Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering how long everyone was planning on taking to recover. My surgeon is recommending a month off of work and I am fortunate enough to have my mom to help me financially and emotionally during that time. I was wanting to know what ya'll were being told by your surgeons and those that have had the procedure how long it took them to recover.

I have heard that it depends what you do for a living.

That being said, I have always thought that after surgery, one needs to be kind to one's body. You will have just come through a MAJOR SURGERY under DEEP ANETHESIA. That's like a trip to Hell and back.

If at all possible (I realize that sometimes it just isn't) try to take the month off.

Rest. Get to know your new "plumbing". Get to know the new YOU.

It used to be common to be told that after major surgery it takes six months to feel fully recovered.

That is my personal opinion on this day,

Valentina

I was wondering how long everyone was planning on taking to recover. My surgeon is recommending a month off of work and I am fortunate enough to have my mom to help me financially and emotionally during that time. I was wanting to know what ya'll were being told by your surgeons and those that have had the procedure how long it took them to recover.

My Doctor said two weeks but that some folks with desk jobs felt like returning after a week. I told my employer 2 weeks and so glad I did; there was no way I would have been ready in one week even though I do have a desk job. I just had too much weakness after 1 week. I am 11 days post op now and return to work on Tuesday after the holiday. It just seems to take me FOREVER to get ready in the morning, very sluggish! I am also concerned about being able to take the time to get the liquid and protien requirements in. When I am at work it is nonstop all day, I hope I will be able to take the time to get the supplements in as i will still be on mostly liquids. Otherwise I feel like 2 weeks is adequate. Quite frankly, I am ready to get back to work and get my mind off all of this for a while. Good luck to you, you are so fortunate to have your Mom to help. I had always had my mom in the past as well, but she passed in December so it was really hard doing this without her help! I went into fresh mourning all over again. Cherish her and the time that you have together! You will do great although expect a roller coaster of emotions! I believe there is bright light at the end of this tunnel.

Well, everyone is different, but if your job is really an active one, a month would be great. I didn't need that long off, but my job is not very physical and I was fine. I did not get my energy back for at least a month, but again, if you don't have a demanding job, you will be fine going back earlier. But I would take the month since your mom has agreed to help.

Good luck to yousmile.gif

I felt fine after about 5 days. Other than being anemic, I was good! I got some Iron pills from my dr. and went back to work in 7 days. I have a desk job and really did fine!

Good luck to you.

Kelly :D

My doctor said I could have my surgery Friday and be back to school on Tuesday, so I guess it just depends. I would be so bored if I had a month off.

I've been sleeved a week ago and am going back to work on Tuesday - so around a week and a half. At this point I think that will be enough time for me - I would go stir crazy at home too long. I'm feeling pretty good now - just a little tired. But of course it depends on your work and the type of physical activity you preform there.

My doctor told me a week. He said the key was doing a lot of walking every time I felt like it and that would help my body heal faster and of course getting in as much Protein as possible. We'll see I am scheduled for June 15th! :D

My surgeon said it really depends on the person and the type of job. He said that most take two weeks off, but he's had a few who go back after one week and a few who took 6 weeks off!

Take the month! If you start getting antsy there are tons of things you can do- and nothing you would HAVE to do. I personally am glad I don;t have to be working yet. My husband and son are shooting a wedding tomorrow and we hired a friend to replace me because and mainly because I am not supposed to lift over four pounds until the one month mark but truly I am not ready to be on my feet shooting all day for a ten hour day. I definitely am much much better- I am walking a lot and feeling pretty good but I would not say I am 100% (Must point out here I have chronic nerve pain in my back, two bad knees, and fibromyalgia). The thing is everyone varies- there is a wide spectrum- and you don't know which end you will be on so why not take the time? Heck if you feel great you can sort you closets and get rid of the clothes you know you wont be wearing...go shopping...take walks with your Mom- go to day time movies- do all the things you always wanted to do if you had the time off.

My doc told me 3 weeks...one week for pain and two for fatigue and to adjust to low caloric intake.

i'm planning on going back to work after a week, I don't know if that's a good idea or not but i couldn't afford to take more time off. i've arranged it so the week i return back to work i will only see patients for half days. i'll see how everything turns out.

My doctor didn't really specify how long. I took 2 weeks off from work and I am glad I did. Even though I was feeling pretty good during the second week, I couldn't sit for long periods, I needed to get up and move around plus I felt weak and would get tired extremely easy. I do have a desk job but being in meetings and on conference calls all day can be exhausting and the third week where I was back at work I had to take the Wednesday off cause I was just not feeling great. Everything has been good for me since then. It is definitely worth it to take as much time as you can and go back when you feel comfortable.