Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you spend less money on food now?

I was wondering about this.

I spend an enormous, shameful amount of money on *food*. It's not really because I eat a lot, it's more because I'm either on or off a diet. So when I'm on the diet, I have to buy the diet stuff. And then the diet convenience stuff, like supplements and...you know, whatever they sell you, the supplement-sprouting Chia Pet and the DVD. THen when I'm off the diet I go out to dinner, buy fast food and good wine and whatever looks good in the bakery aisle. I also buy whatever herbal thing I'm supposed to buy and all the gimmicks around. For example I bought Sensa food Sprinkles and they are very silly but look the alternative was getting an organ removed.

Anyway I spent ten thousand dollars to do this thinking that over time I'd save money on all that, not to mention I would probably eat less and save more. Is this what happened to you or is there more crap to buy on the other side of the sleeve?

Well... yes and no.... I'm not sure if it's just you or if you have a family to shop for, so this is what I do. I have to shop for myself, Hubby and our toddler. I still buy a lot of the same things for them so I really don't spend less on actual groceries possibly a little more. I buy a lot more Protein now. But I am also a big couponer so I'm always looking for the best deal. But, we eat out far less. Far less for us is once a week down from 3 or 4 meals out a week. If it's just you, I think you will have a decent amount of savings on your hands!

I'm only 3 1/2 weeks outs (on soft foods) but I have found that I do save a lot less on groceries already. Today I ran to the grocery store and only had one bag of groceries versus the 10 or so that it would've been pre-op. However, the Protein powder and drinks definitely add up. I think they take the place of the money I saved on groceries so far. Not sure if that will change the farther out I get but I would think so since we will be eating more actual foods and hopefully less Protein shakes/drinks.

The only way I spend less is because I'm a major couponer (note I'm not an extreme, shelf-wiping, hoarding couponer), but I found when I quit purchasing pre-packaged, pre-made, convenience meals, my grocery bill went up/ To offset this cost, I started couponing. The only boxed food I buy is rice, stovetop stuffing, and I switched us over to all frozen veggies. I still keep frozen pizzas, junk food in the house to some extent, but when I started preparing meals from scratch, our overall grocery bill went up.

The only way I spend less is because I'm a major couponer (note I'm not an extreme, shelf-wiping, hoarding couponer), but I found when I quit purchasing pre-packaged, pre-made, convenience meals, my grocery bill went up/ To offset this cost, I started couponing. The only boxed food I buy is rice, stovetop stuffing, and I switched us over to all frozen veggies. I still keep frozen pizzas, junk food in the house to some extent, but when I started preparing meals from scratch, our overall grocery bill went up.

:) That's interesting Tiffy. I have never been a cook-from-scratch kind of person, but I always heard it was better to do because you "saved money".

Another myth busted I guess.

I do spend a lot less...I was used to go to the food court in my work twice a day and eat out once a week in addition to all the Snacks, chocolates, pizzas, etc. Now it is way less. When I go out I need to share my plate, no more fast food, junk, etc.

:) That's interesting Tiffy. I have never been a cook-from-scratch kind of person, but I always heard it was better to do because you "saved money".

Another myth busted I guess.

It probably also has to do with the fact that I do not buy cheap foods. I buy craptons more Protein that I ever purchased before, plus I purchase seafood items which are almost always twice as expensive as chicken/turkey. I'm not a cheap date when it comes to seafood, I only eat Tilapia, Mahi Mahi and Scallops, that's it. So, it also has to do with the quality of foods I'm buying. food does stretch further since my 12 yr old eats more than I do, but between him and the mister with their astronomically high metabolisms, they eat a lot of food.

In the long run, I'm pretty sure it is cheaper because of the quality of foods we're putting in our bodies.

I do not bake from scratch. I really suck with baking so I still do buy refrigerated or frozen biscuits. If I was good at baking, I'd seriously bake our own bread, , and other baked goods, but alas I cave into Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker for all my baked yumminess.

Yes! I text my husband the other day and said, "I am now a VERY cheap date." I just had eggs and a piece of toast at Whataburger and it cost...wait for it....a big $1.07.

