Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone know if there is a forum for people who are not being successful with their VSG? I can't find one and I desperately need to talk to someone else who may be experiencing what I am. Thank you.

There's a "Struggling Sleevers" area further down the VST front page; it's under "VSG Complications Support Group". Good luck, I hope you find the answers that will help you.

Did you check on obesity help . com? Maybe you might find someone on this forum who is experiencing what you are if you feel comfortable to discuss it openly. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Does anyone know if there is a forum for people who are not being successful with their VSG? I can't find one and I desperately need to talk to someone else who may be experiencing what I am. Thank you.

I don't know about any forums, but I am willing to be a friend and help out if you need a sympathetic and helpful ear. PM me if you'd like to talk.

If I can help with any medical advice, please let me know! Best of luck...

Dr. JSA

Okay - so how do I change my old bad habits? I still THINK I am hungry, I still want to eat something about ever y3 hrs. I can eat approximately 1 1/2 cups of food at a time and I can eat ANYTHING. Everthing goes down. I sometimes feel a little pain but I never throw up. My weight fluctuates between 296 - 305. I lose, I gain. I lose, I gain. So frustrated I'm not sure I even want to try anymore. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

First off, you are only 5 months post surgery. You have to remember that this is not a diet this is a change in life style. The moment you woke up from the anesthesia was the first day of the new you. That 'new you' has to learn how to do many things differently. Among them, is your diet. It sounds to me like you do some compulsive eating. If this is the point, I recommend seeing a counselor, a support group, or a psychologist. I recommend hypnotherapy to many of my patients. As a matter of fact, some of our patients are seen by the psychologist before the surgery. We have found that it serves patients well. After surgery, they also receive an 'induction' that seems to relieve patients of a lot of anxiety.

Some of these patients seek hypnotherapy once they return to the US to relieve compulsive eating. If you want I can talk to our psychologist to see if she recommends somebody in your area. Meanwhile, a support group is KEY. In addition STAY on this forum...there are many empathetic people willing to help out. USE this tool.

I will get back to you on this one.

Stay strong,

Dr. JSA

I second the being in a support group or seeing someone to help with the changes as well as HERE! I tell myself EVERYDAY that I did not go through all of this to not lose the weight and that helps me to remember when I try to put something to my lips! I have recently gone back to work and it's been a BIG adjustment for me. I am commuting 1 1/2 hour each way and I'm still "learning" so there is A LOT of down time so I want to snack! First thing I learned, if I don't have it with me, I can't eat it! Keep all those snacky foods away so you can't grab them! Second, Protein PORTEIN PROTEIN! I am honestly sick of all this Protein but I know it works! Take yesterday for example (I was in breifings all day and traveling) I had a Protein Bar for Breakfast, a cheeseburger patty (ony the meat and cheese) for lunch and then some beef Jerky on the ride home and then eggs for dinner! ALL I ate was full protein yesterday and I felt FULL all day long. Are you still doing Protein shakes? I still have one for Breakfast everyday! The third one is Exercise! What have you been doing? I have found that running is actually really good for me and I have started doing races! Also when I'm getting tired of running I am doing classes like Zumba or Step or a Spin Class! Water classes or just swimming is a Great option!

If you want to talk more "off line" shoot me a PM or email me @ dawn.labay@gmail.com/hotmail.com since we were sleeved on the same day I really want to help you anyway I can!!! ((HUGS))

I'm not sure if I have much to offer that will help you, so I do send my best wishes your way and to mbridgeman.

I noticed that you said you sometimes feel pain when you eat even though you don't throw up. It sounds like you might be ignoring your full signals. I think it's great that you can eat anything - but that doesn't mean you have to eat anything ALL the time. Schedule some treats into your weekly meal plan and then focus on Proteins and some healthy veggies the rest of the time. It's not as frustrating when you know you'll be able to have a cookie or small slice of cake soon.

Most importantly, STOP eating when you feel that pain twinge. Get up and put the remaining food out of sight for at least 10 minutes when you get that twinge. You'll start to realize that once you've moved on to the next activity, you won't think about the food as much as you do when it's still in your face. This has been very helpful to me - especially when I have something really yummy that my mind keeps telling me I have to eat more of but my stomach really isn't interested.

This whole deal is definitely a work in progress. You still have the tool you need to be successful so don't give up on yourself. Take it a day at a time and try to incorporate some positive habits while not focusing so much on the negative. Like Dawn said, a Protein shake for breakfast every day works for me. Eating every three hours is fine if it's a healthy Protein choice most of the time.

Good luck with your journey.

I'm not sure if I have much to offer that will help you, so I do send my best wishes your way and to mbridgeman.

I noticed that you said you sometimes feel pain when you eat even though you don't throw up. It sounds like you might be ignoring your full signals. I think it's great that you can eat anything - but that doesn't mean you have to eat anything ALL the time. Schedule some treats into your weekly meal plan and then focus on Proteins and some healthy veggies the rest of the time. It's not as frustrating when you know you'll be able to have a cookie or small slice of cake soon.

Most importantly, STOP eating when you feel that pain twinge. Get up and put the remaining food out of sight for at least 10 minutes when you get that twinge. You'll start to realize that once you've moved on to the next activity, you won't think about the food as much as you do when it's still in your face. This has been very helpful to me - especially when I have something really yummy that my mind keeps telling me I have to eat more of but my stomach really isn't interested.

This whole deal is definitely a work in progress. You still have the tool you need to be successful so don't give up on yourself. Take it a day at a time and try to incorporate some positive habits while not focusing so much on the negative. Like Dawn said, a Protein shake for breakfast every day works for me. Eating every three hours is fine if it's a healthy Protein choice most of the time.

Good luck with your journey.

Mary,

I have to say, you speak a lot of sense ... your post is very insightful and thoughtful and full of fantastic advise... my mind and tummy are still out of synch at 9 1/2 mths out... and I love the idea of moving away from the food. I have just started to do this sort of thing and it is really helping me...

Great advice!!

cbchebert,

I don't think you're a failure, you just need to learn how to work this tool you have like the rest of us. We ALL had to and continue to learn how our bodies react and respond to our eating and exercising. I still eat every 2.5 to 3 hours, I just make sure I'm eating around 150-200 calories each time instead of 300-400 calories every couple of hours. When I really need a snack, I try nuts, cheese, or an Adkins Protein Bar (or half of one). This helps because if I still "think" I'm hungry, I know I'll be eating again soon. You can also try to work in some 100 calorie snack packs. I know there is an oreos one that is great. It doesn't give you any nutritional value, but it is a treat if you've been eating all Protein all day. Please don't give up. You haven't come all this way and lost 50 pounds to go backward. We are all here to help and listen.