Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I officially The Lowest Loser??

Okay, since I have some energy back and only occasionally feel icky I am learning to accept this. But for those of you who think you are slow losers I thought I would share with you my astounding stats:

Sleeved almost 6 weeks ago and I have lost as of this morning: 10.5 pounds

Ta-da....drop the confetti....flash the strob lights.....whoohoooooo

(Moment of pride and clarity: 36.5 total. I lost the rest pre-surgery just dieting in 4 months. Odd, huh.)

Sadly, I have been guessing. This was stopping by the center's office and off their official scales. I actually thought I was doing better.

3 to 4 ounce capacity. Eating 5 times a day.

Oh well. I figure things will eventually change and obviously I was never going to get skinny on my own. Thankfully, I only want to get down to moderately fat. My thyroid was checked about 18 months ago but they are going to check it again next week. They initially thought I was not counting my food right but then they saw everything is packaged. I mean, how can you mis-count a 3 ounce white fish fillet or a large egg? I am NOT a from scratch type of cook.

My honest instinct is that this surgery just happened to coincide with menopause for me. So I really think that's a piece of why my poor confused body doesn't know which direction to go. So my next step might be a year or two of hormone replacement. I know it's risky but using them temporarily to see if it helps with the weight loss --- well there are times when the risk of not doing thing is as risky as doing them as I have learned from this whole experience.

And I'm so glad that almost 40 pounds are gone forever. It does make a huge difference now that summer is here!

You are right the weight did not come on over night. It is good that you are checking with your doctor's to see if you have something that is holding your back. How much more weight do you want to lose?

This may not console you any, but it seems to me that just from reading a lot of posts, those that lost a lot on the pre-op diet, do not lose very fast right after surgery. That's just my observation from a very limited sample so take from that what you will. It does always pick back up though after a few weeks. So just hang in there and stay on plan and I'll bet you will be losing with the best of them very soon!

Almost 40 lbs is amazing, and I've heard the same about those of us who lost weight prior to surgery. We may not lose as much immediately post op or stall sooner or for longer. I am ok with it as long as the scales eventually move and downward. Good for you on getting testing done, this is important. Congrats on your success so far!!!

:)

I have always been a slow slow loser but sadly you do take the prize!

I know you know all these things but I just want to be sure you are drinking all your Water, counting carbs, and getting all the Protein. Are you logging your food? Sometimes it is eye opening.

I only say this because I want you to have the results of your dreams, not because I am jumping to the conclusion that you are doing the wrong thing!

I have always been a slow slow loser but sadly you do take the prize!

I know you know all these things but I just want to be sure you are drinking all your Water, counting carbs, and getting all the Protein. Are you logging your food? Sometimes it is eye opening.

I only say this because I want you to have the results of your dreams, not because I am jumping to the conclusion that you are doing the wrong thing!

Plenty of Water, logging every bite. I have yet to exceed 500 calories and, as I said, virtually everything I eat is packaged food so I don't think there's much error on the calculation. I am at a 3 to 4 ounce capacity so it's hard to explain, but I couldn't "cheat" even if I wanted to right now. And right now, I don't have much desire to. I'm lucky. I don't have an aversion to eating like some folks go through but it's certainly not a joy. The only real shock will be the day I exceed 500 calories. That's my own personal goal right now. The eye opening part to me is the days when it's 6 p.m. and I'm still under 300 calories. I hate having to eat after 7 p.m. so those days I have to stay up later. Talk about feeling old.

And no I am not getting all the Protein. If you do the math, without the Protein Shots, it's almost impossible to get 60+ grams on less than 500 calories. We are not to be doing liquid. I occasionally cheat as the protein is more important than the rules but I try to honor the program. Considering my capacity I am getting in the 50's which I think is decent.. I am also not counting carbs. That would be an exercise in futility on an almost all protein diet. They tally on the program I use but my NUT said to ignore carbs until I am at least at 650 calories and have a bit of shimmy room to get some in.

It's okay that you ask this. But I will say that if I was eating 1k a day I would still find it shocking that at 250 poundish now, that would be keeping me from losing weight since 1200 calories is the sort of gold standard for a classic diet. But as an FYI, my ex was asking all of the same things. He's in the process of being approved for gastric bypass and I think it scares him to see what's happening with me. So now he's decided it's because I can't eat enough. As I said, he's my ex. :D Oddly, he's a nice man tho so I just let him talk.

