Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Placed Band In The Wrong Place

Thanks, I am in Michigan. I would really appreciate it. I didn't die so most aren't interested. I had one guy told me that if I had permanent injury to call them back. It perplexes me, it you get in a car accident and have a headache eveyone wants to talk to you, but that fact that I haven't been able to eat and have been in incredible pain doesn't seem to matter. What's worse is the doctor sent me on my way and I think he hoped I wouldn't come back.

Where is he located? I talked to an attorney that we have used in the past and he let me give him all of the details then advised me that he is friends with the Doctor. I was pretty ticked that he let me go on. I haven't had any luck in talking to anyone else.

Thanks.

This is ALSO unethical behavior and should be reported to the Bar Association in your state. This "friend" of the doctor now knows everything you plan on telling your next lawyer and has, no doubt, decided on how he plans to damage your credibility. Report him.

I will put you in touch with someone that can help you. It is important to have the band moved first and put in the RIGHT place. That doctor will be a witness that it indeed was put in the wrong place. You will get damages out of that. We just have to find a malpractice attorney that will takes a small case. I would say that it is probably a $100,000 case. However, until you get FIXED it is worth nothing. So let's pray that the band gets moved and you become a new person............... Let's keep in touch.

You can always email me at asbell38@hotmail.com

Where is he located? I talked to an attorney that we have used in the past and he let me give him all of the details then advised me that he is friends with the Doctor. I was pretty ticked that he let me go on. I haven't had any luck in talking to anyone else.

Thanks.

I am an attorney, but I don't do medical malpractice. Plus, please do not construe what I say as legal advice, but rather just a suggestion. (Now that the disclaimers are over...)

I would not automatically assume that you don't have a claim. I would start by calling your local bar association and ask for names of three medical malpractice attorneys. You definitely want someone who does this on a regular basis. Have consults with every one of them. Also, talk to some friends and ask if they know any medical malpractice attorneys. A referral from someone you know is worth more than any other referral.

From my limited knowledge of medical malpractice, it is difficult to file a claim. However, most med mal attorneys know other ways to file claims or complaints against the doctors. Remember that it is not about making you rich. It is about making sure that someone else doesn't get hurt.

If I can be of further help, let me know.

My guess is that they do not want the claim because it's difficult to determine if your doctor put it in the wrong place to begin with... or it was placed correctly and slipped. Just a thought.

He also may be unwilling to admit his mistake out of fear that this will be used against him in a future case. I guess he failed to see the recent articles that most people do not sue if the doctor admits his mistake and tries to fix it. That's sad.

Nonetheless, I'm glad that you've found somebody who can help you. I hope this surgery goes well...and you are off on your way to becoming a skinny version of yourself.

On the up side Dr. Bhesania is my doctor also, he is a good doctor. I am kinda bad when it comes to doctors, I am hard on them, but Doc B. is ok IMHO. T

So sorry to hear what you've been through. I hope all works out well for you. THEN....SUE THE FIRST DOCTOR!!!!!

Roberta

Thank you, Roberta! I am getting pretty nervous, which I was not the first time. I'm still not sure about the suing thing but I do intend to file a complaint against Blue Cross for telling me that Port Huron is not an approved biaratric center. I guess it all depends on the outcome.

Mary

I had my surgery in feb of 04, yes I live in Port Huron. You will like the whole staff at PH Hosp. Tammy is the coordinator and very nice indeed. (even when you feel bad and are being a bite) lol. Good luck to you. T

I live in Croswell. I had my revision yesterday. I am home now and so far so good. I have a little shoulder pain but other than that I am fine. The first doctor did put it in the wrong place. Maybe I will see you at the support group.

How can it be determined if your band slipped or placed in the wrong place to begin with? Also how do you file appeals with insurance that no longer covers the LBS. I had an UGI that shows band isn't where it should be but we aren't sure where it is. Dr states I need surgery to find out. But insurance company states they won't cover a revision.

To be honest, I didn't check with my insurance company. They approved it in the first place so my new doctor said it would be covered. If they approved it the first time they should help with anything associated with it. If they don't I guess I will just make payments.

They compared my original x-rays to the ones from a month ago. The band didn't move, he just placed it wrong.

If it's in the wrong place there is no way to live with it like that. I had an awful time with solids. I felt like I was having a heart attack or being stabbed in the chest.

There is a lawyer either on this forum or on www.obestityhelp.com that will help with insurance issues. I think his name is Gary Varga or something like that. There is also a web site from the Kaiser Family Foundation, www.kff.org that might be of help to you.

Good luck.

Hi Mary,

My name is Josette and I live in Lansing. I'm having surgery at PH on Aug 3rd with Dr. Boutt. I love everyone there. I'm sure you'll have a great experience. Hang in there. It's almost fixed!

You should post on the Michigan Thread about Dr. Wood so people coming here to research where to go will be aware of that. I just happened upon this by accident.