Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow losing due to diabetes?

I was wondering if anyone here can clarify as to whether or not diabetes can slow weight loss. If so, what have you tried to keep moving down on the scale? Thanks so much for any help you can give.

What type of diabetes?

I am a type 1 diabetic and so far I have been a complete average loser: 55 lbs in almost 4 months: not a quick loser, not a slow loser either. I do get slightly hungry sometimes and I think that's because of the insulin I have to shoot every day, but it's a very low amount, especially compared to what I used to take before the sleeve, so it isn't too bad. My surgeon nor my diabetologist have mentioned anything about a slower weight loss, but I didn't ask either...

I was wondering about this myself... I am "insulin resistant", so not quite diabetic and I am having a difficult losing. I am pre-sleeve and am working on my PSWL. I think I am going to ask on Tuesday if this can interfere with weight loss.

I know it did for me pre-op but I am going on 3 wks post-op and have a normal blood glucose reading since hospital and I've dropped -25 already. So I am hoping I won't have problems losing post-op. So far so good!! I know it might slow down or I may have stalls, but pre-op I had a 6 mo stall, doing low carb and smaller portions. That sucked!!

I was wondering about this. I just started doing the Atkins diet hoping to lose some weight and control carb count. I plan on having the sleeve in the next 3-6 months if I can convince my husband to let me do it. He's so afraid I'll die on the operating table. I just found out I'm diabetic type 2 just a couple of weeks ago and that diagnosis has made me want to get weight loss surgery even more because I've spend my entire adult life from 18-35 struggling with weight problems. Up and down, up and down...soooo tired of it. I just want the cycle to stop. And I wonder if this is why I have a harder time losing weight than most. I haven't started on metformin yet but I will be soon and I'm hoping the medical regulation of blood sugar will help me lose more weight. I'm hoping to drop some before having the surgery and starting to live a healthier lifestyle now rather than later. *sigh*

I'm glad to hear of successful diabetic sleevers having good weight loss numbers. I hope that I can tell the same tale one day

I have Type 2, very insulin resistant. Was on 850 mg metformin 2x a day; Novolog insulin as needed and Lantus insulin at bedtime 55 units; and lisinopril.

I have lost 50 lbs in 3 months. Glucose levels have been in low 100s, hi 90s. I no longer take the Novolog and lisinopril. Metformin is the same, Lantus is down to 11 units each night and going down all the time. I see my endocrinologist in 2 months and he said by then I will most likely be off the insulin completely.

I think I've been losing at a pretty average rate. I've had some stalls, but don't think I'm anywhere near having a "problem" losing weight.

And as a side note, my carb cravings are practically gone completely; haven't had a candy or dessert since before surgery...for me that is nearly a miracle!!

I had my sleeve in Jan. 2012. I lost 36 lbs. in 12 days, but haven't lost a lb. since then. I have fibromyalgia and 2 broken feet from charcot foot and am insulin dependent. I exercise in my spa pool 3x a week. I am so frustrated and don't know what to do. I am not cheating. Any ideas?

I am on an insulin pump, type 1.5 which is adult onset type 1.

I had my sleeve in Jan. 2012. I lost 36 lbs. in 12 days, but haven't lost a lb. since then. I have fibromyalgia and 2 broken feet from charcot foot and am insulin dependent. I exercise in my spa pool 3x a week. I am so frustrated and don't know what to do. I am not cheating. Any ideas?

36 lbs in 12 days is a lot. Maybe your body is thinking that you're starving it and trying to keep that from happening. It's just a thought.

I was wondering about this myself... I am "insulin resistant"' date=' so not quite diabetic and I am having a difficult losing. I am pre-sleeve and am working on my PSWL. I think I am going to ask on Tuesday if this can interfere with weight loss.[/quote']

I am insulin resistant as well. I've had no problem losing weight. I think the best course of action is to restrict the high glycemic carbs which raise your blood sugar, requiring more insulin. The only way I can see how being a diabetic would slow weight loss is this....insulin has been shown to aid in fat storage and inhibit the release of fatty acids. So on the surface, taking insulin will raise insulin levels. But if you're taking the proper dosage, and restricting high glycemic carbs, it should only raise them to normal levels.

I'm a type 1 for 20 years. Stalled at 50 lbs down almost a year out. So frustrated. Doc thinks it's due to my insulin and lake of a functioning pancreas which lowers ones metabolic rate. I followed all the rules for a long time and it didn't help. Just was so much work for such little gain IMHO. Nutritionist doesn't know what to do with me either...

I was wondering if anyone here can clarify as to whether or not diabetes can slow weight loss. If so, what have you tried to keep moving down on the scale? Thanks so much for any help you can give.

I am a slow loser and my diabetic meds was the issue. I was on an insulin pump. And my a1c dropped to7.6 then the weight lost slow down and it went to 10.8. Now the weight is coming down at a fast rate since I started taking oral meds. I don't take metformin because of the side affects but I take Invokana and it has been doing the job my a1c has gone down to 8.0 with a month and will be taking blood again. I went from 220 to 182 within a month average is 30 pound a pound a day.

I have type 2 and I have not had much problems with weight loss except for the occasional stall. I really watch my carb intake though and for the first two month checked my sugar so often in fact after every meal I ate to see what I could and could not eat. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats Veronica, I'm having a problem of what I can not eat, the only foods that I have a problem going down is rice,lettuce and beef. I excise 6 times a week and I've only loss 40 since September when I first got sleeved. I eat in small portions and I take my Vitamins and drink my liquids but my weight and A1C are going down slowly. HELP