Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Blood Pressure Pre-Op??

Did you have high blood pressure before your surgery? If so, how high was it? Was it being treated with meds? Has it gone down after surgery?

I have never had high BP, but the last month it has been around 130/108 pretty consistently. My bariatric Dr told me to go to my PCP and ask for meds before surgery. My PCP can't fit me in, and won't write a [new] script via the phone. So here I am, Wednesday, surgery on Monday, and no script for BP. Now I get a call from my bariatric Dr saying I need to track it today, Thurs, and Fri and if it is too high they will postpone my surgery.

I have stressed to my PCP's nurse the importance of getting seen and nothing. I am beyond mad. LOL And that surely doesn't help my BP.

That is not particularly high bp! Mine with meds was higher than that for surgery, then it went down the next week and my pcp had me quit meds altogether. It's gone up and down and seems to be evening out at about 125/80 or so for now. Could you go to a walk-in clinic? Seems kind of nuts your doctor can't help you out! My bariatric surgeon didn't want to deal with the bp either. I can understand that. good luck to you!

Did you have high blood pressure before your surgery? If so, how high was it? Was it being treated with meds? Has it gone down after surgery?

I have never had high BP, but the last month it has been around 130/108 pretty consistently. My bariatric Dr told me to go to my PCP and ask for meds before surgery. My PCP can't fit me in, and won't write a [new] script via the phone. So here I am, Wednesday, surgery on Monday, and no script for BP. Now I get a call from my bariatric Dr saying I need to track it today, Thurs, and Fri and if it is too high they will postpone my surgery.

I have stressed to my PCP's nurse the importance of getting seen and nothing. I am beyond mad. LOL And that surely doesn't help my BP.

That is about what my blood pressure was running with meds. I was off the meds less than a week after surgery. Maybe you can call your surgeon and explain the situation. Could he prescribe some blood pressure meds for you? Your blood pressure isn't really even considered "high" at those numbers, so I'm a little suprised. Good luck to you; hopefully this won't mess with your surgery date!

I suppose they consider it high BP because I am normally 120/80. But one thing I keep asking is - Could it be nerves about the surgery?!?! No answer. I mean, it can't be salt b/c I am on the shake diet already (and losing - TYVM haha).

So my PCP just called and can fit me in on Friday morning. Not sure that is going to help much if he does put me on meds?!?!

How long do BP meds take to bring your BP down?

I am trying some meditation and relaxation today. Maybe I can get my DH to give me a massage... LOL oh a girl can wish right?!?!

DH offered to slip me some of his BP meds... LOL... I know it is not medically "right" but...

It is really bothering me that my surgeon is willing to post-pone my surgery over this though :(

WOW seems kinda extreme for your surgeon to postpone your surgery becuz of your bp being a little high. . I hope everything turns alright for you. Good luck!!!!

Deb B)

I had high blood pressure for a year before my surgery. I was on meds, but lost 55lbs pre-op and had my dosage lowered once because of my weight loss.

About 5 days after surgery, I got really dizzy and went to the dr., he took me off my bp meds saying I did not need them any more!! YAY :) :) :) . This surgery definatley lowers your bp and helps with diabetes, as I was also taken off that medication too!!

My bp use to run 148/90, now it is about 120/62.

Good luck to you!

Kelly

Could your nerves be making it higher? Is it white coat syndrome? Get a machine and right your numbers down at varying times of the day,,, record the lowest. What is really weird is you are going to be in a hospital where they could give you a med pre op to make your bp more acceptable to them.

I was on 5 , yes 5 bp meds pre op. I came home on 0! As a matter of fact my bp was very low in the hospital due to all those great pain meds!

Mine was high before surgery (taking 3 meds for it) and since it has run about 112 over 65. I see my PCP tomorrow to make sure, but I took myself off the meds because after surgery when I took them, I got really dizzy. I was taking three, so I am hoping she will tell me to stay off them all or maybe go down to just one.

My BP was 150/110 a couple weeks ago.. my primary care dr also couldnt fit me in UNTIL I explained the situation and need as my surgery was coming up and they would possibly not put me to sleep if it remained high. So I got in and dr prescribed meds.. i went for a f/u 3 days later and its now 130/80 and im good to go. Stress to them the situation and urgency. If they wont budge, maybe see a diff dr.. since its just to get BP meds.