Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Update from everyone

Hey April sleevers! How are you all doing?

I had my sleeve this past Tuesday morning at Hackensack University Medical Center in NJ - came home on Thursday late afternoon. Feeling pretty good. Most trouble I have had is my back hurting from the operating room table. Otherwise, just sore. Trying to keep up with my fluids.

Send an update!

April 18 sleeve and doing great - very little pain, going back to work Monday. Don't know how much I've lost. I had steroids in the hospital due to an adrenal condition and puffed up with IV fluids like a balloon. I was happy just to be at the same surgery weight on my one-week follow up, rather than heavier. The Fluid is off now, and my clothes are a little looser so I'll be surprised if I'm not down when I weigh myself Monday.

Able to come close on my fluids (64 oz, doc wants 72) and Protein (I'm consistently hitting above 60, but for some reason those final 10 to get to 70 still elude me) and am going on soft foods Monday. My surgeon wants them introduced gradually, so one meal a day for 3 or 4 days, then a second and so on.

Today I walked just over 3 miles to the store and back.

Monday was my surgery. Came home on wed. Am struggling to get Fluid in. I might get 16oz or 20 a day but that's all. I simply can't get any more in. what's the trick? Is it cuz I'm still swollen and healing? I don't really have much pain. Doctor only made two incisions. One near my belly button and the other to the left of that one. Gas is not really painful either, just loud...lol.

Im 2 days out and having problems getting my fluids in. I'm trying though. I find it painful if I have more than just a little sip. So far I haven't had anything but Water, juice and freezies since Tuesday.

to dream try drinking warm liquids like warm Water or decafe tea. Warm things may go down better. It will not last that long though you should be drinking pretty good within 2 weeks..

I've been finding warm stuff easier too - bought a few cans of plain chicken broth and have heating it in the microwave and sipping it. It's a lot easier than the flavored waters and feels like I'm really eating something not just drinking it. I've done a few sugar free ice pops too. I also had a lot of IV fluids in me so came home up about 8 lbs. but I can see the swelling going down in my ankles and fingers. I don't do Proteins yet for another ten days, I'm guessing. I'm just on Clear Liquids now. Let's keep each other going :)

Wow - you're on Proteins already - are they Protein drinks? Which ones?

April 18 sleeve and doing great - very little pain, going back to work Monday. Don't know how much I've lost. I had steroids in the hospital due to an adrenal condition and puffed up with IV fluids like a balloon. I was happy just to be at the same surgery weight on my one-week follow up, rather than heavier. The Fluid is off now, and my clothes are a little looser so I'll be surprised if I'm not down when I weigh myself Monday.

Able to come close on my fluids (64 oz, doc wants 72) and Protein (I'm consistently hitting above 60, but for some reason those final 10 to get to 70 still elude me) and am going on soft foods Monday. My surgeon wants them introduced gradually, so one meal a day for 3 or 4 days, then a second and so on.

Today I walked just over 3 miles to the store and back.

had some tea tonight... went down like a dream! Also just got my drain removed.... what a relief that was! Most of the pain is gone now!

I was sleeved on April 26 in Hamilton, NJ. Went home the following afternoon. I was on clear fluids through Monday, and have progressed to full liquids now. I still have a little swelling from the incision where the stomach portion was removed, but I'm moving around really well and feeling great!

For anyone who is struggling to get Protein in, see if you can find and try New whey. It's cheapest online, but it's sold at GNC and I think in some grocery stores. It's a liquid Protein that comes in fruit flavors - it's only 3.8 oz. and has 42 grams of protein! If the taste is too strong, you can cut it with Water. It makes it really easy to get your Protein requirement, even in the first few days when you can barely handle an oz. at a time.

I've been really enjoying graduating to the creamier Soups and getting back to Protein shakes this week. Next week...MASHED POTATOES!!!!! Huzzah!

I can't wait to graduate to cream Soups. I think we're allowed to have them in week 1-2? There's so many differing opinions on this it seems! I reallllly want something more than just Protein drinks, clear soups, yogurt and cottage cheese already.

I'm doing ok. I'm 1 week now post op. Very tired. First day back at work yesterday and I came home and crashed. I was just exhausted! I'm doing short days for the rest of the week so I can recuperate a little more before I do full days again

I was sleeved on April 12 and I feel like I am on track. I might be a bit slow in progressing on my foods as I am mostly still having broths and purees with a little bit of soft food thrown in. I feel really good though and now the challenge is just learning to eat with this new little tummy. I had six incisions (also had a hiatal hernia repair) which have all pretty much healed. I struggle to get in 800 calories a day and have to work to get in the fluids too. I love, love, love this sleeve though and would do it all again in a heartbeat!! :D

Glad you asked how the April Sleevers are doing as I have been wondering the same thing!

Hi to dream, Every docotr is different..I have to laugh because mine says strained creamed Soups are okay but that cottage cheese is not . so strange!!! Ask your doc, but cream Soup is thinner and more liquid than cottage cheese. :rolleyes:

You are all so lucky. I was sleeved last monday, 4/25, and won't be able to do full liquids til next wk. I'm ready for some yogurt or soup!! I just got back from urgent care...have a fungus down in my nether region which is from not enuff air. Doctor saidmost women get this under their breasts but I got it in the most painful place. Lucky me...ugh!!!

I was sleeved on the 11th, came home on the 13th and I am doing great. Heartburn is starting to get really bad, but I go back to the doctor this afternoon so I plan on discussing it then. I struggle to get the liquid in, but I love cottage cheese so I am doing pretty good with my Protein. I don't think I am losing as fast as everyone else, but as long as its coming off, I am happy :)

I'm doing pretty good in that I am losing steadily. I am now a little over 3 weeks post op and have not got sick yet! I am careful to eat slowly and chew my small portions really well. I had some pain in my left side last week and had to call the doctor's office. Nurse advised it sounded like muscle issues as they do a lot of work during surgery thru the left stomach side of your stomach. It is better, but still there. I need to do better on walking - I have a desk job and spend too much time sitting!! No regrets about surgery - I'm down 40 pounds and excited to be on my way to a healthier me!!