Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 2 weeks post-op! On a different plan than most because I had my surgery here in Austria; I did not have a prolonged liquids or mushies stage after surgery. They transitioned me to mushies in the hospital (they kept me a week, that's just what they do).

I haven't felt hungry but about once, and I bet that was acid.

After surgery, I went 4 days without eating anything at all! Or drinking anything at all - they gave me IV fluids and that was it. I wasn't hungry; it was incredible to me.

However, once they gave me broth and I started to feel better, I started to obsess about food. But I still didn't feel hungry. It's like the stomach wasn't there at all -- no feeling in the belly for food, none of those craving "pulls" I would get where I felt like my tummy was about to jump out of my throat and eat stuff all by itself, hehe. Just in the head. It was very weird!

As soon as I got to eat some semi-solid foods, though, those cravings pretty much disappeared and I haven't been hungry since.

Just wanted you to know that most people do the "obsess about food" thing when they are on liquids but find they are no longer obsessing when they can actually, you know, eat something. :) I was worried it meant the surgery didn't work for me, but obviously it did!

Hi kelly, i read your post and was relieved that someone else feels the way i do! I had my surgury on sept 21, and i have lost 70 lbs., but I am hungry all of the time.. i have reached that "stand still" point and am very frustrated. I am always hungry and am trying everything i can to get a grip on the situation. I am trying more Water and Protein throughout the day. I also take a ppi 2 times a day. it sounds like you had your surgury not to long ago... i hope that the hunger pains stop for you cuz it is very frustrating. good luck...

I am a month out today and YES I do still get hungry. I am hungry almost all of the time! NOT HEAD HUNGER, I never had that!! My stomach growls all the time! And yes, I do take a PPI, twice a day.

I am hoping that once I am able to eat more solid food, it will subside. This was the biggest hope for me pre-op that the hunger issue would go away and so far it has not! :(

I hope it does for you!

Kelly

I am one week and one day out and I'm still hungry. I just ate one egg with a little cheese and I feel like I haven't eaten in days. I thought I was suposed to feel full after a meal? Somebody tell me this is normal, cuz I'm starting to wonder if he even took part of my stomache out. lol

I am one week and one day out and I'm still hungry. I just ate one egg with a little cheese and I feel like I haven't eaten in days. I thought I was suposed to feel full after a meal? Somebody tell me this is normal, cuz I'm starting to wonder if he even took part of my stomache out. lol

are you supposed to be off of liquids yet? Most are not for 2-4 weeks... Just take it slow. the stomach may still be numb from surgery and you might not even be able to tell yet what is going on. Also the hunger hormone is still in your system for a little while. Everyone is different, just take it slow. Things will change. It may not even be hunger that you are feeling.Make sure you are drinking your Water, and Protein drinks. Are you taking a PPI for acid? I did not lose my hunger, but it is much reduced and manageable.

I dont not get physically hungry. If I keep myself busy i will not feel the need to eat, but i definitely have the urge to eat and snack...and i get head hunger and cravings.

Some days I feel no hunger at all and ahve to remind myself to eat (most days) and then some of the days when I go to the gym my hunger is off the charts. But even on those days only a few bites of food satisifes the hunger and then I'm fine. I get a lot of the rumbling noises coming from my stomach but I know I am not physically hungry so I don't feed the beast :) On the days I go to the gym I found it helps with my hunger if I eat some type of complex carb before going that way my body is plenty fueled up and I don't get so hungry afterwards. (I eat the complex carb whether I am hungry or not and even if it is only a bite or two it helps for the whole day)

