Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch Potato to 5K

Count me in!! I downloaded the no music app and did the first day on Thursday so I will hit it again today. SOunds like a great program, thanks for posting about it I had never heard of it before. I hope to try to run a 5k in Sep. maybe Oct it is a little warm down here in Texas til about then. Til then I'll meet you on the treadmill. everyone please post your progress to help keep us all motivated. Sounds like a fun way to keep everyone moving.

So, I saw the doctor last week for my 3 month check-in. I was told that I can no longer count walking as exercise... I need to be jogging or doing something else that gets my heart rate to about 140 and keeps it there for 20-30 minutes. So, I've decided to try to do one of these Couch Potato to 5K programs. I'm aiming to be able to run a 5K by the end of August. Does anyone else want to give this a shot and help keep each other motivated online?

guss im glad i signed on today. i just downloaded the app to my iphone and i will starrt tom...

Hi all, I am starting week one today. What is the name of the app for the phone? I am so exited about running my first 5K in September. Good luck to everybody!!!!

I just got in from a run/walk.... I'm kinda modifying it on my own this time around since I'm not really quiet starting over at the beginning. Last time I went out I only ran 5-minute intervals... mighta been able to run 8 once, but that would have put me up a long hill for the last three minute and that was just not happening LOL.

This time out I started out doing 13 minutes straight, and feeling great. I think what the big difference is, is that I've been taking magnesium for the last 3 days. I got it because I've been getting just awful cramping in my legs and feet every night, even just watching TV but also through the night, waking me up several times, and online research pointed me in that direction. I read that some of the signs of magnesium deficiency were not only cramping but Constipation, muscle fatigue, etc., all of which tend to be problems for me.

WELL. I have not had a single cramp since I started taking it on Saturday (twice a day), constipation is NOT a problem (yay), AND I could tell a huuuuge difference in the running today! My endurance still sucks overall and I'll never be more than a mediocre jogger, but dang it, it helped. So anyway... something to keep in mind if any of the above are problems for you!

It's just your body adjusting... same reason for "stalls." It says to itself "Whoa, what's happening here??" and decides to hold on to water... don't worry, you're still burning fat, and when it decides everything's OK, you'll see several pounds go at once, which is always a cool thing. I actually learned to like those little pauses when I was losing steadily, knowing a nice surprise was coming! ;)

I have been doing this for 3 weeks now and have stopped losing weight but my work out clothes are looser than when I started so I guess I am losin inches right now and not pounds. SO you are saying that the pounds will follow? I am really enjoying this program, thanks to everyone for recommending it.

Hi, All,

I have been doing the C25K for awhile now and just completed Weed 5, Day 3. I thought I wasn't going to make it since they jump you from walk/run to 20 min jog in a row. Well, Yours Truly jogged 1.7 miles in a row without stopping. Woohoo. Over 21 minutes. I didn't repeat any of the weeks. Whoever said, "Go and get a good pair of running shoes" is correct. I have been going to Road Runner Sports for mine for the past 2 yrs since I had plantar fasciitis. Trust me, you don't want it. You don't have to spend $100+ on shoes. I usually buy a pair for around $70-75...but they are always the kind that complement my feet. That is why i go to a sports shoe shop. It doesn't matter how fast you jog/run as long as you continue doing it. Consistancy is the key. I have been able to slowing increase my speed. When I got my sleeve 3 months ago, I was walking 3.3 mph. Now I can walk 4.0 for an extended time. Jog 4.7-5.0 mph. When I hit the gym, I ALWAYS make sure I eat healthy carbs a couple of hours before I go. oatmeal with fruit or Kashi Go Lean. Carbs are not your enemy. Without them, I am much more tired and don't have a good workout. I am not a thin chick but I AM DOING IT. My goal is to walk/jog a 5k for the 4th of July in as short of a time period as I can. Oh, I also don't hurt when I am done jogging and I have had ACL reconstruction on my knee.

Keep going! You can do it!

I see you all are using an iPhone or iPod app for this, do any of you know if there is an Android app? I just switched out my iPhone for an Android and would love to do the C25K! I want to get rid of my thigh giggle! I just discovered that I LOVE wearing dresses, especially those little cute summer ones!!!!

Thanks,

patti

I don't use an app at all, I just follow the progression of the program and use the stopwatch on my watch, and listen to my own tunes on my iPod. I should say "used," since this is my second go and I'm kind of doing it my own way since I didn't have to start over at the beginning.

Last night I went 17.5 minutes straight for 1.35 miles, before having to stop and walk, which is a nice jump from the 13 minutes and ~1 mile from the time before. Just like the first time around last summer, I'm finding it hard to believe that I'll actually be able to go over 3 miles straight not too long from now!

Cheryl

Woo hoo!!! Congrats on completing W5D3 - it's such a HUGE milestone in the C25K program & you should be very proud of yourself for doing it! It's been over a year but I still remember how thrilled I was when I did it & I even teared up right there on the greenway when it was over because it was such a momentous occasion. I have a girlfriend who completed her W5D3 last week & I was the first person she called to tell cause she knew I'd understand how she felt. :)

Week 3 of the Couch Potato to 5K and it isn't as horrible as I thought it would be. I actually keep thinking to myself that I probably could run considerably longer than 90 seconds, but I don't want to push myself too hard and then end up giving up on it. I'm realizing that a big part of the reason I HATED running is that I was trying to do it with almost 150 lb extra at my heaviest... I think that would be challenging for a Navy SEAL much less a regular person like me. Now that I've lost about half of the extra weight, it really isn't as terrible as I was expecting. I hope all of you are continuing to do well on your 5K journey!

Thanks, Marymoon,

I also called a friend of mine who is on week3 and she was thrilled for me. I am proud. Hard to think that the next couple of weeks before the 4th of July will allow me to jog that much further so we shall see. The program has taken me to another level since I think I was stuck in a rut with my same routine. I also added the rowing machine and I love the upper body strength that brings.

Go C25K'ers!

Cheryl

Woo hoo!!! Congrats on completing W5D3 - it's such a HUGE milestone in the C25K program & you should be very proud of yourself for doing it! It's been over a year but I still remember how thrilled I was when I did it & I even teared up right there on the greenway when it was over because it was such a momentous occasion. I have a girlfriend who completed her W5D3 last week & I was the first person she called to tell cause she knew I'd understand how she felt. :)

I just finished c25k yesterday! If you would have told me 9 weeks ago I would be running 30 minutes I would never have believed it. I am going to keep running the same time for a few weeks then I am joining a group training for a triathlon. I can't wait to lose more weight so the running gets easier.