Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are some "Sleeve-Friendly" restaurants?

I have a family that loves to eat out at least 2 times a week. I have went out with them and ordered Soup or just unsweetened tea if I was not hungry and wanted to ask my fellow sleevers what are some good places to eat at that allows us to eat from the kid's menu, has great options on the menu if not, and etc...

TGI Friday's has Shrimp Key West. Love it. Perfect portion. comes with 2 skewers of shrimp and steamed broccoli. Only entree that I don't need a doggie bag :):D

I have yet to find one single restaurant's kid's menu worthy to put in my body. It's typically fried, fat filled junk food that kids love. Not the best option for me.

For me, I always order off the appetizer menu, or order items a la carte. Just a plain chicken breast with some sort of dressing. TGI Fridays, Chilis, Applebees, and all of our local places around here are beyond accommodating and I have NOT ever disclosed that I had 80% of my stomach removed so I would be forced to put the fork down. Sometimes, I share an adult entree with my 12 yr old son, and that makes things super easy. We typically order a steak with 2 sides, he loved mashed potatoes and I get a green veggie, or mac-n-cheese. Ribs are always super easy to eat. My husband and I frequent steak houses, and most will allow you to order a half rack of ribs with an entree for a lesser fee, and that's what we do a lot of the time. My husband will order a big prime rib dinner with 2 sides, and side salad, I eat half the salad, and then we order half rack of ribs on the side. I eat the ribs, and a few bites of his veggies/sides. Of course, earlier out, I would stick to a la carte items, and bring home leftovers for additional meals.

We generally do the sharing thing. Or if we are eating chinese, I order an appetizer order of chicken wings. The place we go does not fry them, so I feel pretty good about them. I am only 14 weeks out, so still can only eat like 2 wings and am stuffed. Have ordered a steak salad a couple of times or at Applebee's the Weight Watchers steak tips with broccoli.

I've had a lot of success with Tapas restaurants. Tapas restaurants are a Spanish tradition where you get "small plates" of food that you share with friends or family. It's a great way to get some variety without a lot of food. A lot of times the food is grilled, and there's a great sampling of veggie and meat choices. Also, they often serve a lot of seafood, which is high in Protein and typically low in fat. YUMS!

If you're in the mood for burgers, Red Robin is perfect. You can order your burger "low carb", and they bring it out on lettuce and all the trimmings on the side. Instead of fries, you can get fruit. Enjoy!

Ruby Tuesday's had this thing called Petite plates... I couldn't finish the whole plate.. but it was delish!

A lot of restaurants Entrees are not only too big, they are like 4 times the size they need to be. A few times the wife and I split an entree, take the other half home and then have a meal each AGAIN off the same entree.

One guy I know who both he and his wife had bands would order an entree and a to-go box at the same time. They would split the entree before even starting to eat, box one half and then split the remaining half in half and each have one of the remaining quarters fr a meal. The thought is "out of sight out of mind" and by getting half the food right into a to-go box it eliminates and temptation to eat a bit more.

I have most all the places here in NC you mentioned except aTapas style place that I know of. But I now know how to better handle hubby wanting to go out. I was telling him how it is such a waste but didn't think about sharing off of his plate (if allowed). That will be my best bet right now since I am only able to eat a couple bites still. Thx again for the help everyone!

I am still trying to learn the ins and outs as I go and he is getting anxious to go out and about so thought I would ask before I tried.

I am only 6 weeks out today and my FAVORITE place to go is Yard House. I order the lettuce wraps. I have yet to eat the lettuce, but the filler has been perfect for me. It is chicken, tofu, pine nuts and delicious! Then I put a peanut sauce on it. It is all cut up in teeny tiny pieces and has been easy for me to eat during my mushies stage. I have been there a million times and I don't share it! lol The reason is, I take a few bites of it, get full and eat it for lunches the next 3 days. That way I have something to take to work. I don't know why, but it has just really hit the spot for me and is my favorite thing right now. Very high in Protein. The calories are high, but it includes parts I don't eat, like a couple of their other sauces and the shell that it is in. I skip all that! Try it! :)

I usually pick either an appetizer or me and my girlfriend or my son share an entree. I can't do both, though. I still have a hard time remembering not order a beverage with my food. I never get to drink it. Actually, I went to El Salto the other day with my son. I don't like Mexican food, but it was his pick. I ordered 1 chicken Enchilada. Since I can't eat the shell, I just ate the chicken out of it. It was about 3.5 oz of chicken. I was able to eat almost all of it. But, I realized midway that the sauce they used was pretty thick - I guess it was thickened with corn starch or flour, so it made me really full, really fast. I actually had to throw up while in the resturant to relieve some of the pressure. I felt much better after that. Had it not been for the sauce, I think that would have been the perfect portion of food.

I have hubby just add onto his food order. If we got to redlobster he will add the lobster tail or shrimp. If we go to buddy's bbq I order just the pulled pork on the side or a buddy pack. At any resturant I can order burgers and take off the bun. Sometimes at buffetts I will order a to go buffett adn fill up my box with sleeve friendly food and just eat out of it for a few days. I order appitizers or split an adult plate with the kids. At Chilis I get the fajitas and have food for another meal. At chick-fil-a I order just a 2 piece of chicken tenders. I love to have salad at Mcallisters or panera and Soup is always yummy!

Wow, good ideas! I definitely want to keep this topic for later.

Outback has a very yummy steak kids meal. Get it with veggies on the side and its low everything. Back when I started Weight Watchers (the first time) that was our staple for going out, or even ording to go. Most other places have good appetizers or Soup to eat. Good luck!

I have heard from people at my support group meetings that you can go to Ci Ci's pizza and order a crustless pizza. I'm only 2 weeks out so I haven't tried it yet, but look forward to it!