Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self pay sleeve with 36 BMI no comorbidities

Hi all, will a US doctor perform a sleeve on me if I self pay, but am under 40 BMI and have no comorbidites? I'm healthy, but 90-100 lbs overweight. Just wondering if the FDA regulates doctors as to whom they can perform the surgery on. Thanks for any thoughts. Lisa

Hi all, will a US doctor perform a sleeve on me if I self pay, but am under 40 BMI and have no comorbidites? I'm healthy, but 90-100 lbs overweight. Just wondering if the FDA regulates doctors as to whom they can perform the surgery on. Thanks for any thoughts. Lisa

I am trying to picture how you can be 100 lbs overweight but 36bmi. What are your particulars?

Lisa, I got sleeved yesterday in Mexico, but I did go see a US surgeon first. I was 36.5 BMI, weighed 240, only comorbidity was very mild GERD. He was going to do my surgery until he realized that self-pay was going to be very high at his hospital (like over 20K). On top of that, he hadn't done many sleeves and was really pushing the RNY. Anyway, all that to say that YES, you would likely be able to get it done. You also should be able to find that out if your doctor of choice does free seminars like so many do these days.

Good luck! Jill

I think there are several people at this site who have had the sleeve with a BMI lower than 40. My BMI is 39. From what I have read most surgeons will perform the sleeve on patients with a BMI over 31 but I'm sure it depends on the surgeon. Good Luck!

My BMI is 36.3 and I am 218 lbs at 5'5

I had my Sleeve 2 days ago with Dr Almanza in Tijuana, MX

It depends where you are planning on having the procedure. In the US there is some 'red tape' to overcome that is not always a reflection on your health. In Mexico and other parts of the world the most important factors are comorbidities and patient overall health.

You might find a US doc to do it, but you will have to do some searching and a lot of paying. Check Florida and Texas, they might be good options.

Best,

Dr. JSA

Lisa: Yes, and YES.... there are a number of excellent doctors in the US who can, and Will perform your VSG as a self-pay. The first I can think of is in Salt Lake City, Dr. Coltam in Salt Lake City, and there are man more than him.

There is also Mexico... and other countries, too.... Europe, and other places.

My VSG was done by Dr. Alfons Pomp, at NY Presbyterian Hospital in New York City... BUT, I did have insurance coverage.

My BMI was 36.... now about 28! Had my surgery at the end of the year.

Good luck to you!

Griselda, I'm 5'9", 245 lbs and my healthy weight should be between 135 - 165. So, I'm anywhere between 80 - 110 lbs overweight. Thanks for the info everyone! Lisa

yes! I'm a self payer with a BMI of 37. I qualified for surgery without any problems. Didn't have to show any medical documentation or anything like that., Having my surgery in Mississippi...

Thanks, I don't know why in my mind, I am picturing that 100 pounds would always equal over 40, now I see the numbers and what others have posted and it makes sense. Good luck, I bet you will be able to find someone.

It ticks me off that I'm not over 40 BMI with all this fat! If I was Kaiser would pay for my sugery!

Hi Lisa;

Yes, yes and yes. A lot of good surgeons will do surgery with a lower BMI. Mine was just above 33 and we are about the same height. I lost all my weight in less than 6 months by following my surgeons diet to the letter almost without exception. I was a self payer and it was worth every penny here in the US. I was close to home having excellent follow up, my results were nothing short of a miracle (see my b4 and after photos under VSG success stories), I see others scars and cringe since I had minimal scarring, no drain, no catheder, no pain pump, needed no pain meds except to sleep one night and had VSG as an outpatient surgery. So you can pay less outside US, but there is a cost which will make me unpopular on this site.

Having Kaiser - you need to send a private message to Sleeve 4 me and talk to her. She had a BMI of under 40 and Kaiser in SoCal paid for her surgery. Wishing you the best of luck!

I went and checked my blood pressure today and it was way up! Not good! I've had blood pressure spikes off and on the past few years but have never been officially diagnosed. But, I've made an appointment with my doc tomorrow to see if this could possibly increase my chances of getting the surgery approved through kaiser...