Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 2 days ago

Sleeved April 26, came home around 10:30 pm on the 27th.

Surgery was suppose to be 11:30 am, but the first surgery ran over a bit so I didn't get in til 2. stayed in recovery til 8:30pm. Pain was excruciating. At that point i didn't know whether it was the gas pains, abdominal pains or a combo of both. Anyhow, I got to my room and slept on and off in increments of 30 minutes. Time was just not on my side. Next morning I had my barium swallow which wasn't as bad as I thought; I was so thirsty I could probably drink urine and be ok with it biggrin.gif No leaks, so i started my Water. took me a few hours to drink a cup. by the time my broth/apple juice came I was having severe chest pains. Nurses/docs were concerned, ran an EKG, drew blood etc. by the time results came it moved all the way to my neck/shoulders....oooh the infamous gas pains. gas pains are a killer! not to mention the doctor said the pain/discomfort can also come from the irritated diaphragm (which i feel it more now).

not to mention i was peeing maybe every hour at the hospital due to the IV's. by the time i got back to my chair i had to get back up again lol. was annoying but the extra walking helped. was so relieved to be going home. after getting dressed and moving much more, i threw up a bit, all the dried blood/co2 bubbling came up. the vomiting helped oddly, it happened again when i came home after the car ride (lots of bumps, i live 45 mins away from hospital). i was so pooped when i got home i fell asleep in my glasses and cpap biggrin.gif. woke up 45 mins later to pee, sip and walk.

i'm on a 3 day clear liquid diet and i can have 100% apple juice, now i LOVE apple juice. but the first sip was blink.gif it tastes so different! a little bland but it was delicious still because i added some ice cubes. only allowed room temp. water at the hospital.

Now I know I may be complaining a bit, but i've had many surgeries and injuries in my short life and this is by far the worst. I still can't believe that I have a sleeve either. It's all so surreal. I'm being extra careful as to how many times I sip. Still not use to sipping. I'm not hungry, mouth/throat still a bit irritated from tubing but overall ok. Only thing I wish i could do is to sleep more, but that's not happening. not to mention I'm having construction being done on my home while i recover (up until friday) so i won't get much rest.

I can definitely see how this is going to be a major life change. didn't really realize it before the surgery, but now I see. It's quite different for me on the other side. But still excited. Thanks to everyone who posted before me and gave words of hope, faith and encouragement with their stories. I really couldn't have done it w/o this site. I hope that other pre-oppers learn a ton while here.

Sleeved April 26, came home around 10:30 pm on the 27th.

Surgery was suppose to be 11:30 am, but the first surgery ran over a bit so I didn't get in til 2. stayed in recovery til 8:30pm. Pain was excruciating. At that point i didn't know whether it was the gas pains, abdominal pains or a combo of both. Anyhow, I got to my room and slept on and off in increments of 30 minutes. Time was just not on my side. Next morning I had my barium swallow which wasn't as bad as I thought; I was so thirsty I could probably drink urine and be ok with it biggrin.gif No leaks, so i started my Water. took me a few hours to drink a cup. by the time my broth/apple juice came I was having severe chest pains. Nurses/docs were concerned, ran an EKG, drew blood etc. by the time results came it moved all the way to my neck/shoulders....oooh the infamous gas pains. gas pains are a killer! not to mention the doctor said the pain/discomfort can also come from the irritated diaphragm (which i feel it more now).

not to mention i was peeing maybe every hour at the hospital due to the IV's. by the time i got back to my chair i had to get back up again lol. was annoying but the extra walking helped. was so relieved to be going home. after getting dressed and moving much more, i threw up a bit, all the dried blood/co2 bubbling came up. the vomiting helped oddly, it happened again when i came home after the car ride (lots of bumps, i live 45 mins away from hospital). i was so pooped when i got home i fell asleep in my glasses and cpap biggrin.gif. woke up 45 mins later to pee, sip and walk.

i'm on a 3 day clear liquid diet and i can have 100% apple juice, now i LOVE apple juice. but the first sip was blink.gif it tastes so different! a little bland but it was delicious still because i added some ice cubes. only allowed room temp. Water at the hospital.

