Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I am attached to my hair. I hate to see it thin as well. It did not stop me from getting surgery. I have relied on it as my "crowning glory" when I didn't believe anything else about me was attractive. I AM vein. Vanity is a curse in the end, because naturally all things change, and vanity relies on having a certain fixed view about what something should look like. Even my vanity could not support me in losing weight and keeping it off before surgery. I will not work to keep it off after surgery. My desire to have as much health as I can while alive is my true motivation now... so I am able to live life to its fullest. We all had fears going into this surgery... large or small. Its part of being human. I see people getting Freaked out with a capitol F at gaining one pound in the middle of losing 20 or 100. That is no more rational than worrying about losing your hair. Its a signal that the changing nature of life is unsettling. Hopefully we live and learn. Did you know that Buddhist monks and nuns shave their heads to remove distraction such as vanity?

Glad you decided to go for it!

By the way how much Biotin are you taking, and are you starting it pre-op?

A few things: I started this thread to get advice on the situation, not to get attacked or called vain - which if I was so vain and loved myself I wouldn't be getting surgery.

I freaked out and have since gotten some pretty good advice on taking Biotin from you guys and making sure I keep up with my Protein.

I am having the surgery June 30th so that I can be healthy.

Being called vain and assuming I am young is just really silly.

I believe I am allowed to freak out a bit.

Thank you to those who offered guidance and support.

Yes you are allowed to freak out and everyone goes through a freak out here or there big and small. To those that were being mean, get over it. She is doing what needs to be done and if you can't give constuctive criticism rather than calling names then you shouldn't say anything at all.

A few things: I started this thread to get advice on the situation, not to get attacked or called vain - which if I was so vain and loved myself I wouldn't be getting surgery.

I freaked out and have since gotten some pretty good advice on taking Biotin from you guys and making sure I keep up with my Protein.

I am having the surgery June 30th so that I can be healthy.

Being called vain and assuming I am young is just really silly.

I believe I am allowed to freak out a bit.

Thank you to those who offered guidance and support.

To be thin 2011, you are rude! Just bc u can write stuff doesn't mean u should. We should all be so awesome and humble as you.

To be thin 2011, you are rude! Just bc u can write stuff doesn't mean u should. We should all be so awesome and humble as you.

EXACTLY!! My mom always said that if you can't say something nice don't say anyting at all, however, my motto is sometimes nice doesn't apply and constructive criticism is goes a long way in helping people.

I'm thinking the outspoken poster must've lost some hair. ; )

So here's the deal. . .I had one of the PA's in my surgeon's office explain to me why the hair loss. She said that when you do something as drastic as removed 85% of you stomach your body thinks that it is dying because a major organ has been compromised. So it starts sending all of it's energy to all of the major organs in an effort to save itself. Thereby not having any energy left for any of the peripherals - hair, nails etc. So your hair follicles actually die immediately after surgery but it takes 3 months for them to work their way out of your scalp. That's why you start experiencing Hair loss at about 3 months out. LeslieH is correct that it normally lasts for about 3 months and then will slowly subside.

My hair was very fine to begin with. I wore it in an A-line bob and colored it - both bleach and color, just to have some texture to it so that it appeared thicker. Once my hair started coming out at 3 months I started to freak out and went out and bought 5 wigs - very cool wigs, I might add - you'd be amazed at what's out there. I just could never bring myself to wear one. So I ended up cutting my hair really short (which I thought I would NEVER do) still color and bleach and everyone loves it, including me! When I was 60 pounds heavier I would have never been able to get away with a cut like this because my face was way too fat, but now it looks ok.

This surgery will change your life. No doubt. It is such an amazing transformation you will be in awe. I, too, freaked out about the hair loss and I'm not going to tell you that I didn't have some incredibly emotional times over it, but the weight loss and the new life is SO worth it. It doesn't fall out completely and for many of the gals that have gone from really thick hair to normal hair or even thin hair, when I see them, they still look fabulous - one would never notice the hair loss. Sleeve4me uses those clip in extensions and you would never know it's not her own hair - looks incredible. For me, I just went really short and honestly, don't think I will ever grow my hair long (er) again!

I judge no one on issues like this. I held off on surgery for several months because I am almost phobic about vomiting. But I needed to occasionally vent and take time to adjust. It happens.

