Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost at 1 month... only lost 20 lbs!

Hello everyone.

On Wednesday, April 13th, I will be four weeks or one month post-op. I am a little shocked that as of today I have only lost 20 lbs. I hear about people losing thirty or fourty the first month and I can't believe that I'm stuck at 20. This makes me very sad, depressed, and dissapointed. I have 110 to lose (now 90) and hope that this is not a very slow process.

A few things may be hindering my weight loss: now that I'm on mushy Protein type foods, I am only just now getting Protein into my diet. I drink a lot throughout the day but it probably is not 64oz. I also decided during these four weeks to take myself off of my antidepressant that I've been on for years. I know it caused a lot of weight gain and kept me from losing weight. I decided that since I went to the utmost extreme of having the majority of my stomach removed, there is no way I'm going to let a stupid little pill keep me from losing weight. I can manage depression other ways. My depression will be terrible until I figure out a way to cope with it, but the weight issue takes precedence right now. I'm thinking that the withdrawal from the medicine may also be messing with my weight. Until my body is used to functioning without the antidepressant, it may be messing up the weight loss.

What does everyone think about only losing 20 lbs? Maybe I'll lose a few more by Wednesday.

Seriously, 20lbs per month is phenomenal. When in the past have you dropped 20lbs in a month, and know you're gonna be able to keep it off? That's how I always looked at losing when I was worried about "losing too slow, or too fast". Just keep following the program, push fluids, and you'll continue to succeed.

I was 4 weeks out last wednesday and I only lost 12.2lbs( I will weigh again on this wed, once a week). I am disappointed about it but I guess I will be a slow loser. I am trying to look at it like Tiffany explains. It's weight that's gone that won't be back.....So anything is something!!!!

I wouldn't worry much. I'm just starting week 4 and I have only lost about 14 pounds so far. However, my mantra is "a loss is a loss, is a loss". As long as I'm making smarter choices most of the time and getting in fluids, then whatever may be may be. Besides, I think with slower weight loss it gives your body more of a chance to keep up, not to mention your skin to rebound. Just keep making good choices and it'll happen.

Tiff is right on. It may be difficult dealing with your depression (been there, etc...) but try to see only the positives about your weight loss. If you aren't exercising much, increasing your activity level will help the weight come off, and helps with depression too. Remember, you will hit a stall at some point, but your body is adapting to your new diet and you will start losing again. Don't let that bring you down. Think of the other benefits of your weight loss as well--better health, looser clothing, etc. Focus on the big picture, not the scale. Also, if the depression gets worse, don't feel that you can't go back on the antidepressants. Slower weight loss is a small price to pay to keep your mood at an even keel.

Besides, the slower you lose, the fewer saggy baggies you will have--that's what I keep telling myself! LOL!

20 pounds sounds great!! At my one month surgiversary, I have lost 16 pounds - and I am ecstatic about it! People lose at different paces. You can't compare yourself to anyone else.

Besides, it's only been a month - you have the next year of weight loss to look forward to.

Lara

I'm nearly 3 months out and have only lost 36 pounds! You are doing great. My advice...stay off the scale everyday! Don't worry, it will happen!

I will be 4 weeks out on April 16th and my 28 lb loss on my ticker includes my pre-diet loss as well. I was 241 right before surgery and 245 when I cam home. I am now 224. So, from right before surgery until today, I have lost 17 lbs. So I think you are right on target!

No worries...it's all good!! :D

20 lbs is great! I will be thrilled if I am down 20 lbs a month from tomorrow (surgery date!) congratulations on your success. :)

I only lost 17 lbs. my first month. 20 is great!

I haven't been sleeved yet, but I am having a hard time seeing the problem here. ONLY 20 pounds in 4 weeks??? That sounds pretty damn good to me! The goal here isn't to magically get skinny overnight with no time or work put in; this is a process that you will need to work at, the sleeve is only a tool after all. I think looking for quick easy results is why most of us have failed at diets in the past. Just my opinion.

Good luck to you, for what it's worth I think your progress is wonderful.

That's right about where I was, actually a bit more than me at 4 weeks. Don't let it get you down. We'll all get where we wanna be eventuallysmile.gif

Keep your chin up. And come back here to vent when you feel like it.

If you are wanting to lose 110 pound, then you have already lost 18% of your weight. You are almost 1/5 of the way to your goal. Way to go!

I'm 6 weeks out today and have lost 8kgs (17.6lbs) as of this morning - am pretty happy with that. I'm hoping for a steady 1kg (2.2lbs) a week to get me to my goal. I sit here with my mouth open in shock when I see what some people lose in their first month, but I know that has never been the way the weight comes off me- so that's unlikely to change now. Just keep doing the right things, keep living your life and one day you'll be at goal. The scale is only part of life, don't forget smile.gif