Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged and disappointed

One would think I could see it. And I can in my face...sometimes. But I can't tell in my body...I keep asking Hubby "Is my body changing? Am I really losing weight??" I think he's getting sick of my obsession.

I went down 1 size (barely) in shirts....the seat of my pants in baggy but still fits around the waist (and is a bit snug actually)

I thought that after losing a good amount of weight I'd feel better about myself, and about how I look (which is odd because I totally did this for my health and not for my looks blink.gif) I am just not seeing enough change...sad.gif

I also feel like my weight in crawling off and I want it to FLY off. That may be an unrealistic dream. I don't know. I started out in a TIGHT size 26. I might be able to wear a 24, I haven't really tried that size yet. I'm squeezing into 2x tops because...well I don't know...maybe I think if I WILL it it won't look like I'm a sausage ready for the grill?

I only have 1 bra that still fits...it's black...I wore a white T-shirt to church today rolleyes.gif

Hubby dug through a drawer this afternoon and found 2 more bras that were too tight 6 months ago but now they fit ok...they are also black...and one of them makes me look like my boobs are attached to my chin. ohmy.gif

My dress shoes fit better today...guess that's good, I've lost weight in my feet. I betcha no one's ever paid attention to my feet...except the people who get the unpleasant job of fixing them up and shaving callouses off after I've neglected them for months. unsure.gif

So I have gone down 1 size in bras...and 1 size in shirts so long as I don't plan to inhale exhale or otherwise move. I could claim that my jeans are "Hammer Pants" But my feet look totally skinny and Hot!dry.gifsad.gif

One would think I could see it. And I can in my face...sometimes. But I can't tell in my body...I keep asking Hubby "Is my body changing? Am I really losing weight??" I think he's getting sick of my obsession.

I went down 1 size (barely) in shirts....the seat of my pants in baggy but still fits around the waist (and is a bit snug actually)

I thought that after losing a good amount of weight I'd feel better about myself, and about how I look (which is odd because I totally did this for my health and not for my looks blink.gif) I am just not seeing enough change...sad.gif

I also feel like my weight in crawling off and I want it to FLY off. That may be an unrealistic dream. I don't know. I started out in a TIGHT size 26. I might be able to wear a 24, I haven't really tried that size yet. I'm squeezing into 2x tops because...well I don't know...maybe I think if I WILL it it won't look like I'm a sausage ready for the grill?

I only have 1 bra that still fits...it's black...I wore a white T-shirt to church today rolleyes.gif

Hubby dug through a drawer this afternoon and found 2 more bras that were too tight 6 months ago but now they fit ok...they are also black...and one of them makes me look like my boobs are attached to my chin. ohmy.gif

My dress shoes fit better today...guess that's good, I've lost weight in my feet. I betcha no one's ever paid attention to my feet...except the people who get the unpleasant job of fixing them up and shaving callouses off after I've neglected them for months. unsure.gif

So I have gone down 1 size in bras...and 1 size in shirts so long as I don't plan to inhale exhale or otherwise move. I could claim that my jeans are "Hammer Pants" But my feet look totally skinny and Hot!dry.gifsad.gif

Did you take your measurements at the start ? I didn't and I wish I did. I have never been a measurement person and so scoffed at the idea...and now I know for the times like yours I would love to have that to fall back on and reassure myself.

I still am somewhat flummoxed by the fact that you have lost 47 pounds and can't see it! I have only lost 35 and my clothes are all so loose- looser than I would expect at this weight and that I ascribe to the magic of low carb and high Protein. Are you sure you aren't just suffering from that weird body dysmorphia we seem to get while losing so much weight? Tell us more about how it has been going...

I don't know but here is a giant hug anyway!

Are you losing weight but retaining Water maybe? I would try and flood it out by drinking constantly. You should definately be seeing it by now, but I've heard a few people have this issue and all of a sudden see it a drop off. It'll happen. Unfortunately your fat has it's own timeline : S

I just thought of something- do you exercise? That is supposed to be key. I have been walking like a madwoman every day since I finally got some energy back at week 2, and last week added an hour of Water walking five days a week as well.

I only see I have lost weight when I look at pictures of myself, but I can't see it in the mirror.

I am still seeing a psychologist weekly (I want to be helped dealing with the sleeve and the problems I always had with food) and she says that's because it's difficult for everyone to get used to the new self. That it'll take awhile until I can see the changes, because I have always seen a big me and my brain is having trouble seeing the new me. Same reason why most of us still go for the big clothes, when I see size 10 clothes I never believe I can fit in them and always try bigger sizes first, then I go back to size 10. I do it all the time.

Give yourself some time. What do people around you say? Do THEY notice your change? They are probably better judges than you right now, listen to them!

