Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Update-Down 115 lbs!!!

Congrats! I think you are doing fabulous! Thanks for the inspiring story and for examples of what you eat. Always helpful to hear from those who are successful! :D

Bonnie:

You are amazing!!! I hope you can make it to our September meeting! We are doing a pot luck at my house and we are going to have some newbies here that I would love them to see your progress!!

Rock on!!!

Hellllooooooo Everyone!

I know I have been MIA for a while but I have been extremely busy with all of the new things going on in my life.

(New House, New Puppy, Wedding that is now in 7 days, New job) I hope you understand. ;)

Yesterday (May 27th) was my 6 month surgiversary but I decided to stick to my routine and not weight in until this morning.

Before I got on the scale I though to myself (Like I have MANY times over the last 6 months) "I did everything right this week but I know the weight loss has to slow down at some point, so its OK if I don't pull a big number."

I got on the scale and I was down another 4 pounds from last week!!!

Bringing my total in 6 months and 1 day to exactly 115 lbs!!!

I started this journey at 325# and I am now 210#!!

Here are a few things that have really stuck out in my mind about my journey so far...

Since surgery I have not gone one week with out losing.

I know this will change and some point and I am prepared for it because I though it would have already happened by now.

This probably isn't normal but it is possible. I stick to my plan and it pays off. :-)

I have been making You Tube videos since 6 weeks post op, as well as taking progress pictures and measurements weekly and those 3 things have helped me get through this journey mentally more then I can even begin to express. You can not see what other see unless you take these pictures along the way and TRULY look at them. It is hard to look back and see where you started but it feels damn good to see where you are at now and how your body is changing.

PLEASE TAKE PICTURES AND MEASUREMENTS!!! It will truly blow your mind!

With the removal of the Ghrelin it has been like some one flipped a switch in my head and I no longer have a constant nagging hunger.

Eating is no longer something that consumes my every though, it is still enjoyable but not all encompassing. I am able to go out with friends and not be ashamed to order the quantity that I really way. I can go to sushi and not leave with an empty wallet or with my head hung in shame over how much I just ate. I can go to a BBQ with friends and not be worried about if they are making enough food or think about if I should eat before I go so I don't end up hungry...

I still feel no physical hunger. I know I need to eat and get enough nourishment so I plan my day accordingly and still enjoy what I eat.

I love cooking and that has not changed one bit. I cooked healthy before but it was just in HUGE quantity and I am amazed that I DO NOT miss sitting down to plow through a plate of food.

Exercise is now something that I actually enjoy doing again. I am not saying that if you have always hated exercise you all of a sudden love it now, but for me I used to enjoy it... Until I got so big that it was uncomfortable to even bend down to put on my gym shoes.

I do not enjoy mindless walking/ jogging on a tread mill... I love resistance training and hiking. You have to find something that works for you.

I do not go to the gym 5 days a week, nor do I feel that I need to. I try to go 3 times a week at least, some times 4, but lately with all the new stuff going on it has honestly been more like once or twice a week. I know I need to step it back up but the weight loss is just about the same when I exercise and when I don't. I exercise for my over all health and to build/ keep muscle tone.

My hair has gotten substantially thinner but I had really thick hair to start with...

When I went in to have my "mock up hair do" done for the wedding, the stylist said that it is already growing back in and you wont be able to tell at all in 6 more months... She also said that when it is dry and naturally down you can not tell at all.

The loss started pretty heavy 3 months post op and has slowed down over the last few week.

So be prepared for Hair loss but know that is does get better.

There is SOOO much more I could write about but I feel like I am rambling so I'm going to stop... :-)

However I would like to say THANK YOU to all of you on the board that have unknowingly answered so many of my questions along the way and I look forward to being able to help others the way you have all helped me.

If you are new and have questions feel free to ask away...

~Bonnie

Congrats Bonnie you have done an awesome job!

Bonnie,

you are doing great! Congrats on all of the new things in your life...Enjoy every minute.

Wow, that is exactly how much I need to lose. I hope I can do that in six months also. You are such an inspiration.

Hi Bonnie....

I know your post is a while back but i do have a few questions for you. I am 4 weeks away from VSG and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me. I am wondering if you are finding that there is a lot of excess skin as you lose weight. My mother had Gastric bypass and absolutely had to get a Tummy Tuck. what is your height? I would love to get an idea of where i might be headed in the future and what to look for.

Thanks!

Amithist

Hellllooooooo Everyone!

I know I have been MIA for a while but I have been extremely busy with all of the new things going on in my life.

(New House, New Puppy, Wedding that is now in 7 days, New job) I hope you understand. ;)

Yesterday (May 27th) was my 6 month surgiversary but I decided to stick to my routine and not weight in until this morning.

Before I got on the scale I though to myself (Like I have MANY times over the last 6 months) "I did everything right this week but I know the weight loss has to slow down at some point, so its OK if I don't pull a big number."

I got on the scale and I was down another 4 pounds from last week!!!

Bringing my total in 6 months and 1 day to exactly 115 lbs!!!

I started this journey at 325# and I am now 210#!!

Here are a few things that have really stuck out in my mind about my journey so far...

Since surgery I have not gone one week with out losing.

I know this will change and some point and I am prepared for it because I though it would have already happened by now.

