Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I am at the end of the line here. I am currently at the heaviest I have ever been. I am serious about having surgery and have an appointment on the 29th of this month at a nearby center. It is a group type meeting and I guess I would make an appointment for a consultation afterwards. My sister and bil are doing the lap band, my bil who is an md in the army is adamant about not doing gastric sleeve. What are the differences really? Is gastric sleeve really that more risky? In the booklet they have sent me it looks like the risks and benefits are pretty much the same. I like the gastric sleeve because it seems the weight loss is quicker. Does anyone want to talk about what they did, what to expect and how much they lost?

Your BIL may be against the sleeve because it is permanent. 80% of your stomach comes out and hits the bucket. No going back, no redos, no second chances. To me that was a plus! I knew I couldn't back out. The sleeve does not create malabsorption problems, does not introduce any foreign body into you (except the staples.) It does not lead to strictures, erosions, or diarrhea. It does not require frequent adjustments or fills. Your intestines are not harmed at all. It is actually the safest WLS out there. The only major complication possible is a leak, which is rare. The weight comes off at a slightly slower pace, but it will not come back--your stomach cannot possibly return to its former size. Now how does that sound to you?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my post. I have been reading all the wonderful topics on here and so glad I found such a great forum. Personally, the more I read about vsg the more I feel like it is the right surgery for me. I have done so many diets I lose but gain back with + pounds, in the past 5 years I have just been packing on the pounds and now my health is being affected hbp, and pre diabeates lots of joint pain and mestrual problems- I am a hot mess! I have 3 young children ages 7,6 and 4 and I want to be able to do things with them; to run and play and go to the beach without being embarrased. Mostly I want to do this for myself. I used to be a runner when I was younger and I would love to do a 5k again.

I understand my insurance will pay 100% if I am qualified. I am 5" 2.75 inches and 236.4 lbs currently that is a BMI of over 40 and 100+lbs to lose.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my post. I have been reading all the wonderful topics on here and so glad I found such a great forum. Personally, the more I read about vsg the more I feel like it is the right surgery for me. I have done so many diets I lose but gain back with + pounds, in the past 5 years I have just been packing on the pounds and now my health is being affected hbp, and pre diabeates lots of joint pain and mestrual problems- I am a hot mess! I have 3 young children ages 7,6 and 4 and I want to be able to do things with them; to run and play and go to the beach without being embarrased. Mostly I want to do this for myself. I used to be a runner when I was younger and I would love to do a 5k again.

I understand my insurance will pay 100% if I am qualified. I am 5" 2.75 inches and 236.4 lbs currently that is a BMI of over 40 and 100+lbs to lose.

I think you are making the right choice. I did a lot of research and the sleeve seemed like by far the best choice for me. It seemed that not only was the lap band something you could eat around between fills, but there were too many stories of erosions and slippage- and many people have a revision to the sleeve anyway later. I did not want my intestines re routed plus the dumping for both lap band and bypass scared me. I honestly think the sleeve will become the most popular surgery very soon.

I think you will find you are the envy of the two who opt for the lap band.

Good luck to you on this wonderful journey!

I was first looking at the lab band before my surgeon suggested the sleeve. I went home and did my research. Look on on some of the other threads especially postings by Tiffykins in regards to lap band revisions to the sleeves due to complications. My husband who was just sleeved by another doctor was told they no longer are doing the lap bands and supposely the doctor who created it is no longer doing them. I have no regrets in doing the sleeve over the lapband. You will need to do what is best for you. Good Luck in making your decision.

I think you are making the right choice. I did a lot of research and the sleeve seemed like by far the best choice for me. It seemed that not only was the lap band something you could eat around between fills, but there were too many stories of erosions and slippage- and many people have a revision to the sleeve anyway later. I did not want my intestines re routed plus the dumping for both lap band and bypass scared me. I honestly think the sleeve will become the most popular surgery very soon.

I think you will find you are the envy of the two who opt for the lap band.

Good luck to you on this wonderful journey!

I agree with Meggiep. Plus with the lapband you have to keep going back for adjustments for life! Good luck to you and your decission.

Ready4change, its what your gut tells you. Just trust your judgment. It's really a personal preference and to each his/her own I say. Good luck to you.