Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having my band removed/VSG surgery on 6/17!

Wow...a week ago I made the decision to have my band removed and found out today my doctor can do it on 6/17. I am nervous and excited at the same time. I've had my band for 14 months and while I have lost most of my weight, I have 10 lbs to go to get to goal, my body seems to not like fills and I've had as many unfills as fills during this time. My doctor has told me many times that he doesnt think the band is for me in the long run and believes the VSG is the way to go. I hope he is right and judging on what I've read, he seems to be!

Hey Jax!

I am really excited for you. You have been successful with your band and are going for your revision before it starts giving you major trouble. I had my band for 4.5 years and ended up gaining back most of my weight by eating slider foods that I could keep down.

I am now in my third week post revision and going strong. This website is the place to be and I am proud to be a part of it! Through the good times and the not so good times, the folks on this site have been very supportive for me and will be there for you, too!

All the best!

Barb

Wow...a week ago I made the decision to have my band removed and found out today my doctor can do it on 6/17. I am nervous and excited at the same time. I've had my band for 14 months and while I have lost most of my weight, I have 10 lbs to go to get to goal, my body seems to not like fills and I've had as many unfills as fills during this time. My doctor has told me many times that he doesnt think the band is for me in the long run and believes the VSG is the way to go. I hope he is right and judging on what I've read, he seems to be!

I think you will love the sleeve. It is so nice to not have to worry about fills and having a foreign object in your body anymore. My sleeve has been amazing. I have been very successful and I feel amazing!

I never had a band (was headed towards the band though, when my hubby decided he wanted WLS too and begged me to research the sleeve, we are now both sleeved) but judging from the people on this board who had revised to the sleeve you will be so happy to be able to eat and not PB your food back up (and healthy foods too.) I have never once had anything come back up in the last almost 7 months!

Since you have so little to get to goal I'm guessing that you will probably achieve it shortly after your revision surgery. WOW! Best of luck with your revision, this is definitely the place to learn everything about the sleeve!

Congrats on your decision, I'm so happy for you! I think you have a great dr who knows what he's talking about. I did not have the band, but I've seen so many people have problems. It's a great idea to revise before the more serious problems even start. In the comparisons from people who have had both, all seem much happier with the sleeve. Good luck and keep us posted!

:D

That is great!! My revision was by far one of the best decisions of my life. :) Keep us updated on how you're doing! I agree with M2G you will hit your goal probably by the first week!!

From your lips to Gods ears! Hitting my goal so soon after surgery would be so sweet after the hell the band has put me through! I originally thought it would be silly getting VSG this close to goal and I am so happy I've made the decision. I just want to do it now! I feel like the girl who turned into a blueberry in the movie Willie Wonka "I want it now Daddy, I want it now!" Oompa, oompa!

I never had a band (was headed towards the band though, when my hubby decided he wanted WLS too and begged me to research the sleeve, we are now both sleeved) but judging from the people on this board who had revised to the sleeve you will be so happy to be able to eat and not PB your food back up (and healthy foods too.) I have never once had anything come back up in the last almost 7 months!

Since you have so little to get to goal I'm guessing that you will probably achieve it shortly after your revision surgery. WOW! Best of luck with your revision, this is definitely the place to learn everything about the sleeve!

You'll definitely hit your goal after the sleeve - the liquid diet will ensure that :-)

I am curious, is your doctor going to give you a bigger sleeve since your weight is so low? I only had 60 pounds to lose after my revision and I can't imagine what this diet would do to someone who only has to lose 10 pounds. This sleeve has been AMAZING for my weight loss. I was so disappointed in my band that I only wanted to make sure I didn't gain more - I wasn't as focused on losing.

Congrats to you on having a doctor that understands that the band is not a way to live for the rest of your life!!!

Lara

My dr told me he uses a size 40f bougie for all his patients and I guess that is a little bigger than most. I asked him why a 40 and not a 32-36 which seems to be more common and he responded that the difference in size is minimal but the chances for complications were much, much less with a 40f. I have spoken to many of his patients and others here and I am confident in his decision. I just want to get it overwith already

You'll definitely hit your goal after the sleeve - the liquid diet will ensure that :-)

I am curious, is your doctor going to give you a bigger sleeve since your weight is so low? I only had 60 pounds to lose after my revision and I can't imagine what this diet would do to someone who only has to lose 10 pounds. This sleeve has been AMAZING for my weight loss. I was so disappointed in my band that I only wanted to make sure I didn't gain more - I wasn't as focused on losing.