Now I know I may be complaining a bit, but i've had many surgeries and injuries in my short life and this is by far the worst. I still can't believe that I have a sleeve either. It's all so surreal. I'm being extra careful as to how many times I sip. Still not use to sipping. I'm not hungry, mouth/throat still a bit irritated from tubing but overall ok. Only thing I wish i could do is to sleep more, but that's not happening. not to mention I'm having construction being done on my home while i recover (up until friday) so i won't get much rest.

I can definitely see how this is going to be a major life change. didn't really realize it before the surgery, but now I see. It's quite different for me on the other side. But still excited. Thanks to everyone who posted before me and gave words of hope, faith and encouragement with their stories. I really couldn't have done it w/o this site. I hope that other pre-oppers learn a ton while here.

Great post, my surgery is the 25th, trying to get prepared as possible. You mentioned your throat and mouth was sore from the tubing, was the tubing done while you were under or did they put it in or take it out while you were awake? This is my first surgery of any kind, getting a little anxious.

In the usual manner, you will be asleep when the anesthesiologist puts the breathing tube down your throat, and it will be out by the time you awake. Only if something goes very unexpected and you end up in an intensive care unit will the tube be left in, and that is pretty rare for this surgery.

I was also sleeved on the 26th! I was lucky though - I was the first scheduled surgery so I went in at 7:30am. It was pretty rough the first few hours out, but by mid-afternoon I was feeling better and off morphine. I didn't walk until around 9:30pm, and had my GI x-ray yesterday morning. That contrast is DISGUSTING!!! I think I would've preferred urine lol

I finally got my first fluids around 1pm yesterday...chicken broth never tasted so good! Over the course of about three hours I had maybe 2.5 oz. of the broth and maybe an ounce of orange Jello. I got released around 4pm.

Last night at home was interesting...sore getting up and down but moving around ok, but my sleep was constantly disrupted because I was getting up to pee so much! Probably from all the IV fluids working their way out of my system...

Hang in there! I'm adjusting to the sipping too. Other people have done it, and we can too!!!

I was also sleeved on the 26th! I was lucky though - I was the first scheduled surgery so I went in at 7:30am. It was pretty rough the first few hours out, but by mid-afternoon I was feeling better and off morphine. I didn't walk until around 9:30pm, and had my GI x-ray yesterday morning. That contrast is DISGUSTING!!! I think I would've preferred urine lol

I finally got my first fluids around 1pm yesterday...chicken broth never tasted so good! Over the course of about three hours I had maybe 2.5 oz. of the broth and maybe an ounce of orange Jello. I got released around 4pm.

Last night at home was interesting...sore getting up and down but moving around ok, but my sleep was constantly disrupted because I was getting up to pee so much! Probably from all the IV fluids working their way out of my system...

Hang in there! I'm adjusting to the sipping too. Other people have done it, and we can too!!!

totally!

I was sleeved on 4/11 and it does get better each day!

Great post, my surgery is the 25th, trying to get prepared as possible. You mentioned your throat and mouth was sore from the tubing, was the tubing done while you were under or did they put it in or take it out while you were awake? This is my first surgery of any kind, getting a little anxious.

the tubing was put in while i was under. the things i remember before going under was being wheeled to the Operating room, scooting to the operating table and then having the mask on. i was then out like a light. when i came to, i could hear the anesthesiologist tell me to cough so he could take the tube out, but i didn't feel anything. when i had a prior surgery, i remember them leaving it in til i was fully "awake" according to them, and when they pulled it out, i still didn't feel anything. so i guess i'm blessed lol. but the anesthesia is still in your system, so you won't feel it either i'm sure. if that's the least of your worries, then i know you'll come out a-ok! biggrin.gif good luck dear

haha, thanks for your post. maked me feel better. and indeed, we can do this wink.gif

Wow, that does sound aweful and scary!

You went home the next day??

