Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Alabama?

Wow Ashley, you are doing great. And yes, she did request that I have the sleep study. I was dissapointed but at the same time I want to know if I do have any type of apnea. I had my 4 yr old daughter with me and she said "you have little ones and we have to protect them as well" that's what gave me peace about waiting for the sleep study. if I have any kind of sleep apnea, I want to know and I want it treated.

So how far did you go with Dr Scmitt? I don't see how going to a totaly new doctor and starting all over would be faster than waiting a month. . .just curious :-)

Wow Ashley, you are doing great. And yes, she did request that I have the sleep study. I was dissapointed but at the same time I want to know if I do have any type of apnea. I had my 4 yr old daughter with me and she said "you have little ones and we have to protect them as well" that's what gave me peace about waiting for the sleep study. if I have any kind of sleep apnea, I want to know and I want it treated.

So how far did you go with Dr Scmitt? I don't see how going to a totaly new doctor and starting all over would be faster than waiting a month. . .just curious :-)

I went as far as getting my psyc eval, and sleep eval, then I switched to Dr T the next week. Within 1 month I had surgery. OK Time frame, my first appt with Dr Schmtt was around May 23, sleep eval May 30th, first visit with Dr T June 6th, Surgery July 8th!!

WLS cures sleep apnea so I saw NO reason to have the sleep study. I have been put to sleep 2 times before with no complications so I knew this time would be no different. My sleep study would have been sometime mid July. I am so glad for my decision.

When I went to Dr T, I had 1 visit with him, 1 with his nut, 1 pre op class WHICH IS FREE!!!, and I went to support group (NOT REQUIRED!!)

Good luck with your decision! Lots of people have excellent surgery with Dr Schmitt. But I am so happy with my decision to switch.

Hello All, frome Lee county over by Ft. Benning, Ga. I am just starting the process to get surgery, hoping this all goes fast and smooth!!

Another future sleever from Calera, AL here. I found out I was approved yesterday. All of my pre-reqs are complete except the nutrition class. Dr. Schmitt will be my surgeon. How are you all doing since the surgery? I've never spent the night in a hospital or even had outpatient surgery but so far I'm not nervous. I think mostly I'm just concerned with the change in eating habits with eating smaller, slower bites and not drinking with meals.

Another future sleever from Calera, AL here. I found out I was approved yesterday. All of my pre-reqs are complete except the nutrition class. Dr. Schmitt will be my surgeon. How are you all doing since the surgery? I've never spent the night in a hospital or even had outpatient surgery but so far I'm not nervous. I think mostly I'm just concerned with the change in eating habits with eating smaller, slower bites and not drinking with meals.

I am doing great. It has been 10 mos since surgery, I have lost just under 80lbs and am happy at where I am at. Dr Scmitt did not give me a goal weight-of course I would like to lose another 5-10 lbs but I look and I am healthy at my current weight. The overnight stay was no problems, I walked often the afternoon and evening of surgery and the next morning I was hope by 11 am including a stop at the pharmacy. You will get use to eating smaller and slower. I was never nervous before surgery as I knew I was doing the best thing for me. We should try to meet up sometime.

Hey yall! Still a newbie here only 3 weeks out but I was wondering if there was a local support group in our area. I'm in Trussville, just north of Bham. Thanks!

Hey kcsmicah,

There is a support group with St Vincent East in Trussville. It is sponsered by Dr Scmitt and Miles and you can contact their office for the dates and times. I will admit that I have not been attending since my parents have moved in with me last fall and I have become full time caregiver to them. I really do need to get back to them even though I am basically at goal.

Is it for everyone that has had the surgery or only for their patients? I had my surgery out of state do I don't know if I qualify to come. Do you know?