Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 years post op and need advice

I have been struggling a lot in the last year and decided this is the best place to start for advice.

I had sleeve done in August 2009 and have lost 60 pounds down to 170 pounds. I have seen a little of an increase over the last couple of months and know that I have not done my best for diet and exercise. I have been going through a tough divorce since September 2009 and was able to lose most of the weight without diet and exercise. Because it came off so easy, I never really developed an exercise routine or high Protein diet. So needless to say, here I am at 2 years post-op and need to get back on track.

My goal weight is 150-155. I need advice on what people who have had procedure 1-4 years ago are eating and doing for exercise. I find that I am addicted to Starbucks and will find that some days I am still finishing my drink 6 hours after purchase which leaves little time for Water. I also eat carbs or don't eat at all. I am a mess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

Mississippi girl in Florida B)

Well, I am only post op 12 days so not sure if my advice will interest you, but if I were in your shoes I would pull out my bible and start with the basics. My book says 60-80 grams of Protein a day, 64 oz Water and strive for 1 hour of activity 5 days a week. The bariatric nurse coordinator said that eventually I should be between 1200-1500 calories daily depending on my activity level. Can you contact an exercise physiologist at the hospital where you had your surgery? Mine is going to charge me $25.00 to create an idividualized work out when my lifting restrictions are dropped. I am also going to see my nutritionist to work out some sample menus. I'm not sure what that will cost, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too much. Maybe you could talk to your sugeon and see what he recommends as far as additional guidance. It looks like considering what you have been through you have done GREAT! You aren't too far from your goal, I'm so envious!

Take care and good luck!

Glad to hear you've survived some tough times...and done so well with your sleeve so far as well.

I do think there is some 'low-hanging fruit' in terms of what you could easily change. First, don't drink your calories -- either lay off the Starbucks, or else only get small ones with SF Syrup and FF milk. At the least, you could just get the smallest size and only one per day. Then limit yourself to a half-hour with it, then throw it away if you're not finished.

Second, if you're not immediately post-op, it's always easy to up your fluids. Drink more than the minimum amount of Water each day, set a goal and mark it off as you go, until it becomes a habit. Water is a great weight-loss aid.

Finally, eat Protein before you eat anything else and you will be too full to eat other things -- and don't eat between meals or official Snacks.

Some fairly easy changes (I think) would get you right back on track. Good luck!!

Little things that add up. What do you take in your Starbucks coffee? Creamers, sugars? You can still have them just change it up to low fat and sugar free.

Definitly up your water! Water will flush out the toxins from your body and if you are getting below the minimum amount you are retaining salts and toxins which hold onto Water and so some excess weight can be due to water retention. Sounds weird to up your water when you are retaining water but it is the salts that keep the water and increased water will make them move out of your body allowing the excess water to leave as well.

Protein first. Track your food and make sure you are getting 60 and up of Proteins. Vary the Proteins (do not always have to be from meat can be legumes as well).

Carbs are tricky there are good carbs and then there are bad carbs. I would keep the bad carbs to a minimum.

Do you take Vitamins and minerals? If you are not eating enough of the foods that contain the Vitamins and minerals you should supplement your diet.

Have you tried the 5 day pouch test to see if you can kick start your losing again.

And lastly what if this is the weight your body is comfortable with, are you comfortable with this weight?

I agree with the above poster that said to go back to "BASICS". This is what was told to me in my pre-op nutrition class. They said that if 2-3 years from now you find yourself gaining or not losing like you wish, get out your manual and start from the beginning. It will restart your losing process.

Please don't drink your caloires. That is niether healthy nor good! I found the best way to drink my Water was to get a water bottle. I fill it up with water and some ice and go for it. I do not allow myself anything different to drink until all of that water is gone. I do this faithfully daily. Then, I can have tea or juice or whatever, but nothing until it is gone!

As far as exercise, go for a walk. Walking is great for exercise. Start there and build some stamina. You will then want to do more when you get stronger.

Best of luck to you!

Kelly ;)

I found myself going off track after a year post op, and needed a jump start, so I started following the Dukan Diet. It's low fat, high Protein and a little strict, but it's been working for me and it's just what I needed. It's easier for me to follow something with few choices, so that's why this is working for me. Good luck!

Lily, What is the 5 day pouch test? Haven't done it but haven't heard of it.

Very interested,

Deanna

Little things that add up. What do you take in your Starbucks coffee? Creamers, sugars? You can still have them just change it up to low fat and sugar free.

Definitly up your water! Water will flush out the toxins from your body and if you are getting below the minimum amount you are retaining salts and toxins which hold onto Water and so some excess weight can be due to water retention. Sounds weird to up your water when you are retaining water but it is the salts that keep the water and increased water will make them move out of your body allowing the excess water to leave as well.