However, my grocery bill has risen due to buying healthier food. What a shame! We are constantly bomb-barted with food ads EVERYWHERE and when we try to make healthier choices we have to pay more. Gotta love the American way!! :( (not)

I can use some couponing instruction...not to be like the wackadoodles I saw on Extreme Couponing- but enough to save some major money. Those people are extreme but they save some major bucks.

One of the issues for me is that grocery stores don't do double couponing so much in CA. I think those couponing superstars are not in CA.

And Crosswinds dear? Just so you know, not that I want to pressure you or anything, I head to the site after every couple of hundred of weddingphotos I edit looking for a new topic of convo from you....so get cracking! :lol:

Yes and no. I buy less but I also buy better. I think over all I am maybe spending just a little less.

I am sure we will save money on food if you include eating out as hubby & I have a serious eating out addiction. As a couple we eat out 5-6 meals a week and at work I often go out with co-workers for lunch. Hubby & I will still eat out more than we should but like "can't weight", I will be a cheap date! That alone will save big bucks. Plus....I have been spending a lot of time on Eggface's blog & tried a couple of her recipes this week and hope to start making foods to take to work. Since the kiddos left the nest I haven't cooked much but maybe this will change. :)

I can use some couponing instruction...not to be like the wackadoodles I saw on Extreme Couponing- but enough to save some major money. Those people are extreme but they save some major bucks.

One of the issues for me is that grocery stores don't do double couponing so much in CA. I think those couponing superstars are not in CA.

I started printing, and searching out coupons on my own at home, and would spend about 4 hours a week printing, clipping, organizing. THEN, I ditched that I started using a coupon clipping service. I use Danielle's Coupon Paradise. I recommend finding one in your home state because shipping time is the essential element for using clipping services. Danielle's is here in Florida so I get my coupons within 2 days of placing my order. I also do not ever order more than $5-$7 in coupons from the service, and my typical savings from that amount spent will range from $60-$100 at the register. I was spending way too much time, paper and printer ink doing it at home all the time. I also email specific companies for coupons, or sign up for email coupons, and "Like" a lot of companies/products on Facebook for freebies and Facebook fan exclusive savings, sweepstakes, giveaways. I'm also a Fan of Frugal Floridians (which finds local deals here at our specific grocers/Walgreens/CVS), I'm a member of mojo savings on Facebook, and Mamapedia emails. I'm also a free sample hoarder. We will never have to worry about not having travel size hygiene products for any trips we might take. I also use restaurant.com for all of our big dining out adventures, and never pay more than $2 for a $25 restaurant gift certificate.

I always look for in-store coupons with extended expiration dates, and I only take what I know I will use. Specific items go sale be it "Buy one, get one free" or buy 2 for XX amount (which usually equals 1-2 bucks off the pair) in cycles of 60-90 days. If you watch sales at your local grocer, you can almost time it perfectly with coupons. For example, at our commissary, Pasta sauce goes on sale every 60 days. It's either the Ragu or Newman's own that will be BOGO, or 2 for $3, and then I'll have a coupon for $2.00 off 2 jars which make it's either Free or just $1 for 2 jars.

Unfortunately, for Proteins, and veggies those coupons usually involve buy 2-5 different condiments/oils/sauces. Such as buy 3 Kraft Products, get $2.00 off any package of ground beef or chicken breasts or produce. This is when couponing gets creative. I'll buy barbque sauce, the philedelphia cream cheese, and some salad dressing for my 3 Kraft products then use a $0.30-$0.75 off coupon for each of those products that are full price. Least to say, we have a stockpile of Condiments in this house. But, these products come in handy for get-togethers with friends, and various potluck gatherings where we have to take something. Stores such as Dollar General and Family Dollar both accept coupons, and that is where I purchase most of my paper and cleaning products(except when the commissary runs a sale on them).

I can feed our family of 3, including household cleaning products, hygiene and toiletry products, with 2 large breed dogs for about $250-$275 per month with couponing. Before I started clipping and being more diligent, our grocery bill hit about $400-$450 per month. Plus, I average 2-4 get togethers per months with girlfriends and family friends here where we have to take food. I also take a Protein based "snack/appetizer" because everyone else takes Desserts or some form of dip and crackers or bread with oil, or some other carb loaded junk food product , and Protein is always lacking. I typically take appetizer meatballs or chicken wings.