Congrats to you on having a doctor that understands that the band is not a way to live for the rest of your life!!!

Lara

I too just received a date for band revision 6/20, and can't wait to get this out of me! I lost 85 lbs with my band initially but in the last 8 months have gained 18 back. Partially due to the the liquids I seem to be living on and slidder foods because most healthy foods come back up at night. My allergies seem to have gotten so bad in the last 2 years that when they hit the mucus seems to block my band and it all comes back up. Especially at night.

My surgeon says this can sometimes be a problem with the sleeve also but is usually not as severe. Also the acid reflux i have dealt with has been constant. I just hope there is not major damage to my esophagus. Hoping the gain stops and I can get back to the loosing. I'd like to get the 18 off plus another 30-35 with the sleeve. But really just to stop gaining and get a healthy throat back would be great.

Are you worried about the band out and revision all at once? After 3 years of my band being in I'm afraid of the scarring and having them dig out the port.

Gloria

I am hoping that because I've only had my band for 15 months, scar tissue won't be an issue. I'm only looking to lose another 15 lbs or so and than to keep it off! Good luck to us both!

I too just received a date for band revision 6/20, and can't wait to get this out of me! I lost 85 lbs with my band initially but in the last 8 months have gained 18 back. Partially due to the the liquids I seem to be living on and slidder foods because most healthy foods come back up at night. My allergies seem to have gotten so bad in the last 2 years that when they hit the mucus seems to block my band and it all comes back up. Especially at night.

My surgeon says this can sometimes be a problem with the sleeve also but is usually not as severe. Also the acid reflux i have dealt with has been constant. I just hope there is not major damage to my esophagus. Hoping the gain stops and I can get back to the loosing. I'd like to get the 18 off plus another 30-35 with the sleeve. But really just to stop gaining and get a healthy throat back would be great.

Are you worried about the band out and revision all at once? After 3 years of my band being in I'm afraid of the scarring and having them dig out the port.

Gloria

Sounds all so familiar. I was banded in November of 2008 and have done pretty well. I went from 245 to 185ish. The my band got very tight, started PBing a lot and eating slider foods just to get something in me. Healthy stuff sometimes went down, most times not and caused me several embarassing incidents in public. I maintained the loss but was unable to lose more.

Mostly though I have had no complications. I maintained my loss well until I decided to try a slight unfill. Went from 6 cc to 5.5 cc and now it is like there is no band there at all. Gained back 15 lbs in two weeks - stunning.

My band comes out today. Sleeve is on June 16th.

There's a lot of revision patients that revise super close to goal so you'll be fine, and hit goal. Your body will stabilize quicker than most of us, and maintenance might be tricky, but it can be done. There's only 2.3mm difference between a 32fr and 40fr bougie so not a huge difference at all.

I hope everything goes well for your revision. You'll love the sleeve and zero maintenance lifestyle.

There's a lot of revision patients that revise super close to goal so you'll be fine, and hit goal. Your body will stabilize quicker than most of us, and maintenance might be tricky, but it can be done. There's only 2.3mm difference between a 32fr and 40fr bougie so not a huge difference at all.

I hope everything goes well for your revision. You'll love the sleeve and zero maintenance lifestyle.

Thank you so much for these encouraging words! Just one question....why will maintenance be tricky? I was worried about the bougie size so I am happy to know its not much larger at all! I was thinking "this is it...I dont want to end up with a sleeve thats too big and not be able to lose and maintain this weight".

Thank you so much for these encouraging words! Just one question....why will maintenance be tricky? I was worried about the bougie size so I am happy to know its not much larger at all! I was thinking "this is it...I dont want to end up with a sleeve thats too big and not be able to lose and maintain this weight".

Trying to get your body to maintain after the sleeve might take a bit more "liquid" calories since you are so close to goal. Early out (for the first 3 months), restriction is really apparent. It begins to loosen up as the sleeve matures, and around 9-12 months out, most find their sleeve has matured. Just trying to get in enough calories/protein/carbs/fats to maintain a healthy weight might be trickier than if you had say 50lbs to lose.

The couple of revision patients that I latched onto early in my revision process were both within 20-25lbs to goal when they revised. They both dropped about 30-40lbs initially and then regained it once they were able to consume more foods after the healing period. Then again, your body may respond differently, and you might not have those same struggles. Some surgeons swear that revision patients lose slower than virgin sleeve patients, but I'm living proof that isn't always the case.