Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I was sleeved on 04/04/2011. The doc told my family that the surgery went awesome I was the easiest patient he had ever performed the sleeve on. Little did any of us know I was going to be the worst he had dealt with on the recovery end of things. In the hospital I had a hard time from the git-go they would bring me up my trays with all liquids on it and want me to sip I would attempt to sip on things but it never failed I would end up getting sick. The gas and the reflux and the nausea/vomiting was so overwhelming to my body. They tried to take the IV fluids out after a day but ended up having to put it back in because I became dehydrated. I ended up spending a total of 6 days in the hospital altogether and even on the 6th day they really didn't want to let me leave but they gave in. I went home to experience pure hell. I couldn't get anything down and I was still doing full liquids at this point. I once again got really dehydrated and ended up having to go to the Infusion Center for IV fluids this went on for awhile (a few appointments) let's just say they new me by face. After a couple attempts at I believe it was an upper GI which never worked do to the fact I couldn't get the barium yuk-yuk stuff down my doc decided to do a EGD where he went down into my tummy with the scope. His conclusion, I have a small stricture where my esophagus meets my stomach and he wants to just wait it out to see if it fixes itself.....so we wait and we wait and I'm not getting any better I go into see him on April 27th looking like death and end up going to the hospital to get a PICC line (TPN) inserted into my arm and pretty much from that day I have been having a lovely bag of I dunno every-night for dinner while I sleep. Still things aren't any better with trying to get liquids or soft foods down and I'm at a loss. Doc says something about stretching it out possibly or switching it to a Gastric Bypass which scares me to death. I just wanna feel somewhat normal again that's all I ask....I am scheduled for a second EGD on Monday the 16th (keep fingers crossed that they figure this out) So here's my questions....

1. Besides it possibly being a stricture is there anything else it might be I could mention to my doc?

2. From what information I was able to give, has anyone ever experienced any of these issues or anything similar? If so what was it?

3. Does anyone know exactly what changing it to a Gastric Bypass is going to accomplish?

Thanks so much for any help I'll take anything at this moment I am desperate begging down on my knees for answers.

Diamond-n-the-rough

So, I was sleeved on 04/04/2011. The doc told my family that the surgery went awesome I was the easiest patient he had ever performed the sleeve on. Little did any of us know I was going to be the worst he had dealt with on the recovery end of things. In the hospital I had a hard time from the git-go they would bring me up my trays with all liquids on it and want me to sip I would attempt to sip on things but it never failed I would end up getting sick. The gas and the reflux and the nausea/vomiting was so overwhelming to my body. They tried to take the IV fluids out after a day but ended up having to put it back in because I became dehydrated. I ended up spending a total of 6 days in the hospital altogether and even on the 6th day they really didn't want to let me leave but they gave in. I went home to experience pure hell. I couldn't get anything down and I was still doing full liquids at this point. I once again got really dehydrated and ended up having to go to the Infusion Center for IV fluids this went on for awhile (a few appointments) let's just say they new me by face. After a couple attempts at I believe it was an upper GI which never worked do to the fact I couldn't get the barium yuk-yuk stuff down my doc decided to do a EGD where he went down into my tummy with the scope. His conclusion, I have a small stricture where my esophagus meets my stomach and he wants to just wait it out to see if it fixes itself.....so we wait and we wait and I'm not getting any better I go into see him on April 27th looking like death and end up going to the hospital to get a PICC line (TPN) inserted into my arm and pretty much from that day I have been having a lovely bag of I dunno every-night for dinner while I sleep. Still things aren't any better with trying to get liquids or soft foods down and I'm at a loss. Doc says something about stretching it out possibly or switching it to a Gastric Bypass which scares me to death. I just wanna feel somewhat normal again that's all I ask....I am scheduled for a second EGD on Monday the 16th (keep fingers crossed that they figure this out) So here's my questions....

1. Besides it possibly being a stricture is there anything else it might be I could mention to my doc?

2. From what information I was able to give, has anyone ever experienced any of these issues or anything similar? If so what was it?

3. Does anyone know exactly what changing it to a Gastric Bypass is going to accomplish?

Thanks so much for any help I'll take anything at this moment I am desperate begging down on my knees for answers.

Diamond-n-the-rough

I can't tell you how sorry I am for what you are going through. What a terrible time you are having. I can't give you much assistance but I was wondering if you are in a position to get a second opinion. Are you confident that you can trust your original surgeon? I just think it never hurts to run your medical records past another brain especially before anything significant is done in terms of a fix.

