Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IMPORTANT chit chat with Dr. Aceves

I am in Mexicali for my face lift. I have been here for 2 weeks. I have seen Dr. Campos several times, but Dr. Aceves has been MIA every time I was at the hospital.

Today I went to visit Erica, ( Ricky) and ran into him finally. We had the greatest talk. I was asking him about complications, leaks, etc and he told me something everyone should know.

He said a man who was one year out, was on a cruise and stuffed himself too full. He ruptured his stomach! The man ate so much, he is near death. He has been in the hospital for 4 months. (Not in Mexicali)

So, I am going to remember that. Even being 2 years out, I sometimes eyeball my food wrong and I am too full. It's not a good feeling.

Wow... great advise... thank you for posting this!

How is your recovery going? =]

I wonder how he kept it down in the first place! :blink: Wouldn't you think it would have been so painful it would have made him want to yuke it all up? Good grief...owie.

Thanks for posting this Daisy!

Renee`

IHe said a man who was one year out, was on a cruise and stuffed himself too full. He ruptured his stomach! The man ate so much, he is near death. He has been in the hospital for 4 months. (Not in Mexicali)

Scary stuff.. I wonder what they consider "stuffing yourself". Is one bite too much going to hurt me? What about rice that expands in the tummy? Scary .. but good to know.

Glad to see you are doing well.

:blink:

Oh wow!! Thanks for the info... I'll definitely keep this in mind. I really hope the man who is in the hospital comes out okay!! :(

Yes, Pretty scary. I can't imagine how painful a perforated stomach would

be.

I try to stop eating before I am full. I know in 20 minutes I will be more full and that's how I get too full.

I would think the staple line would be completely healed a yr out. Actually even stronger from the scar tissue around the staples. He must have really went crazy! Was this one of Dr Aceves patients??

Wow, that is kind of crazy to read.... I didn't even think that kind of thing could happen that far out.

I have no idea if this was a man who was a patient of Dr. Aceves or if this was something he just heard about. I know he travels one week a month to other areas to proctor other surgeons. He was called away before I had a chance to ask him any more questions about this man.

I did ask him if it was on the staple line, and he said no!

Since it was not on the staple line, I would imagine it could happen no matter who did the surgery. I am sure it's very rare though. I have certainly not heard of anything like this before, and I have been on the boards a long time.

Good info to know! I can't imagine how you could stuff yourself that full! I hate the uncomfortable feeling from eating a few bites too many, but this will for sure be added incentive not to try to squeeze in those last few bites! :o

Day Dreamer, no way you could rupture your stomach with one extra bite or expanding rice. You are not a seagull. That said, it seems like a very bad idea to eat too much while the stomach is still healing (first 6 mos, everybody says...). But, I have accidentally taken an extra bite at several meals (I feel nothing at all til it's too late) and it felt a bit tight and then came right back up. No acid, just the chewed food.< /p>