Now an update on my hair situation: I stupidly built a home that is largely white and I have almost black hair. Natural very dark hair. It's short. Well I spent Memorial Day weekend spring cleaning and was very proud of the work I was able to get done. It's one of the things about me as a fat person - I don't work out or exercise due to very, very bad knees but I don't sit still either. I mopped, swept, sweepered, washed down.....house looked great.

Now what I can see is hair. Lots of hair. Lots of single 4 to 6 inch dark hairs all over those white floors and counters. ( Bet you're all just wishing I throw a great big dinner party and have you all over huh!!!) Mine is clearly not waiting until 3 months to start falling out. So I checked and sadly the places I am really losing the most are the spots where it was thinnest...although logically I think it's just showing more there.

I've been on Biotin for almost 2 years. I suspected I was headed into a rough road when I noticed that 6 weeks out from being sleeved I have not needed to shave my legs even once. They are a big stubbly, but not in need of a shave. And my fingernails used to grow like crazy. They are not either.

So hopefully this won't be as bad as I expect but next weekend I'm going into town ( I like in the country! ) to a wig shop and checking out a style or two. What the hey? If I have an emergency I'd rather have a wig that looks very "me" to fall back on rather than having to attend an event bald or at least baldish. I want to know my options. My hair is kind of thin to start out with so I guess I'd like a back up just in case. I can live with this. At a 3-4 ounce capacity I was ready for this to be a possibility. Might just go with a Jamie Lee Curtis cut and be done with it.!

All I meant by asking if you were younger was that as one gets older (I'm 44), things like vanity can become less at the top of one's list. Unlike men that always have the possibility of losing hair, it's not normally something we women have to go through. I have a lot of fine hair and would also freak if I lost a lot of it. But I also know that it would come back and then I'd have a twofer - thicker hair and a thinner body! Now if I'd get offa my butt and make my shrink and pulmonary appointments....!

I am 7 months out and I have just really noticed my temples are really bare all of the sudden. I had been using Nioxium all along. My hair lady suggestd Roaine or the likes now. I am not sure about that. I have been really creative with my bangs to hide the missing hair :)

HOWEVER I would not EVER want to stay fat to keep my hair. I am so much happier and healtheir now!

Worse comes to worse I will get a wig or some weavs put in!

2 months post op i started loosing alot of hair

i understand it's temporary, and i'd 100% prefer to be healthy than to keep my beautiful silky black hair

hopefully am keeping up with the Protein, multi-vit and Biotin

=( RIP my beloved hair

That is how my nutritionist explained it too, that it's the body's response to what it perceives as a trauma. The body simply stops putting energy into growing hair. The 3-6 month delay is the time it takes the hair to fall out of the follicle. I'm being sleeved 6/20 and started Biotin yesterday.... whether it helps or not who knows...I have great hair but bring on the sleeve!! even if I'm temporarily bald it will be worth it :)

So here's the deal. . .I had one of the PA's in my surgeon's office explain to me why the Hair loss. She said that when you do something as drastic as removed 85% of you stomach your body thinks that it is dying because a major organ has been compromised. So it starts sending all of it's energy to all of the major organs in an effort to save itself. Thereby not having any energy left for any of the peripherals - hair, nails etc. So your hair follicles actually die immediately after surgery but it takes 3 months for them to work their way out of your scalp. That's why you start experiencing hair loss at about 3 months out. LeslieH is correct that it normally lasts for about 3 months and then will slowly subside.

My hair was very fine to begin with. I wore it in an A-line bob and colored it - both bleach and color, just to have some texture to it so that it appeared thicker. Once my hair started coming out at 3 months I started to freak out and went out and bought 5 wigs - very cool wigs, I might add - you'd be amazed at what's out there. I just could never bring myself to wear one. So I ended up cutting my hair really short (which I thought I would NEVER do) still color and bleach and everyone loves it, including me! When I was 60 pounds heavier I would have never been able to get away with a cut like this because my face was way too fat, but now it looks ok.

This surgery will change your life. No doubt. It is such an amazing transformation you will be in awe. I, too, freaked out about the hair loss and I'm not going to tell you that I didn't have some incredibly emotional times over it, but the weight loss and the new life is SO worth it. It doesn't fall out completely and for many of the gals that have gone from really thick hair to normal hair or even thin hair, when I see them, they still look fabulous - one would never notice the hair loss. Sleeve4me uses those clip in extensions and you would never know it's not her own hair - looks incredible. For me, I just went really short and honestly, don't think I will ever grow my hair long (er) again!