Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possibly adjusting my goal weight

Hey guys/gals,

I'm having some concerns about my goal weight and I've been trying to find a solution. I never realized before but my surgeon never set a goal weight for me and I was just gonna shoot for 140lbs because I remember being that weight in high school. I thought about it a bit more and then I remembered, at 140lbs, at 5'7"- I looked like a stick. People use to ask me all the time was a sick, etc.... so I emailed my doctor and today I finally got a response that says he thinks I should go for a145-150 but no lower than 145. So I wanted to know you guys opinion on the topic, should I change my goal weight to 145 or should I leave it at 140? I would even say I would push for 150 but I'm not sure. I'm gonna try and include a pic of me at 139lbs in highschool so you guys can see.

post-7388-13813656649523_thumb.jpg

Good question... I have two goal weights and the same as you, my own goal is lower than my surgeon's... they way I am looking at it now, is that when I get to a nice size and 'feel right' then that will be my goal. I am not really losing much weight, but seem to be getting smaller... not sure what is actually goin on here...lol... but I ain't gaining either.

I suppose, what I am trying to say, is that you will know when you feel good... and that is your goal weight!

let us know what you decide =]

High school pic you do not look like a stick to me, you had this surgery for yourself when you get closer to your goal ask yourself do I think I look good then go from there.

Hey guys/gals,

I'm having some concerns about my goal weight and I've been trying to find a solution. I never realized before but my surgeon never set a goal weight for me and I was just gonna shoot for 140lbs because I remember being that weight in high school. I thought about it a bit more and then I remembered, at 140lbs, at 5'7"- I looked like a stick. People use to ask me all the time was a sick, etc.... so I emailed my doctor and today I finally got a response that says he thinks I should go for a145-150 but no lower than 145. So I wanted to know you guys opinion on the topic, should I change my goal weight to 145 or should I leave it at 140? I would even say I would push for 150 but I'm not sure. I'm gonna try and include a pic of me at 139lbs in highschool so you guys can see.

Thanks! That's good sound advice. biggrin.gif I'm thinking about pushing for the initial 150 and once I reach it, if I can get to 145 then hey! lol

I am the same height and am looking at 150-145. I didn't like when I was smaller than that when I was younger. I say go for what you are comfortable with. If you liked it, go for it. Also think that if you had children, it might get harder to get to that weight.

i think you look great in your high school photo. That's about what I weighed in high school and I am 5'8". But you know, the older we get, that high school weight does seem a little low. A few years ago, I got down to 160 and I looked pretty dang good, if I do say so. The only difference was I was working out like a mad lady with weights and all. I think that weight was good for me but I would not be opposed to going on down to 140 if I can, and just seeing how I look. If I do look sickly or bad, I will just adjust my goal weight then.

Good luck with whatever you decide.smile.gif

I did the same thing. I adjusted my goal weight from 154 to 165. When I get there I'll see how I feel and if I want to lose more, I will. I say, change it to 150. See how you feel when you get there, and again if you think you want to lose more then go for it! Nothing wrong with that at all. :)

Thanks guys!!! :)

you could let your body decide what is the weight it wants to be. When you get closer to "goal" bring your calories up to maintence levels and then see where you body will adjust to.

My doctor didn't give me a goal weight either, but there's a BMI chart in my primary physician's exam room, and it says that at 5' 4" I should weigh about 140 to not be overweight. So I set my official goal at 150 lbs. but I really want to get down to 135. I will actually be thrilled to get to 150, though--I haven't been that small for 30 years!

I am shooting for145, but I have been sticking around the 165 range for a while now. I called my nut and she said our bodies just kinda figure it out and stay where they are comfy. While I will keep shooting for goal, I am not going to sweat it.

You could be like me, and have your body tell you when it is happy! I have been at 150 for about 4 months now! Eat the same damn thing every day since surgery! Can't drop another pound to save my damn life and if I do, it is back the next day! I think this is my body's way of saying I'm done for now! I'm in a size 6 jeans, but they are getting loose on me, so maybe in a few weeks a size 4 but who knows! I'm happy a all heck, and I feel freaking great!!! I feel a heck of a lot better than I did at 240 before I got the crap band! so, that is a major plus!!! You will know when you are at your GOAL! Just go with it!

I'm going to keep on trying, i just want to have a 'normal' BMI even if it is for 5 minutes just to say I DID IT! But I'm not going to beat myself up to get there, i'm having too much fun enjoying my life right now!

That HS pic is so cute!! You look really good at that height/weight (at that age, of course -- tho I am guessing you could be the same size now while being like 10 pounds heavier).

I'm happy a all heck, and I feel freaking great!!! I feel a heck of a lot better than I did at 240 before I got the crap band! so, that is a major plus!!! You will know when you are at your GOAL! Just go with it!

Well said. That's what it's all about, really. I recently adjusted my goal from 145 up to 154. No one gave me a goal either, I just picked it out of the air. But after looking at the BMI chart, I would be happy just to get under the 25 mark to be "normal". And I'd be content to get into a size 8, so whatever that weight turns out to be, I'll say I made it!