Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 6 Post OP Pain and Overall Blah

Hi Everyone, this is my first post and I'm a little bummed. I was sleeved on 5/23 and I still feel a significant amout of pain when I get up and down and when I walk. The pain seems to either be on the left incision or the incision adjacent to my naval. Its not chronic, but significant, and nowhere near "back to normal" feeling as many fellow sleevers on day six have commented. Today, I tried to go out and run some arrands with my wife, but got too tired to continue and had to come home. I feeling a little lost and scared that I'm going have "some" pain forever. On top of everthing, I have developed a hive style rash all over my torso (front and back) and down the back of my thighs. This started the day after I came home and my doc has me taking benedryl and cortizone cream. After a couple days of this the rash is still present and itchy. My wife suggested I discontinue the hydrocodone Syrup since I started it the day I came home. I did and we'll see if it clears up. The good news is that I am not hungry and I can drink at will. I'm not sure if I have a question here or if I'm just venting. I just want to get on with my life, but I feel like I've been hit by a bus.

-Jim

Wow, sorry you are in pain. The rash does sound like a reaction to something. Were you also put on an antibiotic? If not the codeine stuff, maybe it is that. Either way, I would ask for an alternative for your pain. You shouldn't really be having pain, but it is possible that there is pulling and weight in that area of your incision which is causing your pain. When is your follow up? It's good you can get your Water and fluids in. Concentrate on that and remember, you've had major surgery and are running on very few calories, it is normal to not feel up to doing much. I wouldn't worry that you will have some pain forever. It's natural to feel bummed. Try to get some good carbs during these first days and not worry about counting them right now, you need something for your strength.

Don't try to do too much. Maybe just start walking short distances and work your way up. Remember this was major surgery plus you are no doubt in major calorie deficit. The effects of anesthesia can cause fatigue for up to 2 weeks too. Can you tell I am a physical therapist?? Lol Hives are probably reaction to meds or stress of surgery. This will all get better!! Hang in there! Joan

Hi Jim,

I took my hydrocodone pain meds full strength for the first eight days or so. Everyone has different pain levels. Your pain will diminish with time! And I have taken it really slow getting back to full-time activities. I'm not even driving yet. IMO, it's better to take it slow and nip the pain in the bud. Everyone's journey is a little different.

Lynda

I had pain in the same spots as you did until the end of my second week - I to tried to go out and run some errands on day 6 and got to tired out and had to come home early - dont rush it, the pain will subside, mine did, and you will soon start feeling good before you know it! :)

Give yourself a break and just rest :)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. My first follow-up is not until 6/9. I will be contacting him tomorrow if the hives have not gotten any better. Thanks again.

I'm sorry you're still in pain and feeling bummed out. Since you are stopping that one pain med you may want to try some extra strength tylenol and see if it helps. If not, call your dr for something else.

On the energy, just take it slowly, it's still early. And you're not eating, so it does affect our energy. I think the B-12 that dissolves under the tongue might help you if you aren't already taking anything.

I hope you start feeling better soon, it is definitely a big adjustment. Take care and rest when you need to, it gets better everyday!!

:)

I totally felt like I had been hit by a bus!! My abs and obliques were so damn sore. I also looked like someone beat my stomach and left side with a ball bat!! I was so bruised!

I had to leave Walmart while shopping with my husband also! I was so lightheaded and sweaty! It was horrible. I thought I was going to faint. It is hard to remember that we just had major surgery when we are feeling o.k. My case manager told me that this surgery ranks up there with open heart surgery. It is that serious and most people forget that they just had surgery because they don't feel so bad. So please take your time to heal!

I am entering my 3rd week and feeling much, much better! You will get there too! Everyday does get better, just be patient. I know it is hard to imagine feeling anything other than the way you do, but you will get better, I promise!!

Kelly ;)

Jimeez, sounds like your muscles were hurt more than other people's during surgery or are slower to recover. The left side is (at least in my surgery) where they pull the leftover stomach bits out, and they are not small! So the old stomach goes thru the incision and the muscle gets stretched/damaged more than elsewhere.

Call your doctor and tell him you need more pain meds. You are in pain, it should be handled. Pain reduces your body's ability to heal and causes other reactions in the body that you just don't want. You are not being a wuss. Don't wait, call your doc now. Also ask him if you can take magnesium tablets or powder, because that will REALLY help (most ppl are magnesium deficient and it is required for muscles to relax. keyed up/taut muscles hurt more, heal slower, etc.).

I have fibromyalgia and I also still have pain, but I have NO hesitations in taking extra pain meds. The extra pain meds makes my life so much better. (I had my surgery on Weds.)

i feel just as you do! i was sleeved on tues 5/24. i have a drain on my right side. the incsion that is below the drain hurts so bad!! it is really keeping me down. i am still on pain meds. i am drinking ok and eating lightly. no way do i have the energy to run errands!

When you get to the point of wondering if you'll ever have energy or feel good again....You begin to notice that you DO feel better. Took me a good month to begin to feel like my old self. I wasn't in pain, but had no energy. Got my fingers crossed that you'll be feeling better soon. Take it as easy as you can.

You aren't alone. I was sleeved on 5/23 as well and you described perfectly the way that I feel. Also, I too was sent home on hydrocodone Syrup and I developed the itches and a rash from it. I've had my ups and downs. Actually, at this point I've only had downs. I gained almost 15 pounds of Fluid in the hospital and, although it's starting to go away finally, I'm still not even down to my pre-op weight. Let alone losing anything drastic. Believe me, I know it's slow and miserable right now. I tried to go to Kmart yesterday and left in tears because I didn't have the energy to do my shopping.

We have to remember that each person heals differently and your body is still protesting the hell that you put it through. At least you aren't hungry and you're drinking at will. That's a great step forward! Celebrate the little victories and remember that it will get better and we will be thankful that we made this choice!

Good luck!:D

I am so glad I vented to this community. You fine group of people have helped me so much. I really underestimated my need to hear from people that are also taking this journey - kind of a strength in numbers thing. Good news!!! What a huge difference a few days has made - my pain is nearly gone! (Probably from a 5 to a 2.) My rash is not gone yet but seems to be improving. I feel so good today that I am almost giddy. I have also found a new love in Carnation Instant Breakfast - God bless you Carnation Company!

For those of that have been feeling my pain - It Gets Better!!!

For you experienced ones that told me - It Gets Better - thank you so much!

One day at a time. We are all students in patience.