Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you first left the hospital

Were you able to go straight home from the hospital and take care of yourself after surgery or did you need someone to stay with you? Just wondering as I am single with a 9 year old daughter. People are trying to get me to stay at their house after surgery but I think I will be able to come home. I just can not get as comfortable at other peoples houses. I want my own couch and bed and TV and kitty cats! My family thinks I will need help but I think I will be just fine if they just check in on me like twice a day! :P

Thoughts??

13 days till my sleeve!!!

I think you will do fine you ju st have to be sure that you don't lift more than 10 for the first couple of weeks..I needed no one to take care of me post hospital.

I think you will be fine. A 9 year old should be able to help you out if you need it.

My husband took a week off work, but ended up going into work several days because of reviews he had to write. But I was fine to fix my own liquids and walk around the house. When I got really tired, I just laid down on the couch and watched daytime crap TV. The first week it would be nice to have someone fix your daughter's meals for her. Other than that, you will be perfectly fine.

My husband only took off the first two days I was home. I only really needed him to help me with getting out of the recliner, I couldn't push the foot thing back down by myself and I definitely needed help standing up, my incision pain was the worst for the first couple days but i was lucky, no gas pains at all and I took no pain meds once at home.

I was completely incapable of getting in out and of bed by myself and had to sleep in the recliner for two days and then once I did make it in the bed, I had to sleep on my back for about 2 weeks, then I was able to move to my side and eventually stomach again.

Everyone's experience varies. I fixed all my own meals and walked around on my own but got tired very quickly.

My sister came and stayed with me for the first week after surgery. I love her to death for that and am appreciative of the thought, but I wish that I had done it on my own. I was perfectly capable of take care of myself and I much rather would have been able to do things on my own, at my own pace. I really think that to each their own, but if you're more comfortable in your own space, then stay at home. You should be fine.

Thanks everyone! Now to convince my family that I really can just come home by myself!!!

My husband took only the day I came home from the hospital. He did call and texted often the next few days. If your daughter is dependable, she should be able to at least help you with making sure you get your fluids in. She may not be able to help you get up but she can watch you and if needed, she can always call someone if she gets concerned. Good Luck.

Hi, My husband was around but I think I would have done just fine on my own I believe he was gone part of my first day home. You of course will need someone to drive you anywhere you may need to go or to get anything you might need. My kitties were not too pleased with the fact that I could not hold them the first 6 weeks(G)

Hi, My husband was around but I think I would have done just fine on my own I believe he was gone part of my first day home. You of course will need someone to drive you anywhere you may need to go or to get anything you might need. My kitties were not too pleased with the fact that I could not hold them the first 6 weeks(G)

Ha! Yes my kitties will have to settle for sitting on my lap for a while! I have all of my supplies ready and waiting for my return home so I should not have to leave the house for a few days except for my walks. My parents live near if I have an emergency and my daughter is helpful! I think I will be fine on my own. Just have to take this opportunity to stand up for what I want which is something I am working on! Someone is going to be very offended that I do not come home with them. But this is just about me for once. I will soon be 40 years old and can make my own decisions!

UGH family dynamics! They mean well!

Were you able to go straight home from the hospital and take care of yourself after surgery or did you need someone to stay with you? Just wondering as I am single with a 9 year old daughter. People are trying to get me to stay at their house after surgery but I think I will be able to come home. I just can not get as comfortable at other peoples houses. I want my own couch and bed and TV and kitty cats! My family thinks I will need help but I think I will be just fine if they just check in on me like twice a day! :P

Thoughts??

13 days till my sleeve!!!

Get the help. I planned on going home the next day as scheduled and ended up in the hospital for three extra days. My surgery went well they just apparently pulled my breathing tube out of my throat too fast and swelled my throat to the point where I could not swallow anything. Crazy situation and I'm sure it is very uncommon. I had my best friend some stay at my home and then my mother as well. I am married with two kids and I knew my husband was not going to make it without someone around, lol. I'm glad I called them to come. I was so tired after getting home and like you I just wanted to lie in the bed. The comfort of knowing that someone could bring me foods (I was upstairs) or that my kids were taken care of made me feel at ease. By the way I have a 2 and 10 year old and my 10 year old was so worried about me I'm glad my mother was here to distract him most of the time.

Perhaps it will soften the blow if you just tell them "I really want to be at home and around my own things, but I would appreciate it if I can call you if I need you and if you would call around 4 PM (or whenever you want) each day to check on me."

Still lets them feel useful and acknowledged but lets you be home alone. You could also consider, if your daughter would enjoy it, just letting them take her for a day or two.