Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question you only thing happen to you

Hi Everyone,

I know that you may not experience some of these things, but I thought I would share what I did experienced. I hope they will be helpful to anyone who needs them.

Sometimes there are things that you may think you are the only one that this is happening to. So I thought I would write about a few things that happened to me along my journey of losing 105 pounds. My first shock was that about 2 months after having sleeve surgery I notice that when I got out of the shower I would find quite a bit of my hair in the drain screen. I thought to myself I already have thin hair what am I going to do if I keep losing more hair? Well, I did and it was difficult to try to spread my already thin hair all over my head. So I started asked question to people on this board. And guess what there were a lot of people who had lost some of their hair after surgery—not that it made me feel a whole lot better, but I wasn’t alone. I learned that this is pretty normal to loose hair with rapid weight loss or some type of surgery. Then my next question was will it grow back?????—they all assured me it would, but when you have thin hair you don’t really don’t like the bald spots on your head. So, my answer was to get 2 really cute wigs close to my own hair color. Hardly anyone knew I had a wig, because it was close to my own hair style. Lots of people on this site had all kinds of theories about how to stop the Hair loss and what to do. For me I found that Nioxin Shampoo and Cream rinse worked well. Most good hair salons sell this shampoo or you can order in on line too. I felt I had a much healthier scalp after using it. I am not saying it stopped my hair loss. I am just saying I felt it gave me a healthy scalp for my hair to return. I also take the supplement Biotin. You can find it with the Vitamins and I still take it. It helps with hair and nails. Both of which I need. I don’t think there is any cure for hair loss, but just time. My hair stopped falling about 6 months after the surgery and then I noticed it started coming back in. For me; my hair had fully returned about a year from the surgery. So I wore my wigs for quite awhile—about 6 months. The most unusual part of my hair coming back in was that it was now very curly—and I had pencil straight hair before. I HATED this curly hair, and I had to learn to deal with it. I am about 19 months from surgery and finally my hair isn’t so curly and it has a lot of nice body to it and I enjoy what I have because it is much easier to manage. It feels thicker now too. So don’t panic or get scared if your hair falls out, this is normal. Not everyone will lose hair, but some of us have.

My next challenge was Constipation. When you eat Protein you tend to have constipation. I tried different products for this and the one I have found that works best for me is Miralax. I buy the store band at costco because it cost less. It works really well for me, and I just mix it in with my Protein Drink every morning and I have NO problems with constipation anymore. Walking also helps with constipation. I was embarrassed to ask people on the board about constipation. I thought I was the only one who was having this issue then I found out a lot of people were having these issues. I also eat Almonds and that seems to help me too.

We have talked a little or a lot about “slimming or flemming” In case you missed it, when you first start eating regular food you have to re-learn how to eat again and chew. With you new stomach you will need to take small tiny bites and chew until the food in your mouth is almost liquid like. This is nothing like what you had been doing your entire life. In the past you eat and talk and put big bite in your mouth along with a few chews and then swallowing—this will NO LONGER WORK FOR YOU. This is a very difficult thing to change. So with you new stomach and just having surgery you may experience slimming or flemming. First you will feel like the food is stuck, then it comes back up in a clear liquid –your saliva. It isn’t vomit, so that is why it is called slimming or flemming. It’s a wake up call to slow down you eating and chew, and chew and chew some more. Just go to the bathroom or have a napkin ready for the slimming or flemming. If you try to overeat—which is bad you may experience this too sometimes. For me it was always about not chewing enough. When I am full I know I am, at first I wasn’t sure, but sometimes I just got tired of all the chewing, so I stopped eating. I now get the hiccups or my noise will start to run when I am full. I know that other people have said they experienced this too.

For the new people or people who are thinking of having Weight Loss Surgery, I want you to know that I wouldn’t trade one of these things that happened to me for the wonderful new healthy body I now have and how happy I am. It is ALL worth it. It has made me a much better person. I have been where you are starting and I want you to know that this is the last and final thing that you will ever have to go through. If diet and exercise worked for everyone we wouldn’t consider weight loss surgery. If you want to lose the weight it will happen with good eating habits and some exercise. I will not just melt off of you. This is your new tool to allow you to get where you want to do. You have to put some effort yourself. This site is great for support and questions. So jump in and join us. We are all regular people in different stages of weight loss.

Hugs

Suzanne

Sleeved 10/28/08

225 120 125

Start Now Goal

:D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

Hi,

I am glad that is was helpful. You are going to do great! I am so excited for you. I know that this is a big step to take and you will never have any regrets about doing this. Your entire life is going to change and all for the BETTER.

Hugs,

Suzanne :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks! Just the pep talk that I needed - getting ready to be sleeved on May 2nd

Thank you for posting this!! Im getting sleeved on monday and have the same goal weight as you!! Congrats!!

Thank you for posting this!! Im getting sleeved on Monday and have the same goal weight as you!! Congrats!!

Hi,

I always get excited when I hear that someone else is going to be sleeved. This is the tool that so many of us have looked for our entire life or the life when we were fat. It isn't a miracle cure, but it sure gets things going. I am here for you if you have any questions after being sleeved. Remember the 1st month is the hardest to do. Right now you are excited, you will have all kinds of emotional feels when you get home, just contact me and I will help you in any way I can.

Hugs,:lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HI, Yes- I know about emotional things- I am not so much excited- I should be I suppose- but I think in my mind I am already trying to work thru some of the emotional aspect of it- why I eat what I eat- how much I eat- when I eat- and my life around it- I think for me it is more about breaking the chains of a horrible past and walking thru a door into a new future- not so much losing the weight- yes don't get me wrong- I have 100lbs to loose- but there is so much baggage that I carry around- that just needs to be put out to the curb- and this was my way of doing that- thanks for your support! :)

HI, Yes- I know about emotional things- I am not so much excited- I should be I suppose- but I think in my mind I am already trying to work thru some of the emotional aspect of it- why I eat what I eat- how much I eat- when I eat- and my life around it- I think for me it is more about breaking the chains of a horrible past and walking thru a door into a new future- not so much losing the weight- yes don't get me wrong- I have 100lbs to loose- but there is so much baggage that I carry around- that just needs to be put out to the curb- and this was my way of doing that- thanks for your support! :)

Hi,

It sounds like you are doing a pretty good thing, just by being able to admit that you have baggage. If you continue to do what you are doing right now that is all you will ever have. It is time to let go of some things. You CAN NOT change the past, but you do have the opportunity to change your future. Don't give your power away to being fat. Claim your power back. If you don't name it you can't claim it. So already knowing that you have issues that relate to your eating are really helpful. The great thing about the sleeves is that you have surgery on your stomach, but it tends to make your brain let go of the past and the stomach and head seem to work well together. Don't get me wrong your "old thinking brain" sometimes tries to tell you that you are starving and not getting enough to eat. That is when you have to kick in and think--gosh my stomach feels full--do I need to eat or do I JUST WANT to eat. The sleeve gives you a restriction (your new tool for success) that gives you a good restriction that will NOT allow you to over eat.

I highly suggest that you get rid of any foods that will temp you. If they are not in your house you mostly likely will not eat them. I threw out a lot of junk food before I had this surgery.

Some times writing your feelings down in a journal really help. We want someone to hear our feelings and some times the person we want to direct this at are not around, so that is the next best thing. When I was getting a divorce after 22 years of marriage the journal really helped me a lot.

I am here if you need someone to vent to or just talk. You are going to be very successful. Hugs to you.

Suzanne