Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I live in Kansas, reasearching banding NOW WHAT?

Don't be sorry. I haven't posted on here for months so I can't even remember what I posted in the past. It is best to get a more up to date post anyway. Please note, that I also updated my ticker :)

Thanks for the info...

It has BEEN MONTHS since I looked at this thread! I had no idea Tallgrass was so inexpensive! I may have to refer my mom to them.

Since I started this thread, I progressed pretty fast considering our new insurance kicked in Jan 2007......

Topeka is just a hop skip and a jump for me (and her)

Yes, the cost of Tallgrass is very competitive, especially locally. I didn't want to travel to a strange place to have the operation. So, I am happier knowing I had it locally and can see my surgeon with ease!

What advice would you give to someone who is looking into this surgery as a weight loss option? I am looking at this as a last resort as all other attempts have failed.

What advice would you give to someone who is looking into this surgery as a weight loss option? I am looking at this as a last resort as all other attempts have failed.

Hi, one of the main things that I would first look at is the doctor and how many LB they have done. If they have only performed 2-3 hundred they may not have the history to see their success rate in this area. Also, what type of medications do they plan to send you home with. If they are using heavy meds as a planned therapy- you might consider another doc. Their skill or lack there of could be the reason for the heavy medications. It is important to know how they do their surgery. Be sure to check their refrences, find people that have used them.

One thing with the LB is to know just like other areas of life, it is ONLY a tool. One that you have to work with. You have to know that you are going to need to make good food choices and follow the "rules". The good thing with this though you will be able to loose, and you will be able maintain.

I have been banded on May 24th, and with pre opt and Lb i have as of last week lost 35#'s . So i am very pleased. I have broken my foot last week so now have to deal with no exercise. I know this is for a life time. That the weight didn't come on in a day and it surely isn't going to leave in a day.

Do your research, Is the bigest suggestion I have. Once you make the choice to change forever then this is the proceedure. It is a lot easier on your body than the bypass.

Good luck on your journey.

I live in the KC area too and was recommended to the Weight Loss Surgical center in Shawnee Mission....I need to ask questions and be certain that this is the right place for me. Does anyone have any feedback on this place?

Roc: When I first came here looking for research I was steered AWAY from the WLSC.... a gal that was banded last year, works in the medical field and warned me against the dr who works there..... I can't speak for them, but I didn't use them becasue they were not affiliated with ANY insurance and offered to help me get reimbursed....... I opted for Dr. Malley who WAS on my insurance

Thanks for your advice I attended my seminar on Saturday and I am going to my regular dr to korrow to fill in some of the gaps as to my weight gain. Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here

Traci--I just love your pics that show your weight loss progress!! Thanks for the response. My husband's coworker used WLSC, the Overland Park office and her ins. covered 100%, (I have the same ins) so I am hoping for the same coverage. I believe, though only one DR there can do the surgery for me...so I am hoping it's not the DR you were told about....do you remember who that might be??

I live in the KC area too and was recommended to the Weight Loss Surgical center in Shawnee Mission....I need to ask questions and be certain that this is the right place for me. Does anyone have any feedback on this place?

I had my surgery at WTLSC on 6/15 by Dr. Ellison, and he did a great job. Everyone there is so nice, I would recommend them in a heatbeat!

My first consultation was 5/9/07 and surgery date 6/15/07...so everything went very fast.

Hey all--pre-op visit scheduled for 7/12 w/ Dr. Salim at KU Medical Center...Band surgery on for 7/20~ Finally the day is here and luckily insurance will cover me @ 100%! Can't "weight" to start losing!

Tracy,

I was banded last June 2006. I missed one day of office work. Couldn't lift, but could sit and do office work. Tallgrass is on the web, can't remember the address, but search for Kansas Lapband, or Lapband Doctors in Kansas. They are in Topeka and several in the clinic, really nice and good. I haven't had any trouble since surgery and never regretted a day. Lost 110 lbs so far, another 100 to go. Good luck.

Barb Unrein

Hello fellow Kansas banders.....

I am also being banded by Dr.Bernstein {? on spelling} from Tallgrass. My surgery date is Aug 20th. I am very excited and a little scared. I need to start Hell week on Aug 8th to prepare for surgery. I am told this week really sucks.... Any sugestions on how to cope with the list of liquids that are recomended? What types of food can you eat post surgery? I know it is liquids and slowly advance to mushies and then reg food, but what types of things have you found that you can eat on these different stages? I went a head and took 12 days off of work to try and get used to my band and figure out what types of food will work well for me. Any sugestions that anyone has will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance....

Nulife2be

Hi nulife!

One thing that helped me with my Protein drinks was to blend them up in my Magic Bullet with ice! I also added coffee flavorings to them, the flavorings (vanilla, chocolate, hazelnut, etc) can be found in most grocery stores (I use Price Chopper) in the coffee aisle, and they come in sugar free varieties too!

As far as what to eat after surgery, the nutritionist that is affiliated with your surgeon should be able to give you better advice, since all doctors vary in what they want and dont want you to eat.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!! Please keep us posted on your progress!!

Hi Tracie! I live in Edwardsville. To the best of my knowledge, Dr.s Hitchcock and Hoehn at Shawnee Mission Medical Center are pretty much leading the way in the KC Metro area. Personally I couldn't afford them (self pay) so I went to Mexico for mine a week ago Monday. I called around to find follow up care and fills and had no problem getting them at a reasonable price. (prices vary greatly) Good luck...I started my process over a year ago. When I learned my ins would not pay I started researching Mexico.

Feel free to email me if you would like more information about any of this.

:mad::):mad::):success1::):car::);):):(:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)