Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Months Out and Having Major Snacking Issues!

Oh dear, lately I have been having a raging case of snack fever. I'm one of those folks that never lost their hunger pains after surgery, but because my sleeve was so small the first few months after surgery, a little food would take me a long way. Now I find if I am not eating dense Protein numerous times throughout the day, the carb monster starts calling my name in a major way. I don't have too much of a problem avoiding sweets -- my major downfall is salty/crunchy carbs. I no longer eat potato chips but do love me some rice chips. My weakest times are afternoon (3 - 5 pm) and evening (8 pm). And frankly I have caved a lot and had salty/crunchy Snacks even though I know I shouldn't. ohmy.gif

My surgeon said no snacking between meals and only 3 meals a day but honestly that is just not working for me at all!

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what do you do about it? Have a protein snack or just suffer through the snack cravings until the next mealtime? When I do cave to snack cravings I will try to have the lowest calorie snacks possible (like pickles) but that seems to be the best coping strategy I can come up with.

Any suggestions, my fellow sleevers???

My nutritionist says eating at 3-4 hour intervals - I can't imagine not having Snacks - even if it is a Protein Bar or drink? I'm not sleeved yet, just going by the nutrition class for after.

Hi MeMeMeee (love that screen name btw!)

I think I am going to just start planning to have a snack during the afternoon and maybe that will make me feel less bad about cheating! It is weird how different surgeons have different guidelines! I was just in a support group meeting with mostly RNY patients and their surgeons said to eat every 2 hours ... that seems way too much to me, but on the other hand only eating three times a day is obviously not enough for me and my hungry sleeve!

Oh dear, lately I have been having a raging case of snack fever. I'm one of those folks that never lost their hunger pains after surgery, but because my sleeve was so small the first few months after surgery, a little food would take me a long way. Now I find if I am not eating dense Protein numerous times throughout the day, the carb monster starts calling my name in a major way. I don't have too much of a problem avoiding sweets -- my major downfall is salty/crunchy carbs. I no longer eat potato chips but do love me some rice chips. My weakest times are afternoon (3 - 5 pm) and evening (8 pm). And frankly I have caved a lot and had salty/crunchy Snacks even though I know I shouldn't. ohmy.gif

My surgeon said no snacking between meals and only 3 meals a day but honestly that is just not working for me at all!

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what do you do about it? Have a Protein snack or just suffer through the snack cravings until the next mealtime? When I do cave to snack cravings I will try to have the lowest calorie Snacks possible (like pickles) but that seems to be the best coping strategy I can come up with.

I snack too!! Honestly it soumds like you are making healthy snack choices with rice cakes. I have a few almonds,beef Jerky or 100 calorie snack. I figure if I exercise it all evens out. :)

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what do you do about it? Have a Protein snack or just suffer through the snack cravings until the next mealtime? When I do cave to snack cravings I will try to have the lowest calorie Snacks possible (like pickles) but that seems to be the best coping strategy I can come up with.

It seems strange Dr. A's office told you three meals a day and no snacking. I have an email from Gaby from about a week ago saying I should be eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. Maybe you should write or call to clarify. I write to them all the time, practically bomb their email box. They might have some good advice for you.

My suregon also says to eat three times a day... I am a little further out that you are and I am starting to find that I need to snack! I have made some silly food choices over the last week or due to having a house full of Easter eggs... I told the kids yesterday that they have to GO!! an sooooon, if they ain't here, I don't eat them! In saying that, I can only eat a bite or two... but still, in the losing phase I don't want to eat any sort of empty calories!

I am going back to basics and I am going to add a Protein snack, at least one, to see if that helps me stop the rubbish eating and also shift this damn slow losing.

Keep us posted on what your surgeon's office says. I am interested in the different advise and post op plans that are given.

I think one thing we have to remember, is that one size certainly does not fit all!! =]

It seems strange Dr. A's office told you three meals a day and no snacking. I have an email from Gaby from about a week ago saying I should be eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. Maybe you should write or call to clarify. I write to them all the time, practically bomb their email box. They might have some good advice for you.