Jo Jo, I feel the same way! I am hungry a lot. I had surgery on 3/13/13. I'm back to work today and it's helpful to have the distraction of work, but right now my stomach is so empty and I can't wait to get home and feed it! (By the way, what is "ppi?" Everybody mentions it, but I don't know what it means and its' driving me crazy!). Anyway, I DO notice that if I eat something more solid, like my refried Beans, I am satisfied. I don't feel full or stuffed, but I can eat and no longer feel hunger for about two hours. But just today I was about to call the doctor and ask him if he really did do this procedure or not! I was thinking just like you're thinking. Another thing - I can drink tons of Water at a time. I don't need to sip. Nothing happens. Last night, I chugged to the count of 8 swallows and I stopped and waited for something to happen, but nothing did. Is that even normal?! But I am down almost 20 pounds in a little over two weeks. Yesterday I ate too much and gained .7 of a pound back. I almost went berserk this morning, but I have calmed myself down this afternoon. I just want to know that I'm not alone, and I want to know that this will work. If I spent all the money (paid cash) and put myself through all that for nothing, I will just go insane!!! ;)

Jo Jo, I feel the same way! I am hungry a lot. I had surgery on 3/13/13. I'm back to work today and it's helpful to have the distraction of work, but right now my stomach is so empty and I can't wait to get home and feed it! (By the way, what is "ppi?" Everybody mentions it, but I don't know what it means and its' driving me crazy!). Anyway, I DO notice that if I eat something more solid, like my refried Beans, I am satisfied. I don't feel full or stuffed, but I can eat and no longer feel hunger for about two hours. But just today I was about to call the doctor and ask him if he really did do this procedure or not! I was thinking just like you're thinking. Another thing - I can drink tons of Water at a time. I don't need to sip. Nothing happens. Last night, I chugged to the count of 8 swallows and I stopped and waited for something to happen, but nothing did. Is that even normal?! But I am down almost 20 pounds in a little over two weeks. Yesterday I ate too much and gained .7 of a pound back. I almost went berserk this morning, but I have calmed myself down this afternoon. I just want to know that I'm not alone, and I want to know that this will work. If I spent all the money (paid cash) and put myself through all that for nothing, I will just go insane!!! ;)

PPI is proton pump inhibiter...acid blocker

You might feel hungry now you are eating pureed? Anyway, when you can eat more solid Protein, that will help a lot.

I would watch chugging water... even if you don't feel anything, your stomach had a bunch of nerves cut and you don't really know what is happening there just yet. At two years I can chug 5 mouth fulls, then have to wait for it to go down (which it does pretty quickly) Don't want to stress those staples!

Congrats on the 20! Do you really think gaining .7 pounds in a day is a sign that this surgery wont work? Its hard to eat too much at this point... you have been losing 10 pounds a week girl! The body needs a break now and then, and eating salt, or gaining muscle will give you a little jump, so relax! This is a bumpy ride, need to settle in with some chill, and don't forget to enjoy!

Feedyoureye, thank you for the excellent response to my long rant! It really helped. I am still up that .7, but i agree with what you said - i've dropped a lot quickly & i need to give my body time to catch up. Good tip on the Water too. I never thought about it that way. Thanks for taking the time to respond! Happy Easter!!!

I am a month out today and YES I do still get hungry. I am hungry almost all of the time! NOT HEAD HUNGER' date=' I never had that!! My stomach growls all the time! And yes, I do take a PPI, twice a day.

I am hoping that once I am able to eat more solid food, it will subside. This was the biggest hope for me pre-op that the hunger issue would go away and so far it has not! :(

I hope it does for you!

Kelly[/quote']

There are some on here who swear it's acid, but I get hungry too and I take two ppis a day! I can eat and it's gone for several hours and it's back. I actually get physically hungrier than I did preop. I never ate during the day, but once I ate dinner it was Katy bar the door! I love that i can eat three shrimp or a small piece of chicken and be nice and full. The good kind of full!

Feedyoureye, thank you for the excellent response to my long rant! It really helped. I am still up that .7, but i agree with what you said - i've dropped a lot quickly & i need to give my body time to catch up. Good tip on the Water too. I never thought about it that way. Thanks for taking the time to respond! Happy Easter!!!

My pleasure Jilliemay!

I am five weeks out and don't get hungry at all. But after a length of time without eating, my body tells me it needs food. It still growls and makes crazy noises when I drink or eat but I think that's contributed to gas still, I'm still taking gasX almost everyday and it helps!