Protein first. Track your food and make sure you are getting 60 and up of Proteins. Vary the Proteins (do not always have to be from meat can be legumes as well).

Carbs are tricky there are good carbs and then there are bad carbs. I would keep the bad carbs to a minimum.

Do you take Vitamins and minerals? If you are not eating enough of the foods that contain the Vitamins and minerals you should supplement your diet.

Have you tried the 5 day pouch test to see if you can kick start your losing again.

And lastly what if this is the weight your body is comfortable with, are you comfortable with this weight?

Lily, What is the 5 day pouch test? Haven't done it but haven't heard of it.

Very interested,

Deanna

It is where you go back to basics. I copied the information that Tiffykins posted awhile back here is what she said the 5 day pouch test was.

Basics to follow:

1) Measure portions

2) Track food intake religiously

3) Don't eat until full, eat until satisfied

4) Drink 64oz of clear fluids

5) Set a meal plan, no Snacks, stick with it

6) Don't make excuses

You can try the 5 day pouch test to get rid of the carbs if that is the issue.

Days One & Two: liquid Protein

low-carb Protein shakes, broth, clear or cream Soups, sugar-free Gelatin and pudding. Read more.

Day 3: Soft Protein

canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy. Read more.

Day 4: Firm Protein

ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut. Read more.

Day 5: Solid Protein

white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game

You don't necessarily have to do the liquid part if you can be disciplined to just eat protein.

Hi. I am very interested in this topic. I was just going to post one of my own when I came across yours.

Unfortunately I haven't any useful advice to add to what has already been written here but I would be happy to join up with you for the next 3 weeks or so on a daily basis to help us both become more accountable to one another and ultimately to ourselves.

I am 13 months post surgery and have lost 50 lbs in the first 7 months. Nothing since. My BMI was 35.6 and is now 27.

I would like to drop to a BMI of approx 24. It would be great to do this during the Summer months.

I am 56 years old and having problems walking due to a foot problem. I am not exercising at all now.

It is 19 days until I go on holidays to the continent so I would like to see a 3 to 4 lbs loss before then.

That should be enough time to get motivated again.

Would love to link up with you and others in the same boat.

Any takers?

Bookleen

Sorry to hear of your struggles. I too appear to be on the up scale of weight gain. I'm going to take the advice of uping my protien and excersie I never had to do much after surgery to lose weight now Its time.

Keep us posted on your progress as I will too

Taniea

I am out 18 months now and have been the same weight give or take 5 lbs here or there. . . My problem is exercise (I really really hate it. . I would rather scrub clothes with a rock in a creekbed then exercise) but at last, i have succumbed to my dreaded hatred of the word and am going to the gym. . . I always feel better after the workout, but the thought of getting there sucks. . . really sucks. . . so I'll see what happens with it, this time. . . . as far as eating, well we fall into old routines and habits really quickly don't we. . . amazing. . .but at least we're not as heavy as we used to be and we can correct ourselves if we really try. . . this sleeve is not easy as some think it is. . . you have to work with it. . . i love carbs (yum, they are soooo good and go down so well) but like one poster said "don't drink your calories" . . . eat more dense Proteins, eggs, cheese, meats, fish, etc. . . have some carbs but not a bunch, I use orowheat thins and bagel thins instead of bread. . . i eat greek yogurts mixed with good stuff like berries or honey instead of ice cream (although I'll treat myself occasionally) . . i still eat pizza but only 1 slice (thats all that fits anyhow) . . . but only rarely. . . now I'm throwing in exercise and am going to see how it goes. . . I've only 20 - 30 lbs to go and it's tough! Good luck. . . you can do this and together we can all do this!

Hi Everyone,

Have you seen LilmissDivas new Group for those of us on the last stretch.

Come join us there

Bookleen

Hi Everyone,

Have you seen LilmissDivas new Group for those of us on the last stretch.

Come join us there

Bookleen

I would LOVE to come in and join y'all, but it won't let me. . . how do you go about it? This new forum is soooo confusing sometimes! thanks

I would LOVE to come in and join y'all, but it won't let me. . . how do you go about it? This new forum is soooo confusing sometimes! thanks

Hi, I'll tell one way. There may be other and better ways!

Click on "Forums" at top of page.

Scroll down to the bottom of the 4th section- "VST Social Groups Forums" and click to give a listing of Sub forums.

Scroll down to "The final STRETCH=30lbs or> to Goal" and click on it.

Then select "Welcome New Members".

Afterwards, create your own thread which you will use as a blog.

Hope this works for you.

Bookleen