I do stockpile cheese, deli meat, frozen veggies. All of these items freeze and defrost easily without affecting product quality, taste. texture. I also stopped buying almost all canned veggies. The only ones I buy are Ranch Style Beans (they are a Southern thing for the most part), New potatoes (I make a casserole with these and I hate, hate slicing potatoes), artichokes. If we need refried Beans, black beans, pinto beans, any other bean, I buy the dry variety, and stick them in the crock pot. I make my own mac-n-cheese, and other Pasta dishes except for Suddenly salad classic flavor boxed pasta(oh how I love that stuff LOL). I also forgot that I do buy boxed potatoes like the scalloped/au gratin/loaded bake potato varieties. These are truly loaded full of crap, but it's the convenience food that I use for quick side dishes when I don't have more time in the kitchen. I also watch for them to go on sale and stock up. We only eat them probably twice weekly due to baseball practice or the mister working late, and I admit, that no matter what I do, no matter how I prepare them, nothing beats the Betty Crocker brand of scalloped cheesy potatoes LOL. I've tried to replicate boxed potatoes and Rice A Roni for years, and it's always an epic fail LOL LOL.

So, that's how I do it.

Another key note is CVS, Walgreens, and RiteAid also have register rewards and some serious kickass deals, and there you can actually make money. I do not have the patience for all of that, and since I don't really stockpile anything from a pharmacy retailer, I haven't delved into being a couponista at those retailers. But, I have a girlfriend that stocks up big time at CVS and Walgreens every week. None of our stores double or triple coupons either.

My last shop at Wal-Mart my total bill was around $60 bucks (and the cashier and lady behind me were both huffing and puffing because I had a coupon for every item, seriously everything I bought that day, I had a coupon for), my final check out was just $14. At the end, I looked at both of them, and said "even though you might not like that I just saved almost $50 in coupons, and you had to scan some extra pieces of paper in addition to my groceries, and you had to wait an additional 1.5 minutes for her to ring my coupons, I just saved enough to fill up my gas tank" smiled and swaggered out of the store. This is one of the biggest reasons I cashier profile. Plus, I keep everything organized, and make sure they do not have to look up prices for my BOGO free coupons, I make it easiest for the cashier and other customers behind me.

I started printing, and searching out coupons on my own at home, and would spend about 4 hours a week printing, clipping, organizing. THEN, I ditched that I started using a coupon clipping service. I use Danielle's Coupon Paradise. I recommend finding one in your home state because shipping time is the essential element for using clipping services. Danielle's is here in Florida so I get my coupons within 2 days of placing my order. I also do not ever order more than $5-$7 in coupons from the service, and my typical savings from that amount spent will range from $60-$100 at the register. I was spending way too much time, paper and printer ink doing it at home all the time. I also email specific companies for coupons, or sign up for email coupons, and "Like" a lot of companies/products on Facebook for freebies and Facebook fan exclusive savings, sweepstakes, giveaways. I'm also a Fan of Frugal Floridians (which finds local deals here at our specific grocers/Walgreens/CVS), I'm a member of mojo savings on Facebook, and Mamapedia emails. I'm also a free sample hoarder. We will never have to worry about not having travel size hygiene products for any trips we might take. I also use restaurant.com for all of our big dining out adventures, and never pay more than $2 for a $25 restaurant gift certificate.

I always look for in-store coupons with extended expiration dates, and I only take what I know I will use. Specific items go sale be it "Buy one, get one free" or buy 2 for XX amount (which usually equals 1-2 bucks off the pair) in cycles of 60-90 days. If you watch sales at your local grocer, you can almost time it perfectly with coupons. For example, at our commissary, Pasta sauce goes on sale every 60 days. It's either the Ragu or Newman's own that will be BOGO, or 2 for $3, and then I'll have a coupon for $2.00 off 2 jars which make it's either Free or just $1 for 2 jars.