I'm not sure I understand how gastric bypass could help regarding the stricture but it would help with the acid reflux significantly. The pouch you are left with creates so little acid that there's not enough typically to enter up and create the reflux. Of course as you have sadly learned, there's no perfect rule. I'm wondering if he believes the stricture is resolving but you are being left with significant acid reflux, that might be his thinking of a fix.

Do you have a fallback surgeon to talk to? People here might be able to give you a second opinion doctor, someone they've had experience with, if that might help.

Good luck to you. And please keep posting to let us know how you are progressing.

Thanks for the reply...I'm going to take your advice seems that's what everyone is saying to do...second opinion I'm on my way. I will wait to see what he has to say after Monday's EGD test is done though hopefully it will be good news I mean I feel like I deserve a little bit of good luck :)

So sorry you are going through all this... what a bummer!(hippy talk) Im sure you will get though all of this and feel much better on the other side.

I am sooo sorry you are going through this. I can't offer any advice from personal experience but I would definitly try the stretching thing before letting him do bypass. My daughter had bypass and struggels with Vitamin defincies and symptoms and tends to put on a few pounds here and there if not really really careful, not to mention the horrible dumping syndrome that takes time out her life!

I have a friend who had surgery on April 8th and she is experiencing the same things as you are. She spent a week in the hospital last week, a small leak was discovered, and she has a pik line and is home, hoping the little hole will heal. She goes in for a test tomorrow and they'll know more. She was going to have a stint put in, but they waited, thinking and hoping the hole would heal. Her experience sounds JUST like yours. I wish you only good news for the coming week. I will check back to let you know what she finds out Tuesday when she again meets with doctors. Her surgery wasn't with them but she's pleased with her care. I ache for you both---no one should ever have to feel so lousy! she did fairly well for about two weeks and then just couldn't keep anything down.

Thanks again for the advice everyone....Tomorrow is the day I go in for my 2nd EGD hopefully doc will figure out a solution to this mess. I will keep you posted with results.

I have had an issue, no where near as bad as yours! I feel bad for you because I know how frustrated I am and you are having a much rougher tme of it. I have a swollen area or possibly a narrowing at the center of my sleev. Stuff goes in from the esophagus ok..then painnnnn, then ok and it kinda goes like that for a half hour each time I eat. Not cool, sometimes worse than others. My surgeon also mentioned stretching my sleeve (endoscopy this Friday I think) I don't know if that is an in/out deal or a stay over night? I don't know if it hurts...do we start over with liquid diet again??? He did mention if he couldn't stretch it possibly needing to switch to bypass. I tolf him NO WAY! From the start I never wated bypass AT ALL! That would have been an easy ins auth! I fought a denial and jumped through countless hoops to get to the sleeve surgery...I did my job, now darn it, I expect him to do his! I cannot even begin to tell you what I will do if I have to go to bypass. I guess I can complain kick and hollar all I want, if its what i...or we need to do, than I guess its what we'll deal with when the time comes. I was sleeved April 12th and I have had some days better than others, so I hope you follow siut and HEAL on your own. Good luck with the scope tomorrow! I will be rooting for you. Make sure you let me know how you do! Tammy.

Good gracious!! That is such a horrible thing to have to endure. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please, keep us informed of how you are doing...:(

If they tell you to switch to gastric bypass I would def get a second opinion first. I do know people who have had issues with strictures but I've never heard of switching from sleeve to gastric. That seems very harsh to me since you just had surgery to go in and do another so fast. I do have a cousin who has had gastric and has lost a great deal of weight with it in a years time. She looks and feels amazing. I got my sleeve surgery the same day as you. I did have issues getting the liquids down to. I never had much to drink there. I was dependent on my IV's as well. I was in the hospital 2 nights and a day. I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. Did they tell you what caused the stricture? I really hope you can get to the bottom of it but I strongly believe in a second opinion if they can't fix you without a surgery.

Sorry it's been a bit since I posted original but I did want to say thanks to everyone for posting. I had my EGD on Monday doc seems pretty sure that all is fine and is going to be fine but I'm a bit worried still he said he was able to go in and stretch an area out that was a little bit tight...he says my stomach looks all healed he couldn't even tell where my staple line was anymore. I'm am still a little scared though that it's more then he thinks....I have been able to keep somethings down like saltine crackers but I know I'm not going to be able to eat these for the remainder of my life :) we'll see I go for my follow up on Thursday....

Well, I'm glad it looks like everything's okay. Now you just have to take your time progressing through the diet advances--you can join those of us who have to take things really slowly! You must be so relieved that your stomach is healing properly and you don't have to do the changeover to bypass. Thanks for updating!!

Meg