Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi New here I'm Malcolm and banded 4 years last may

Guest Malcolm

Hello All

Well I know this is strange me joining this site but I help others who have or are getting banded and offer help FREE to you all.

You may all know me from off other boards or may have visited my website and got some info off it.

Well Tomorrow I'm off to see about my new port replacemnt date this will be my 6 th port operation in 4 years, don't panic almost all due to my BIG weight loss.

Anyway just wanted to say Hi

Guest BigUnit

I don't think its strange that you are posting here, I think its great to have you here. Its rare to find someone banded 4+ years, and I think your experience is a valuable addition. We can always use more banded (and bandwannabe's) men in our discussions. (Ladies please don't be offended by me saying that;) ) Welcome Malcolm, good luck on your port replacement.

This board is cool!

I agree!! We need someone with your experience posting here! And, being a man myself, I'm glad to see another guy out there, too!!! Usually some different stories with weight loss with men than women, so it'll be interesting to keep up with everybody and support each other. Everybody have a GREAT day!!!!

Hi Malcolm -

Your site is a true inspiration. Of course, I particularly love the love story part. :(

A bizillion congrats on your accomplishments, and glad to see you here!

Malcolm,

Were any of your ports replaced due to them breaking? My first port was recently replaced because it broke from the tubing. I was tld that the new ones are better ans will not break.

Guest Malcolm

Hi

I have had 2 ports replaced due to leaks cause by miss guided needles, and the others due to weightloss causing them to break free of the stitches that where holding them in place and my body rejecting them and causing lost of Fluid build up around the spot theye where.

In 2002 I had 5 operations to fix my port they decided in the end to remove it and let my body recover and fight the infection it had from it all.

That was July so over 12 months ago now in the mean time I have had my Tummy Tuck done which was called a half TT due to scars on my tummy they wouldn't go up as high due to blood flow worries they normaly go up to the ribs when they release the skin and fat from the muscles under it, but on me they could only go up half way to the ribs so I still have some loose skin there but hell don't have that spare tire around my waist that rolled over my belt a long way.

Hell it was a big tire as I have lost 300 pounds so far and want to still loose more I had the TT done earlier than Normal to get the port replaced, as it was the loose skin that cause last years problems.

Anyway if anyone has a question /s just ask OK

Malcolm, I agree that your experience is very inspiring so I hope you stick around and tell us more about your experiences.

What were the port operations like? I've heard that sometimes port problems can be fixed with a local anesthesia, instead of being put all the way under. True?

Guest Malcolm

Hi all

Well I had the tubing from the port to the band peirced twice in the first year because my port was almost 3 inches below the skin surface, so they where fixed under a general anestetic, the last 5 port operation where in 2002 and due to my large weight loss the skin was pulling the port away from the muscle layer where it was attached it was re-attached 3 times the 3 rd time my body rejected it and I built up a big Fluid pocket from an infection the new port was causing from the rejection of it in there.

The last 2 operation on the port where to put in a new one as it was the old one they refitted each time before this didn't help even with the new one so the final operation was to remove it and set the band at 1.5 cc and that is where it is now and those 5 op's where with a local anestetic and they talked to me the whole time.

90% of port repairs can be done under a Local BUT here they do them still in hospital but as a day patient never in the dr's clinic as it may require more work and then a general may be needed.

I am one of the biggest weight loss one here in Australia yes there are a few even bigger but they had surgical help to loose a big ammount by getting a TT to start with and having more as they lost they all tended to be much shorter than I am as I am 6'2" tall so my weight was spread out LOL.

Anuway Ask question and If I can answer I will , hell 4 + years with my band I have learnt a thing or two.