Unfortunately, for Proteins, and veggies those coupons usually involve buy 2-5 different condiments/oils/sauces. Such as buy 3 Kraft Products, get $2.00 off any package of ground beef or chicken breasts or produce. This is when couponing gets creative. I'll buy barbque sauce, the philedelphia cream cheese, and some salad dressing for my 3 Kraft products then use a $0.30-$0.75 off coupon for each of those products that are full price. Least to say, we have a stockpile of Condiments in this house. But, these products come in handy for get-togethers with friends, and various potluck gatherings where we have to take something. Stores such as Dollar General and Family Dollar both accept coupons, and that is where I purchase most of my paper and cleaning products(except when the commissary runs a sale on them).

I can feed our family of 3, including household cleaning products, hygiene and toiletry products, with 2 large breed dogs for about $250-$275 per month with couponing. Before I started clipping and being more diligent, our grocery bill hit about $400-$450 per month. Plus, I average 2-4 get togethers per months with girlfriends and family friends here where we have to take food. I also take a Protein based "snack/appetizer" because everyone else takes Desserts or some form of dip and crackers or bread with oil, or some other carb loaded junk food product , and Protein is always lacking. I typically take appetizer meatballs or chicken wings.

I do stockpile cheese, deli meat, frozen veggies. All of these items freeze and defrost easily without affecting product quality, taste. texture. I also stopped buying almost all canned veggies. The only ones I buy are Ranch Style Beans (they are a Southern thing for the most part), New potatoes (I make a casserole with these and I hate, hate slicing potatoes), artichokes. If we need refried Beans, black beans, pinto beans, any other bean, I buy the dry variety, and stick them in the crock pot. I make my own mac-n-cheese, and other Pasta dishes except for Suddenly salad classic flavor boxed pasta(oh how I love that stuff LOL). I also forgot that I do buy boxed potatoes like the scalloped/au gratin/loaded bake potato varieties. These are truly loaded full of crap, but it's the convenience food that I use for quick side dishes when I don't have more time in the kitchen. I also watch for them to go on sale and stock up. We only eat them probably twice weekly due to baseball practice or the mister working late, and I admit, that no matter what I do, no matter how I prepare them, nothing beats the Betty Crocker brand of scalloped cheesy potatoes LOL. I've tried to replicate boxed potatoes and Rice A Roni for years, and it's always an epic fail LOL LOL.

So, that's how I do it.

Another key note is CVS, Walgreens, and RiteAid also have register rewards and some serious kickass deals, and there you can actually make money. I do not have the patience for all of that, and since I don't really stockpile anything from a pharmacy retailer, I haven't delved into being a couponista at those retailers. But, I have a girlfriend that stocks up big time at CVS and Walgreens every week. None of our stores double or triple coupons either.

My last shop at Wal-Mart my total bill was around $60 bucks (and the cashier and lady behind me were both huffing and puffing because I had a coupon for every item, seriously everything I bought that day, I had a coupon for), my final check out was just $14. At the end, I looked at both of them, and said "even though you might not like that I just saved almost $50 in coupons, and you had to scan some extra pieces of paper in addition to my groceries, and you had to wait an additional 1.5 minutes for her to ring my coupons, I just saved enough to fill up my gas tank" smiled and swaggered out of the store. This is one of the biggest reasons I cashier profile. Plus, I keep everything organized, and make sure they do not have to look up prices for my BOGO free coupons, I make it easiest for the cashier and other customers behind me.

My GOODNESS Tiffy good for you. I'm ashamed to even say what I spend on groceries in the same thread as you. I always admired coupon clippers and one winter it motivated me to have taken advantage of both CVS and Walgreens programs. But mostly I just get in my car and go to the store.

Wow Tiff that is great. I wish I could do that. I am spending WAY more on shopping than you and I don't buy a lot of processed food so I find for most things I can't find coupons for them. I found that a lot of the websites i have looked at and use to print coupons like through Coupon mom, have mostly all processed food items so a lot of the coupons they offer I would never use. I have never used a coupon service, I am going to look into what is available around here.

My bills are going up, because it appears that my husband is making up for what Im not eating! I personally am spending less, when I eat out, i get three meals out of one... I only buy Protein Drinks that costs around $1 a serving, and I do make a lot of my food from scratch, I don't eat meat, so meat substitutes are much cheeper to make from scratch and freeze. Now, clothing and makeup bills....thats another topic!