Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess I'm really gonna do this...

Hi everyone. I've been semi-obsessively lurking here for a month or so. This is my first post. Yes- I'm really going to go into debt to pay for having most of a major organ removed. Electively. AND- I'm going across the border to save a few bucks. Sounds crazy. I'm not ready to share that news with very many people in my life. They just wouldn't 'get it'. I'm so grateful to be joining a supportive, understanding community here at VST.

At first, I was hoping that Aetna would pay for my VSG. Their requirements are a BMI of 40 with a 2 year history, or BMI of 35-40 with comorbidities. I went through an application process and some testing with Dr. Kim, a well-regarded surgeon here in DFW. My BMI is right under 40 and I have high blood pressure. It turns out that Aetna is not impressed with my HBP since it is controlled with meds. Also, I must be the only person on these boards to have a sleep study and NOT be diagnosed with apnea. My only diagnosis- Very Loud Snoring. My husband could have told them that. The insurance coordinator was quite frank that I wouldn't qualify. I'm trying to be glad that I didn't have to go through the whole 3 month pre-qual games and then likely still get denied. Dr Kim's cash price is $12,300. That's a lot for me. So, after a brief period of mourning, I started researching the Mexico docs.

I've decied to go with Dr. G. Alvarez. The travel from DFW to Piedras Negras is not a big deal. His price will be $8900. He's not the cheapest, but I'm pretty leary of low bidders. There seems to be a lot of love for Dr Alvarez on these boards. I don't really feel like I'm stepping down in class after considering his experience and glowing reviews. If anyone disagrees and wants to talk me out of it before I send the deposit check, go right ahead.

VSG is tentatively scheduled for July 1st. I'm really excited about doing this but also pretty nervous.

Next week, I'm going on a cruise which will serve as a 7 day Last Supper for me. I'm only required to do a 7 day liquid diet pre-op but my liver will likely need a good scrubbing after a week of cruise food & drink so I'm gonna start early. I'll try to figure out how to add a ticker then.

I've already learned so much from the posters here. I hope I can pay it forward with my own pearls of wisdom (when I get some).

Price for VSG for the month of May is $8750.00 with Dr. Aceves!!! Either way, good luck on your decision and glad you've decided to post! lol

Welcome! I joined the board only a short time ago and had my surgery in las vegas on May5th! I can tell you that I had many worries etc but the people I have met on here are really great and we will all be on your side during this. I know they really helped me along and I only had a short time before my surgery date. When most people dont seem to understand or you are just reluctant to tell them you can come here and be greeted with knowledge, understanding and love! I just returned from the hospital yesterday and I am sore but already feeling much better. Good luck to you and keep us posted!! ;)

Welcome! I joined the board only a short time ago and had my surgery in las vegas on May5th! I can tell you that I had many worries etc but the people I have met on here are really great and we will all be on your side during this. I know they really helped me along and I only had a short time before my surgery date. When most people dont seem to understand or you are just reluctant to tell them you can come here and be greeted with knowledge, understanding and love! I just returned from the hospital yesterday and I am sore but already feeling much better. Good luck to you and keep us posted!! ;)

Hello JoJo,

I had my surgery on the 5th as well. So far so good. Are you having problems with the liquids passing through to your stomach? It hurts really bad and I do not know if it is normal....I have found that the ready made Jello does not sit as well as the kind you have to make yourself. How are things with you?

Price for VSG for the month of May is $8750.00 with Dr. Aceves!!! Either way, good luck on your decision and glad you've decided to post! lol

Dr. Aceves sleeved both me (4-14-11) and my daughter (7-1-10) and we think he and his staff at Almater Hospital in Mexicali rock!! Check it out...Kathe

:). hey kid. You're not alone. There are well, a lot of people who are in your position; others who never even bothered with insurance ( such as myself) and gazillions of people who went down to Mexico. I'm in my sixth week and still not dead, lost 40 pounds already. No complications so far.

This is the argument I've made about the money: I was going to spend it anyway. I was going to spend it on pills, potions, exercise tapes, exercise programs, retreats, treatments, special food of all kinds ( and I've spent thousands on that already -- lowcarb gourmet that delivers to your house, medifast, nutrisystem -- even being on Atkins finds you buying special stuff like ketostix and Protein bars and so forth). And that's not even getting into the cost of being fat -- diabetes medication, heart medicine, cpap machines, doctors visits, operations, blood sugar monitors. If I am going to spend money I would rather spend it on being thin instead of on being fat.

I had a chance to spend 20K in the states for a self-pay surgery and opted for Dr Aceves because in my opinion he's better or at least as good as any surgeon you could find in the states. You can dig a thousand layers deep on the internet and find almost no complaints whatsoever. I don't think Dr A does a lot of advertising -- I think he relies on people like me who can't get over how easy the whole thing was.

Anyway, I don't know your financial situation but my position is that in getting it you'll actually save money in the long run.

As for complications -- they happen. And given the consequences of being overweight, the misery of fixing a complication seems about equal to the misery of recovering from a stroke but not quite, in my opinion, equal to losing your toes or your eyesight to diabetes.

Hi everyone. I've been semi-obsessively lurking here for a month or so. This is my first post. Yes- I'm really going to go into debt to pay for having most of a major organ removed. Electively. AND- I'm going across the border to save a few bucks. Sounds crazy. I'm not ready to share that news with very many people in my life. They just wouldn't 'get it'. I'm so grateful to be joining a supportive, understanding community here at VST.

At first, I was hoping that Aetna would pay for my VSG. Their requirements are a BMI of 40 with a 2 year history, or BMI of 35-40 with comorbidities. I went through an application process and some testing with Dr. Kim, a well-regarded surgeon here in DFW. My BMI is right under 40 and I have high blood pressure. It turns out that Aetna is not impressed with my HBP since it is controlled with meds. Also, I must be the only person on these boards to have a sleep study and NOT be diagnosed with apnea. My only diagnosis- Very Loud Snoring. My husband could have told them that. The insurance coordinator was quite frank that I wouldn't qualify. I'm trying to be glad that I didn't have to go through the whole 3 month pre-qual games and then likely still get denied. Dr Kim's cash price is $12,300. That's a lot for me. So, after a brief period of mourning, I started researching the Mexico docs.

I've decied to go with Dr. G. Alvarez. The travel from DFW to Piedras Negras is not a big deal. His price will be $8900. He's not the cheapest, but I'm pretty leary of low bidders. There seems to be a lot of love for Dr Alvarez on these boards. I don't really feel like I'm stepping down in class after considering his experience and glowing reviews. If anyone disagrees and wants to talk me out of it before I send the deposit check, go right ahead.

VSG is tentatively scheduled for July 1st. I'm really excited about doing this but also pretty nervous.

Next week, I'm going on a cruise which will serve as a 7 day Last Supper for me. I'm only required to do a 7 day liquid diet pre-op but my liver will likely need a good scrubbing after a week of cruise food & drink so I'm gonna start early. I'll try to figure out how to add a ticker then.

I've already learned so much from the posters here. I hope I can pay it forward with my own pearls of wisdom (when I get some).

Good Luck with your surgery, you sound like you have it all "together" in your head. My Dr is in Houston with a 11,000.00 cash price but still I can see the savings by going to Mexico. Keep us posted!