My experience was totally different. My surgery was the first of the day, IV and gas in the OR, woke up in recovery already with a morphine pump button in my hand and a nurse right there reminding me to breathe because I was having trouble remembering to do that (anesthesia kicked my bootay) I slept the majority of the first 24hours and when I wasn't asleep someone was always checking in on me making sure I was comfortable. I did NOT have to do any barium swallow as my Dr. checks for leaks before closing his patients up by filling the sleeve with blue liquid. The next morning after my JP Drain contents were analyzed for amalayse Fluid (saliva and digestive juices) I was cleared to sip Water. I was up walking around the next day as well. The Catheter was removed that afternoon as well once I was drinking Water well. I went home the 2nd day after surgery after not barfling up 2 meals and being disconnected from all IV's and still having good urine output.

I had my surgery yesterday and thankfully feel great. I was asleep before they rolled me down to OR after I got my versed, I guess it is? Had the most pain when I first awakened back in the room, but when I told them I was in pain they put something in my IV right away and it worked quickly. Today I have some gas pains and the incision where they removed my (apparently) huge stomach is sore. A hundred times easier recovery than a c-section, I think. Granted, my OB wasn't nearly as free with the drugs as this Mexican doctor! Lol

hope you're feeling better soon!!

I was sleeved the 26th also, first case of the day, so I was on the table at 7:30. I think in recovery by 10, and not to my room till 4:00pm. That sucked! Laying on that stretcher for that long. I ended up with bad gas pains in my chest and back area. But had zero pain from the surgical sites. Walked and sipped through the night, in the am. Went for my swallow, beyond disgusting! It was fine, got back to the room to get ready to go home and started vomiting. A lot! So they restarted my IV and there I sat til they sent me home yesterday. I feel great but it's hard to get all those fluids in. And I am with you any bit of information good or bad is helpful, because everyone has different experiences. Good luck on continued success.

Wow, that does sound aweful and scary!

You went home the next day??

My experience was totally different. My surgery was the first of the day, IV and gas in the OR, woke up in recovery already with a morphine pump button in my hand and a nurse right there reminding me to breathe because I was having trouble remembering to do that (anesthesia kicked my bootay) I slept the majority of the first 24hours and when I wasn't asleep someone was always checking in on me making sure I was comfortable. I did NOT have to do any barium swallow as my Dr. checks for leaks before closing his patients up by filling the sleeve with blue liquid. The next morning after my JP Drain contents were analyzed for amalayse Fluid (saliva and digestive juices) I was cleared to sip Water. I was up walking around the next day as well. The Catheter was removed that afternoon as well once I was drinking Water well. I went home the 2nd day after surgery after not barfling up 2 meals and being disconnected from all IV's and still having good urine output.

yep, went home the next day. my blood work was fine, no leaks, and no nausea so they said i could

btw, i feel much better now that it's 3 days post op. TMI but I've finally had a few bowel movements and oh are they heavenly lol. passing gas out the other end helps with gas pains as well. now i'm having muscular pain from sleeping, i'm still not comfortable. I sleep on my back, left or right side, but only for about 2 hours at a time. I have some nausea when i take my Vitamins, just threw them back up. called the surgeons office and left a message. but now i can see that it does get better! I'm quite excited now. will be weird introducing new foods in the next few weeks. thanks everyone smile.gif

I was sleeved on the 27th. Still have my drain in and i believe most of the pain is coming from that. Its been pretty rough. I don't think I was fully prepared for the amount of pain the gas gives you. It was just awful. I was moving around alot, taking walks, gas-x strips, hubby clapping me on the back... still took over 24 hours to release all that gas. Feeling better today but still a long way to go.

Sleeved this past Monday 4/25 and was fortunate to not have had gas pains as bad as others on here. I'd already had my gallbladder out, tho, so I think that's why i didn't think the gas was that bad. I was extremely excited to pass gas on Wednesday morning as were all the nurses! I was up doing 5-10 laps per walk and everybody kept saying, "you need to go home!". After my phosphorus was replaced via IV, I was sent home. I've been sipping, slurping, gassing, and sassing (LOL!) since I've been home. I've even driven myself around to run some errands.