Hi Hot Feet ;)

I don't know if you are like me, but I lose from head to toe, literally. My face, chin, breasts, upper abdomen, then it takes FOREVER to look or feel like the rest of my body has lost any weight.....except for my feet! I think my feet was one of the first things I notice too. It's truly weird, but I carry a lot of weight in my tummy, thighs and booty, so I guess it's gonna take a while for that to look different to us. As someone else said, other people are probably noticing a difference, even if they aren't saying. Or it's just enough weight loss that they notice something is different, but can't put their finger on what it is. Some days I feel thinner, but most of the time I still feel really fat. My bras also got too big before anything else. I wish we could pick where we lose weight, I would have liked to keep my boobs, but after reading the boards for so long, I was kinda prepared for this too.

As another poster said too, I can definitely see a difference if I look at pics. Not that there's many of me around cuz I completely despise my pic being taken. But try to dig out some if you have any current ones to compare. And measuring is a great idea too. The scales just don't move fast enough for any of us, it's one thing we can all agree on! But we're gonna get there, slowly but surely!!

:)

Hi Hot Feet ;)

I don't know if you are like me, but I lose from head to toe, literally.

I think this is it exactly...a little change everywhere and non of it dramatic. I lose in my face feet and hands first apparently. huh.gif

Try not to be too hard on yourself, when you want something so bad it is hard to wait. You will be successful, I promise! I started out at a tight 24, more comfortable in a 26. Initially, I would read posts about people dropping sizes and I wasn't really going down in sizes. I was so worried that I had gone through everything and was just going to lose about 20 or 30 pounds. But......it will happen! Today, I am 11 months out and I am wearing a size 14, sometimes a 12. I can wear mediums, I can shop in any store. Initially, my goal was to weigh 150, but it is no longer about a number for me. I feel so good and my life has changed so much for the better and THAT is what I did this for. I went on a rafting trip on a river this last weekend, there was a Water slide at the resort that you had to walk up a gazillion steps to get to and I did it - over and over again! I straddled the side of that raft and oared down that river for 6 hours! I climbed up and down hills with no problems, not out of breath or feeling like I was gonna die. You are gonna get there too, hang in there.....work hard at learning new eating habits.....becoming healthy. The skinny you is in there and she will show up and knock everyone's socks off!! :D

My feet and face both did get a bit smaller first. Weird. I agree that it is annoying to lose in butt/thighs but not abdomen -- so trousers are tight in the waist and baggy in the arse. <_< Soooo attractive...

The only area that seems to be not losing at all is my arms, damn their fatness!! I can fit a medium or large shirt most of the time, but often they are too tight in the effing arms. :angry: That's going to be some seriously attractive baggy skin I will someday get there...I'll have to take up bingo straightaway to use them to full effect. ;)

Try not to worry about. Although easier said than done. As of today, I have lost 62 lbs and I am still wearing my same bottoms. They are finally getting a little loose. I had to break down a buy a couple of t-shirts because my 3X ones looked like a tent on me. I have also lost from the top down.

We will get there.

I am down 69 lbs and still wearing the same clothes...i refuse to buy until i am in a noticeably new size.

dont get me wrong I have to belt my pants and the booty is saggy but it isnt enough of a difference for me to start spending money yet.

i too dont see it when I look in the mirror but definitely do in pics, and everyone comments on it so they see it. I agree with the exercise.

Meggie I wish I had measured also

I have lost 53 and I can kinda see it in my face but other than that some of my tops aren't as a tight as they used to be. I can't really tell. I didn't measure from the start either but it isn't too late to do it now. Some of us are just starting our journey and still have quite a ways to go. I think I may just go home from work today and take my measurements.

I have lost 77lbs, 55 being pre-op. However, everyone just goes on and on about how skinny I am!!

I DON'T SEE IT! I still see me as being 280lbs. I mean, I know I look a lot better, but I sure don't see a skinny person! I am tall 5ft 8 and have always carried my weight well, but I just don't see skinny.

I have gone from a tight 22/24 to a 12/14 and always think that when I pick up that size it will not fit me. I still go to the women's section at the store's when I go to get something new!

It is weird what our minds do to us! :(

Kelly

The smaller you get, the fewer pounds it takes to equal a change in clothing size. Hang in there, keep the faith. There is NO WAY to lose 47 lbs and it NOT be noticable. Trust me on that.

Go to the grocery store. Line up 47 lbs of pork loin or some other fatty, squishy meat. Look at it. Look at it hard. Touch it. Heck, hold a few up against your body. Try to lift it if you can. THAT is what is no longer on your frame. It makes it tangible. Do it. It is awe inspiring and self esteem building. If people stare, screw 'em. Or just wink and say "DAMN I love pork!" Most likely though nobody will even notice, but you will come away feeling amazing about yourself and what you have done.

You are doing so great. Truly.

I know exactly what you mean! It seems that plus size clothes cover a wider span of weight...womens clothes just make no sense anyway with sizes...agreed? Anyway, the drop for me from 18 to 16 was a LOT of weight but from 16 to 14 seems to be moving much faster. I think with misses sizes 10lbs can be a size where in plus sizes 40lbs can be a size!