My weight loss dream is to feel better. While I don't feel horrible, better feels a long way off at this time. But I actually think I'm lucky as this has so little to do with the number on the scale that this doesn't bother me all that much. I want to work it out and I wish I were losing faster, but I don't have a gun to my head. But if there's someone else out there reading, I do want them to know they are not the only one and to have an understanding of the issue.

This may not console you any, but it seems to me that just from reading a lot of posts, those that lost a lot on the pre-op diet, do not lose very fast right after surgery. That's just my observation from a very limited sample so take from that what you will. It does always pick back up though after a few weeks. So just hang in there and stay on plan and I'll bet you will be losing with the best of them very soon!

This is very helpful to think about. It seems odd to be losing so much less and slower than when I was actually still eating quite a bit. I'd bet my "diet" calories were at least 1400 to 1500 a day. But I guess it might actually make sense in this odd ball body.

You know, I'm already off one of my two blood pressure meds so I try to think about that angle.

I'm going to try and remember to ask around at my next support meeting which is next Thursday and ask the folks there is they see this pattern.

Plenty of Water, logging every bite. I have yet to exceed 500 calories and, as I said, virtually everything I eat is packaged food so I don't think there's much error on the calculation. I am at a 3 to 4 ounce capacity so it's hard to explain, but I couldn't "cheat" even if I wanted to right now. And right now, I don't have much desire to. I'm lucky. I don't have an aversion to eating like some folks go through but it's certainly not a joy. The only real shock will be the day I exceed 500 calories. That's my own personal goal right now. The eye opening part to me is the days when it's 6 p.m. and I'm still under 300 calories. I hate having to eat after 7 p.m. so those days I have to stay up later. Talk about feeling old.

And no I am not getting all the Protein. If you do the math, without the Protein Shots, it's almost impossible to get 60+ grams on less than 500 calories. We are not to be doing liquid. I occasionally cheat as the Protein is more important than the rules but I try to honor the program. Considering my capacity I am getting in the 50's which I think is decent.. I am also not counting carbs. That would be an exercise in futility on an almost all protein diet. They tally on the program I use but my NUT said to ignore carbs until I am at least at 650 calories and have a bit of shimmy room to get some in.

It's okay that you ask this. But I will say that if I was eating 1k a day I would still find it shocking that at 250 poundish now, that would be keeping me from losing weight since 1200 calories is the sort of gold standard for a classic diet. But as an FYI, my ex was asking all of the same things. He's in the process of being approved for gastric bypass and I think it scares him to see what's happening with me. So now he's decided it's because I can't eat enough. As I said, he's my ex. :D Oddly, he's a nice man tho so I just let him talk.

My weight loss dream is to feel better. While I don't feel horrible, better feels a long way off at this time. But I actually think I'm lucky as this has so little to do with the number on the scale that this doesn't bother me all that much. I want to work it out and I wish I were losing faster, but I don't have a gun to my head. But if there's someone else out there reading, I do want them to know they are not the only one and to have an understanding of the issue.

I'm glad you are working with your NUT and Dr., but I'm a bit surprised that your NUT told you not to even worry about your carb intake until you exceed a set number of calories. Something that is interesting is that if you really look at a lot of the lite or low fat foods, most of the time they make up for it in sugar additives. So, something low in fat is often higher in calories and vice versa. My NUT told me that the carbs are things that contribute to the addiction of sugar and constantly feeling the need for more.

Something else, just an observation from other people who have posted here that when their weight loss is low that not eating enough calories can be a part of the reason why people have difficulties because the body is turning to the fat reserves (starvation mode).

Just sharing some observations- keep working with your NUT and Dr.

And no I am not getting all the Protein. If you do the math, without the Protein Shots, it's almost impossible to get 60+ grams on less than 500 calories. We are not to be doing liquid. I occasionally cheat as the Protein is more important than the rules but I try to honor the program. Considering my capacity I am getting in the 50's which I think is decent.. I am also not counting carbs. That would be an exercise in futility on an almost all protein diet. They tally on the program I use but my NUT said to ignore carbs until I am at least at 650 calories and have a bit of shimmy room to get some in.

