Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch Potato to 5K

So, I saw the doctor last week for my 3 month check-in. I was told that I can no longer count walking as exercise... I need to be jogging or doing something else that gets my heart rate to about 140 and keeps it there for 20-30 minutes. So, I've decided to try to do one of these Couch Potato to 5K programs. I'm aiming to be able to run a 5K by the end of August. Does anyone else want to give this a shot and help keep each other motivated online?

I started the Couch to 5k program two weeks ago and have been doing Week 1 for that time. I would love to have some buddies on the forum also doing the program, so we can keep each other going. Getting more active is my total goal with this and possibly running the Disney half marathon in January. I'm super pumped!

Couch Potato to 5K???? I will have to google that! My top goal with my sleeve is to RUN! I want to run, I haven't run in 20 years!!! That program sounds awesome! I am still in the pre-op stage, so I will be a few months behind you in your goal to run a 5K, but that panting you hear is me running behind you trying to catch up! Good luck with this and keep us posted!!!!

Ilkrista and Wishes, I did week 1 day 1 yesterday and by the evening I could barely walk. The arch on my right foot was throbbing. I will try it again next week. I would love to come on here and see how ya'll are doing with this! Please keep us updated on how you are progressing! It's definitely a work out!

I downloaded an app from Itunes that allows you to make your own playlists and cues break in as needed and tell you when to walk or run. I'm sure there are tons of apps for C25K.

I will look that up because if there was a status box for couch potato I would have to check it LOL

I just printed out the regimen for the treadmill C25K regimen. I'm going to start tonight! I'm almost 3 months out from surgery and feel like I need to do more than walking now.

Hi Holly -

Could you give me the name of that app? Last time I did this I used the podcast but would really love to use my own music.

Thanks,

Sandy

Okay guys, I finally got started on this... it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. I mostly did 1 minute of walking and then 1 minute of jogging. I did do a couple where I did 2 minutes of walking because my heart rate was still pretty high. I should stress the word JOGGING. I was going 4 miles an hour for jogging and 3.3 for walking. I figure I'll worry about speed once I can actually jog more than a mile at a time without stopping or thinking I'm going to die. How is everyone else doing?

I completed the C25K program last year and it was great! Just waiting now to be 3 months out when I'll be cleared to start up again. I used the C25K app (the original program!) which allows you to select your own playlist, set notifications and can track your course with GPS. If you search the App Store, it's listed under C25K (Couch to 5K) and is produced by Bluefin Software, LLC.

Running is such great exercise! My weight is just now back down to where it was this time last year when I lost 60lbs thru diet & exercise. There's a HUGE difference in how the weight has come off after the VSG and I attribute it to the lack of running. Last year my thighs and butt were so much thinner and tighter because I was running 3x/week. I currently do Zumba 3x/week, Water aerobics 2x/week and strength train 2x/week but it just isn't the same.

One suggestion to anyone just starting out - go to a local running store and have them fit you for proper running shoes. They can be pricey, but so worth it in the long run.

Couch to 5K is awesome!! It's the only thing that got me running (jogging) successfully for the first time in my entire LIFE. I started it toward the end of July last year and ran my first 5K two months later... 3.1 miles straight, no walking. Granted, that took me 39 minutes, but still...YAY!!

I've got another one now in 8 weeks and I'm SO not ready for it. Actually it's the Warrior Dash, it'll be about 3.3 miles, with obstacles scattered through it (balance beams, climbing walls, going through Water, mud, and over fire :D)... I went out today and did 5' run / 3' walk intervals....I think I could have run 8 minutes somewhere in the middle there but didn't want to push it and risk injuring anything. I'm not sure where that puts me week-wise, but I'll jump in and do this with you all! :)

So, I saw the doctor last week for my 3 month check-in. I was told that I can no longer count walking as exercise... I need to be jogging or doing something else that gets my heart rate to about 140 and keeps it there for 20-30 minutes. So, I've decided to try to do one of these Couch Potato to 5K programs. I'm aiming to be able to run a 5K by the end of August. Does anyone else want to give this a shot and help keep each other motivated online?

I'm no where near ready but yea for you!!! That's pretty good when walking just isn't good enough. Was there a time when you huffed and puffed to walk? I sure do!

I'm on week 7! This is my first time doing the program. I really like the interval training at the beginning. Now that it's just "run for 25 minutes" I'm not as into it. I need to move on to some HIIT like in Body for Life so keep interested. Great program and not "too hard"

Its a good program to use! I had to tell myself though that if I needed I could repeat a week if I wasn't ready to progress!!!

I just did my first day of Couch to 5K. I too downloaded an app for my iTouch. I was going to use a podcast I found, but decided I'd fork out the 3 bucks and use my own music instead. It got tough towards the end, but I ran/jogged every 60 second bit. Wednesday off, but maybe I'll fit in some yoga after my exams. Assuming I survive my exams...eek!

Day 2 of Couch to 5k complete. Phew!