Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay. I have read different topics on this question.(at what point does the weight loss slow down) I have read where it is after six months, one year. And it depends on the individual. Well I had a converstion with my hair dresser ( who had RNY) she had said to me that now that I have reached my three month mark my weight loss will slow way down. Now if I'm not mistaken, I was to understand that the honeymoon period can be anywhere between a year and eighteen months. Then the weight loss will slow down. So, am I to believe the articles and the individuals that have lived this period or my hair dresser ( that seems to be hell bent on dissing the sleeve???) I think I'll go with the articles and the ones who have lived it. She seems to be another hater of the sleeve. She was doe eyed when I told her how much weight I lost. She is almost four years out and still not at goal. So yea I'm sticking with the ones who have lived it.

Deb

Both my surgeon who did the actual surgery and now my follow-up surgeon (moved) both said it's between 18 months to 2 years!

What do you mean by slow down? I think it all depends on expectations. I was losing 1-2 pounds a day at first. Of course it slowed down. No one's body could keep that up. At 6 months out, I am losing 3-5 pounds a month. Then again, I am not too careful about the carbs, calories etc. Others who stick to the strict rules keep losing 2-3 pounds a week until goal. It also depends on how much you have to lose. If you have 200 pounds to lose, it is much different than if you have 100 pounds to lose. Those who have more to lose, tend to lose faster/more those first 6 months.

From the articles I've researched, and all of the maintenance VSG'ers I talk with all state that within the first 12-18 months is the "honeymoon phase" and all that depends on the amount of weight a patient needs to lose. I look at Jimbo who has lost 300lbs with the sleeve in 18 months, and I think he just hit goal. His weight loss was extremely steady, and he, of course, dropped weight fast initially just like other heavyweights, but he continued to lose well past the first 3 months. I personally lost at the same rate after 3 months, and even with adding a few more grams of carbs until I hit goal in 6.5 months. My weight loss only slowed down when I purposely added more calories, carbs and fats to my daily intake.

The percentage of weight loss is what really needs to be considered vs. actual pounds lost.

For someone that has 150lbs to lose, they might lose more pounds faster than say someone that only has 75lbs to lose, but at the end of a 12 month period, if you compare the actual percentage of weight lost, the numbers are nearly identical.

According to my surgeon it's round the 6-9 month mark, but it can vary depending on loads of different factors. I had a lowe BMI so I had less to lose but still not at goal at10 1/2 months out, but it's completely my fault, i hate to admit it :(

I started with 102-105 pounds to lose. So far I have lost 45 pounds. ( I haven't weighed this week) with that amount to lose would I be considered a lite weight? By that I mean is it possible that I would lose the total weight or as some say only about 60-70 pounds? I have read so many different opinions on this subject that it is giving me a Migraine. To be straight I do not indulge in what put me at that weight to begin with. I abide by the guidelines that were put in front of me. So with that my brain is thinking yes you can lose every bit of the excess weight. However, I am second guessing myself I know that I shouldn't . I am very strict on what I eat and the exercise that I do. But I do. Thanks everyone for responding. I won't let this ruin my day.

Deb

Poo poo her! I will be a year out day after tomorrow! I reached goal in just under five months and am now under goal. (i have been since December!) I could continue to lose weight if I wanted to!! I'm sure she is envious of you success....at least that is what it sounds like. I am certain the sleeve will eventually become the new 'gold standard'. I personally know 13 people who've had RNY - only one reached goal and has not started gaining weight back. She had surgery five years ago. The others...some never reached goal and all have gained some back, more than a few have gained quite a bit back. Two have mentioned a second surgery to 'tighten' things up.

Okay. I have read different topics on this question.(at what point does the weight loss slow down) I have read where it is after six months, one year. And it depends on the individual. Well I had a converstion with my hair dresser ( who had RNY) she had said to me that now that I have reached my three month mark my weight loss will slow way down. Now if I'm not mistaken, I was to understand that the honeymoon period can be anywhere between a year and eighteen months. Then the weight loss will slow down. So, am I to believe the articles and the individuals that have lived this period or my hair dresser ( that seems to be hell bent on dissing the sleeve???) I think I'll go with the articles and the ones who have lived it. She seems to be another hater of the sleeve. She was doe eyed when I told her how much weight I lost. She is almost four years out and still not at goal. So yea I'm sticking with the ones who have lived it.

Deb

Deb - I underestimated what I could do with this "tool". I wanted to lose, I thought I'd be doing good if I lost 65 lbs!!! It started falling off of me so quickly, I knew I could reach my surgeons goal and then my 'personal' secret goal. To wear a size 8!!! I am down 94 lbs, give or take a lb or two on any given day.....I wear size 4 and 6 jeans, depending on the brand!!! Never in my wildest dreams!!! I was never an exercise guru....I didn't want to lose weight doing something I KNEW I'd lose interest in....I knew I'd have to make life changes I could live with. I did it with food. First of all we have forced portion control...wonderful, but I don't eat bread at home (very rarely do I) - no chips, I am very aware of every single thing I put in my mouth. Before, I mindlessly ate. Now it has to count. I do 'graze' during the day because I have to or else I'd continue to lose. Graham crackers and Natural Peanut Butter is my favorite! I split a piece of pumpkin bread at Star Bucks with my husband every Friday night.....life is "normal" now....I think this is how a normally thin person lives....wrapping my head around this is the hardest part, getting past the guilt of eating and feeling no guilt. You'll get to YOUR goal....look how far you are already!!! You're doing fabulous!!!!

I started with 102-105 pounds to lose. So far I have lost 45 pounds. ( I haven't weighed this week) with that amount to lose would I be considered a lite weight? By that I mean is it possible that I would lose the total weight or as some say only about 60-70 pounds? I have read so many different opinions on this subject that it is giving me a Migraine. To be straight I do not indulge in what put me at that weight to begin with. I abide by the guidelines that were put in front of me. So with that my brain is thinking yes you can lose every bit of the excess weight. However, I am second guessing myself I know that I shouldn't . I am very strict on what I eat and the exercise that I do. But I do. Thanks everyone for responding. I won't let this ruin my day.

Deb

My doctor says 6-8 months is when most people lose weight the quickest. Then it slows down. He also says there one should be able to lose indefinitely if you continue to follow the plan. What happens to some is that over time they add foods back in and/or start snacking. Those of us with a lot of weight to lose may take two years but it can and has been done. He said on average women lose for 12-14 months but followed it up with what I just indicated. Of course most women will likely be at goal by then.

Ps. Those statistics that state people lose up to 70% of their excess weight are of course averages. On average or generally this is what people lose. Some will, as many on this board have, lose 100%. Some will lose less.

I think this is very much individual. I reached goal weight in just about ten months and though the weight loss was slower at the end it was still good enough for me - and most importantly, it was easy to do! Now ten months after that I've purposely regained about 6 pounds a few motnhs ago as I was trying to get pregnant and my goal weight just left me a bit too skinny for my own taste: jutting collar and hip bones. Anyway, it worked fine (and until I decided to gain those few pounds, maintaining was easy, too).