMI...Being able to clean my ENTIRE body with out struggling

• TMI...Being able to wipe with ease after going potty

But the BEST THING is....Making love with my husband!! Who has also lost weight as he has been drinking my Protein shakes- 3 times a day and a sensible meal for dinner. He's lost 20 lbs. Yea Pookie!! After gaining so much weight through our 18 year marriage...sex was quite difficult and not worth having. Now?? Well...let's just say everything is A-O-K in the boudoir!! ;)

I love this thread! I'm having my surgery this summer and it's good to read this stuff. Congrats to all of you. :)