Crosswinds, I will do that. I haven't emailed them at all for about two months, just have been going by the guidelines and instructions Dr. Aceves gave at time of surgery. Maybe the 3 meals guidance was only for the first few months after surgery ... or maybe Dr. A knew I am a grazer by nature and wanted to scare me into changing my ways (LOL)! Anyway, that is great advice and I will email them right away.

Coops & cwalker, thanks for your posts, and support! Now I am hoping the 3 meals a day guidance is meant for the lucky sleevers who lose their hunger pains after surgery and don't feel the need to eat more than 3 times a day (wish I was one, but not to be!).

I eat loads of Snacks, I just keep track and try to keep them mostly low carb. My doc recommended three meals and two snacks. Eating more often works pretty well for me.

I went through a snacking phase with popcorn. Unfortunately I can eat a ton of it at once. Also nuts, chips, whatever I wanted seemed safe at first since I wasn't gaining, but I sure wasn't losing either. I had to go pure Protein to get rid ot the carb cravings and now the lbs are coming off again. Now my snack is greek yogurt! You have to have SOME snack options so you can eat every few hours, not just 3 meals a day. If you're hungry, eat!

I am four months out too and I eat a snack in the afternoon. I am a teacher and I really have to eat something after school. Otherwise, I get home very hungry and this puts me in a likely situation to eat something "bad". Then I don't have room for for dinner (which leaves me hungry again late at night). I usually eat an apple, cheese stick, or Pork rinds. I like the pork rinds because they are crispy like a chip, but there are NO carbs. I have been doing this since about two months out and I am still losing at a good rate. My doctor allows us a snack, with the preference of it being mostly Protein.< /p>

I heard back from Dr. Aceves's office -- they said 3 larger meals a day or 5 -6 very small meals a day. What the heck, I am going to translate that into three smaller meals and two Snacks a day. Gaby also said keep total calories below 900 a day, which I've been really pretty good at doing even with the snacking, so I am going to officially consider it OK to have a snack or two as long as I budget my calories appropriately.

Becca -- I do like Pork rinds and have those from time to time, but feel bad about the calories ... but they do satisfy the salty crunch cravings I have and I think they are tasty! (A little too tasty, I really have to portion those babies out or it's easy to overdo it!)

I did a quick shop tonight and bought some salsa and bean dip (to have with a few baked tortilla chips, so I'm getting either some veg or some Protein in when I do cave to a crunchy carb craving). Luckily, I also love dill pickles and just bought a jar -- 5 calories per pickle, so if I get a powerful snack attack and don't want to take in extra calories that will be my go to snack.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support! I'm so glad I have this forum, it helps me SO much!!!! biggrin.gif

I heard back from Dr. Aceves's office -- they said 3 larger meals a day or 5 -6 very small meals a day. What the heck, I am going to translate that into three smaller meals and two Snacks a day. Gaby also said keep total calories below 900 a day, which I've been really pretty good at doing even with the snacking, so I am going to officially consider it OK to have a snack or two as long as I budget my calories appropriately.

Becca -- I do like Pork rinds and have those from time to time, but feel bad about the calories ... but they do satisfy the salty crunch cravings I have and I think they are tasty! (A little too tasty, I really have to portion those babies out or it's easy to overdo it!)

I did a quick shop tonight and bought some salsa and bean dip (to have with a few baked tortilla chips, so I'm getting either some veg or some Protein in when I do cave to a crunchy carb craving). Luckily, I also love dill pickles and just bought a jar -- 5 calories per pickle, so if I get a powerful snack attack and don't want to take in extra calories that will be my go to snack.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support! I'm so glad I have this forum, it helps me SO much!!!! biggrin.gif

I love sour pickles too, and Mt. Olive makes sugar free sweet pickles. Just watch the salt, it can make you retain Water.... :^(