This probably isn't normal but it is possible. I stick to my plan and it pays off. :-)

I have been making You Tube videos since 6 weeks post op, as well as taking progress pictures and measurements weekly and those 3 things have helped me get through this journey mentally more then I can even begin to express. You can not see what other see unless you take these pictures along the way and TRULY look at them. It is hard to look back and see where you started but it feels damn good to see where you are at now and how your body is changing.

PLEASE TAKE PICTURES AND MEASUREMENTS!!! It will truly blow your mind!

With the removal of the Ghrelin it has been like some one flipped a switch in my head and I no longer have a constant nagging hunger.

Eating is no longer something that consumes my every though, it is still enjoyable but not all encompassing. I am able to go out with friends and not be ashamed to order the quantity that I really way. I can go to sushi and not leave with an empty wallet or with my head hung in shame over how much I just ate. I can go to a BBQ with friends and not be worried about if they are making enough food or think about if I should eat before I go so I don't end up hungry...

I still feel no physical hunger. I know I need to eat and get enough nourishment so I plan my day accordingly and still enjoy what I eat.

I love cooking and that has not changed one bit. I cooked healthy before but it was just in HUGE quantity and I am amazed that I DO NOT miss sitting down to plow through a plate of food.

Exercise is now something that I actually enjoy doing again. I am not saying that if you have always hated exercise you all of a sudden love it now, but for me I used to enjoy it... Until I got so big that it was uncomfortable to even bend down to put on my gym shoes.

I do not enjoy mindless walking/ jogging on a tread mill... I love resistance training and hiking. You have to find something that works for you.

I do not go to the gym 5 days a week, nor do I feel that I need to. I try to go 3 times a week at least, some times 4, but lately with all the new stuff going on it has honestly been more like once or twice a week. I know I need to step it back up but the weight loss is just about the same when I exercise and when I don't. I exercise for my over all health and to build/ keep muscle tone.

My hair has gotten substantially thinner but I had really thick hair to start with...

When I went in to have my "mock up hair do" done for the wedding, the stylist said that it is already growing back in and you wont be able to tell at all in 6 more months... She also said that when it is dry and naturally down you can not tell at all.

The loss started pretty heavy 3 months post op and has slowed down over the last few week.

So be prepared for Hair loss but know that is does get better.

There is SOOO much more I could write about but I feel like I am rambling so I'm going to stop... :-)

However I would like to say THANK YOU to all of you on the board that have unknowingly answered so many of my questions along the way and I look forward to being able to help others the way you have all helped me.

If you are new and have questions feel free to ask away...

~Bonnie

CONGRATS BJ! SOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All and Thank you for all of the responses.

This was actually my 6 month update that got bumped to the top when some one commented yesterday... :-)

I am now 8.5 months post op and will be posting tomorrow with a new update.

Sorry I've been MIA for a while I will explain everything when I post tomorrow.

Thanks again!! :-)

thanks so much for sharing ,,, truly inspiring

Thank you every one for your kind words and encouragement. I'm very glad to hear that my videos/ posts have helped some of you.

To answer this:

I guess you can say that I have followed a "plan" but really it is just making sure my body is getting what it needs.

I always drink at least 64 oz of Fluid a day.

I make sure I get at least 70 grams of protien a day but it is usually more (closer to 80-90). I stick with lean protien (seafood, chicken, pork loin, leans red meat, ground turkey) 99% of the time. I ALWAYS keep a few things cooked and cut up in little pieces in the fridge so they are easy to grab if I'm headed out or home for a quick lunch.

I stick to under 30g of carbs a day if I am not working out. These carbs usually come from fruit or vegetables as well as veggie chips.

On the days I go to the gym I eat closer to 50 grams of carb because if I don't eat more carbs before I work out I get dizzy.

I have not had a problem with dairy but I find that the carbs always run high in regular milk so I drink Unsweetened Organic Soy milk to cut back on carbs and give me more protien.

I also follow the "golden sleeve rules."

No eating and drinking together and Protien First!!

A normal day may look like this:

Breakfast -powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protien drink- (1 cup Chilled decaff coffee, 1 cup unsweetend soy milk, 1scoop Unjury protien chocolate splendor, Torani sugar free syrup) I sip on this all morning long while at work. Over ice it is amazing and tastes like I real treat.

Snack- String cheese or turkey Jerky

Lunch- what ever I have prepared ahead of time for that week. IE: cooked chilled Shrimp or a hard boiled eggs or roasted chicken salad (with veggies no mayo), grilled steak strips.

Snack- Veggie chips or fruit

Dinner- always a protien and some kind of veggie. I cook other sides like Pasta or rice for my fiancé and may have a tiny bite but not very often.

If we go out it is almost ALWAYS for sushi and I just get sashimi, no rolls or rice still.

"Dessert"- I still love sugar free popsicles so we keep those around but I will usually have another 1/2 scoop of chocolate protien powder warmed in decaff coffee about 1.5 hours before we go to bed. Or I make protien pudding Popsicles that are really good as well.

On days that I work out I will add a half piece of toast with some Smart Balance spread and jam, or some cheese and crackers about an hour before I work out other wise I get really dizzy.

All of these are just a few examples of a "typical" day.

I have a huge variety of foods that I cycle through often so that I do not get bored as well.

Hope this helps!!

Thank again everyone!!