Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High Protein and Low Carb

Isn't everyone doing another version of Atkins? I'm not sure where to put this, so I put it here in the pre-op pages. Sorry if I've asked this already, but isn't everyone kinda doing the same thing? Very low calories, low carb and moderate to high Protein? I was going to actually try this way of eating (totally fell off the wagon due to traveling and Easter) but then I read somewhere that doing low calorie diets should be watched over by a physician because it can be dangerous. Isn't being fat dangerous? Why can't I do a liquid diet (like the pre-ops do) for two weeks and then cut my calories to 800 a day and make it high protein low carb? Yeah, I figure I'll starve but would I lose the same amount of weight as the post ops do? Would I lose it as fast? Would I keel over dead but need a smaller coffin? These are the things going through my head right now...aren't you glad you're not in my head? LOL

Renee`

You can try, but I'm gonna bet $1000 that you are NOT going to be able to do 2 weeks of liquids and then a month of 800 calories/day pre-op. If you could handle it - sure, you'd probably lose the same amount of weight as someone post-op (although I was closer to 300-600 calories the first month post-op), but realistically, the hunger will drive you nuts and you'll binge. The difference is that post-op, you'll have hardly any hunger and get full on these 800 calories.

I can't believe that some of these dr.'s don't give pre-op diets to follow, it blows my mind.

i have kaiser and they truely OVEREDUCATE you. i have been doing THEIR pre-op diet since i started the bariatric program back in october and have lost 60lbs!!

it is a low carb, low fat, high Protein diet. i find it very well balanced and very easy to follow!! please inbox me your email and i will be happy to scan it to you. it really works if you follow it and don't cheat!!

i am not saying that i have not eatin' things i wasn't suppose to, but i pretty much stick to the rules!!

You can do it!

Good luck to you!!

Kelly :D

I can't believe that some of these dr.'s don't give pre-op diets to follow, it blows my mind.

i have kaiser and they truely OVEREDUCATE you. i have been doing THEIR pre-op diet since i started the bariatric program back in october and have lost 60lbs!!

it is a low carb, low fat, high Protein diet. i find it very well balanced and very easy to follow!! please inbox me your email and i will be happy to scan it to you. it really works if you follow it and don't cheat!!

i am not saying that i have not eatin' things i wasn't suppose to, but i pretty much stick to the rules!!

You can do it!

Good luck to you!!

I totally agree with you Kelly. The Kaiser Pre-op meal plan really set me up for success. Through the four months prior to surgery, i learned how to eat and what to eat so once I was let loose post surgery, there was no question and it was relatively easy to stick to. I had the sleeve on January 6 of this year and I'm down 122 pounds--fourty of those pounds were lost on the Pre-op meal plan. It has become my way of life and I am thankful for what it taught me.

David

Good Job David!! That is great to hear.

I know that Kaiser paitents have all of the tools to be successful. They truely set you up for it. They give you all of the information that you need and if you use it, you will WIN!! I am excited for my surgery on May 9th and know I will have great results too!

That is why when I see someone post that they do not know what Vitamin to take or what food to eat, I am blown away. I have to wonder, WHO IS THEIR DR??? It makes me crazy!!

Kelly

My doc required a 2 week pre-op diet that was low carb (30 gms a day) and high Protein. I was very surprised to see how my carb craving basically went away after 3 days. I wasn't nearly as hungry as I had been before. Realistically though I don't think I could have maintained that diet for too long without the help of the sleeve.

Now I am blessed to not be hungry at all and can stay pretty low carb without any feeling of denial. In fact, in my office at work RIGHT now (where I am goofing off and not working!) are 2 big boxes of donuts because it is Administrative Professionals Day. Yep...we feed our Administrative Assistants CRAP as a thank for their hard work. :blink: My office is large with a table so it ends up being the place we set up food when we have little celebrations and normally I would have had one or more of the donuts by now. I was worried about how that would affect me when I came back to work from surgery. But I haven't even looked at the donuts, cared about them or been bothered by them at all. In fact, I brought 48 of the little egg & cheese "bites" mini muffins from "The World According to Eggface" so we would have a least one low carb option and they are almost gone now.

Good Job David!! That is great to hear.

I know that Kaiser paitents have all of the tools to be successful. They truely set you up for it. They give you all of the information that you need and if you use it, you will WIN!! I am excited for my surgery on May 9th and know I will have great results too!

That is why when I see someone post that they do not know what Vitamin to take or what food to eat, I am blown away. I have to wonder, WHO IS THEIR DR??? It makes me crazy!!

Kelly

TOTALLY!!!

why would u do surgery with someone who doesnt even tell you what foods to eat when blink.gif

i knew that info before my actual surgery...I ask for suggestions...but it seems some ppl are totally clueless and unequipped

You can do it!

Good luck to you!!

Hiya Kelly,

I know I am almost 10mths post op... but over the last week I have really been struggling with 'fat mind games'! I was interested in your comment about being over educated and your excellent pre op diet. Would you be prepared to share it with me... I didn't have any pre op diet requirements or plan ( I am self pay in the UK!).

Cheers Coops =]

I start my pre-op diet on May 28 and would love to have the info that you guys have as to what I should eat. Dprater1984@yahoo.com is my email address...Thnx!!

Isn't everyone doing another version of Atkins? I'm not sure where to put this, so I put it here in the pre-op pages. Sorry if I've asked this already, but isn't everyone kinda doing the same thing? Very low calories, low carb and moderate to high Protein? I was going to actually try this way of eating (totally fell off the wagon due to traveling and Easter) but then I read somewhere that doing low calorie diets should be watched over by a physician because it can be dangerous. Isn't being fat dangerous? Why can't I do a liquid diet (like the pre-ops do) for two weeks and then cut my calories to 800 a day and make it high Protein low carb? Yeah, I figure I'll starve but would I lose the same amount of weight as the post ops do? Would I lose it as fast? Would I keel over dead but need a smaller coffin? These are the things going through my head right now...aren't you glad you're not in my head? LOL

Renee`

I think you got a good answer- yes of course we could all do the diet but I am on pre-op right now and I am HUNGRY- yes, I would follow it for a while, and may lose a lot- 40, even 50 pounds but I KNOW I would not stick to it long enough to lose all the weight I want to lose, and I would gain it back plus probably some more.

We get to this point where we do something like this that is extreme, that is not easy, that changes our lives forever because we know that will not work for us any more.

During this two weeks of liquids people kept asking me why I don't just keep going- I know better than to even try to explain. I know the little girl inside of me was waiting to be off this diet and to eat for all the old emotional reasons- well she is going to have a tiny tummy now the help the rational me keep her in check! And that's that.

You have to look at your own life and see if you could make it work without the sleeve. Only you know.

I wouldn't make it. I'm planning my trip to mexico as we speak. My best friend (Asia Carrera) adopted me as her sister years ago and has set up a donation site for me so with her help, I'll be able to get my surgery. I'm blogging all about it, the good, the bad, the ugly and eventually the ugly side of people because that always comes doesn't it? Thanks for your reply and your honesty. I wish you luck and good health in your journey.

Renee`

i just inboxed you!

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Do you think you could email me the pre-op diet instructions also? My email is mariemaye1126@msn.com. Thanks so much!