Many people re-start their weight loss by upping their calories. When you go that low for so long your body is bound to go into starvation mode, and hold on to every single thing. The principle of the plan that it seems most successful losers on this forum follow is to eat high protein to protect your muscles from being burned, and eat low carbs to force you body into ketosis- where fat is burned. The Water is needed for washing out the byproducts of the fat burning. Exercise keeps it all humming. I have never seen is prescribed to eat 500 calories a day. What program is that? In reading that I seriously can see why you have lost so slowly- it does not seem chemically like it would work that well.

maybe that's my issue...i lost 44 lbs pre op and approximately 22 lbs in almost 8 weeks...

Many people re-start their weight loss by upping their calories. When you go that low for so long your body is bound to go into starvation mode, and hold on to every single thing. The principle of the plan that it seems most successful losers on this forum follow is to eat high Protein to protect your muscles from being burned, and eat low carbs to force you body into ketosis- where fat is burned. The Water is needed for washing out the byproducts of the fat burning. Exercise keeps it all humming. I have never seen is prescribed to eat 500 calories a day. What program is that? In reading that I seriously can see why you have lost so slowly- it does not seem chemically like it would work that well.

I agree with the starvation mode...500 cals seems too low...most ppl are 600-800 cals, and even my NUT told me that is to low for me, aim for 1000 but I still am somewhere between 750 and 900

If I'm not mistaken, I think we were sleeved on the same day. I only lost 17 post op and 13 pre op but also lost 34 from last June until the pre op diet. What my ticker doesn't say because I am only going to up date it once a month, is that over the last week and a 1/2 I gained 3 lbs. I know this is because of my carb intake and some Water weight but still it sucks lol. So I am right there with you and know what you are feeling. I'm trying not to sweat it too much because I also know that 61lbs gone forever since last June is still quite an accomplishment and also from what I have read it is expected to have stalls etc. My true accomplishment IMO is that I am off most of my meds (20 pills to 3 a day) and that I feel better now than I have in over a decade. :) You are doing exactly what your body needs to do and I have no doubt you will get to your goal!

OK, I will share the title of The Official Slowest Loser. One month out 10lbs. I did add jiff Peanut Butter to my diet, and that maybe broke my stall. At least the scale is going down. Slow and steady ! I do gave hypothyroidism , but my levels are normal.

For all of you- I have a thread for comparing people who did pre op liquids, etc. and people who did not do pre-op and so far it definitely looks like those who do a structured pre-op lost more slowly coming out of the surgery.

Okay, since I have some energy back and only occasionally feel icky I am learning to accept this. But for those of you who think you are slow losers I thought I would share with you my astounding stats:

Sleeved almost 6 weeks ago and I have lost as of this morning: 10.5 pounds

Ta-da....drop the confetti....flash the strob lights.....whoohoooooo

(Moment of pride and clarity: 36.5 total. I lost the rest pre-surgery just dieting in 4 months. Odd, huh.)

Sadly, I have been guessing. This was stopping by the center's office and off their official scales. I actually thought I was doing better.

3 to 4 ounce capacity. Eating 5 times a day.

Oh well. I figure things will eventually change and obviously I was never going to get skinny on my own. Thankfully, I only want to get down to moderately fat. My thyroid was checked about 18 months ago but they are going to check it again next week. They initially thought I was not counting my food right but then they saw everything is packaged. I mean, how can you mis-count a 3 ounce white fish fillet or a large egg? I am NOT a from scratch type of cook.

My honest instinct is that this surgery just happened to coincide with menopause for me. So I really think that's a piece of why my poor confused body doesn't know which direction to go. So my next step might be a year or two of hormone replacement. I know it's risky but using them temporarily to see if it helps with the weight loss --- well there are times when the risk of not doing thing is as risky as doing them as I have learned from this whole experience.

And I'm so glad that almost 40 pounds are gone forever. It does make a huge difference now that summer is here!

if it makes you feel better... i lost 8 lbs since surgery (more pre op diet) and im on week 7. :) also i have been tested for thyroid problems and everything is normal.