Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

School + Recovery time

Hello everybody,

I am new to the group. I have waited a year to get my surgery going, and I finally have a date set. I will be getting the gastric sleeve on June 6. The only problem is that I am going to college to get my nursing degree, and I will be in school at that time. I wanted to know if it could all be done. Has anyone still managed to go to school while recovering from this surgery? I don't know how I should handle all of this. I have beein waiting to have this surgery for so long that I don't want to postpone another minute of it. If anyone has had this problem can you give me some advice. Thanks.

I wouldn't do it if you are on clinicals at the time. I scheduled my surgery 3 weeks before school started, so I was mostly healed up by the time I had to go to class. I could've probably started class a week after the surgery, but I definitely wouldn't be attending 100% and I wouldn't be in a condition to cram for an exam. I'd say, if you can take a full week off, you can probably do it, but if you can't relax for more than a weekend, it might be too much. But you can always request a short medical leave and turn in assignments a bit later.

I am also in school right now and my surgery was last week. I missed last weeks classes but was able to go back this week. I know everyone is different but the worst of my recovery was until about 4 days after surgery. After that I started feeling much better and was able to do more. I still get tired after some exertion but it's getting better everyday. If you are in clinicals or something of that nature, I will definately say that it will be harder for you to do that because for the first week, it took all my energy just to shower and dry my hair. If you are in regular class (lecture) then you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck and best wishes! :)

I to am a student and will be in class during my procedure but luckily it's online and it's the end stage. but...i will have papers due so hopefully i can manage. i believe i can so i'm not that worried. dunno if i could do it if i had to physically drive to school

Yeah, I am totally worried about this. I will be starting at a new school, and I am really worried about falling behind. Hopefully, I can get my surgery for labor day weekend.

I had my surgery about 3 weeks before finals- needless to say I missed alot of lectures, however... I kept up with class via emails with my professors, class website, etc.. and I got my final grades last night for the sememester- I pulled off all B's.... I actually had 2 high B's which I wish would have been A's but I'm not going to complain about B's lol. And I pulled this off with missing at least 3 weeks of lecture, so it definitely can be done. :) Hope this helps.

I am thinking at least my surgery will not be at finals. Candaceshenea, I can't even imagine having the surgery and then worrying about finals. I would have been a hot mess! Thank you for the encouragement though. I know whatever happens, I will work through it.

I know this is an older thread but I am curious how you guys did?? I will be one week post op when I go back to school. I go to an actual campus, no online for me. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly. I know I can't carry my 500 lb backpack lol looks like I will have 1 binder and 1 pen in tow for a while :)

I know i'm replying to this thread very late in the game...but i'll be getting my masters and interning when I get the surgery...will this be possible to get through? I'd only be allowed a week off.