Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I dont even know where to begin! Leaning towards Mexico! If you had your surgery in Mexico.....

Who was the doctor who performed your surgery, at what hospital and what was your total out of pocket expence if you dont mind me asking. I will be paying cash and I am probably going to be traveling alone, would love any helpful tips on what, if anything I should take with me(for ex:Meds, shakes), I have done alot of research am just so overwhelmed with all the different options. I think I would like to do the Gastric Plication Surgery, since so many people are going that route after failed lap-band and it doesnt seem as invasive as the gastric sleeve because no part of the stomach is removed. I also dont know if I need to see a local physician...i was just reading about stress tests, etc. and I dont know if that is something taken care of there in Mexico post-op or what. I dont want to die on the operating table! I have no health conditions that I am aware of, good blood pressure, no diabetes, just fat! I am 37 yr old female and I weigh 240 lbs and I am sick of being fat all of my life and i dont care what anyone thinks anymore, people have been sabotaging me all my life and its time for a new start:) I have a 15 month old daughter that I wanna be around long enough to see her into adulthood. It would also be nice if I could keep up with her and not be ashamed to be naked around my husband...

What are your thoughts?

Btw, thank you for your time, I really appreciate it:)

I had my surgery done in Tijuana by Dr. Mario Almanza at the Jeruselum Clinic. The clinic was as clean or cleaner than anything I've seen in the US. I too paid cash however, if its at all possible, I'd recommend going with someone. It makes it much easier.

In talking it over with the doctoer there, they said they have seen a higher success rate with the gastric sleeve than the Placation but its certainly your choice. There are some tests in Mexico, including blood tests and they will provide you with those. There is some history you have to fill out but nothing you can't deal with.

Having part of the stomach is a good thing actually, I think. There is some information recently out that the stomach has its own 'brain' and can take control of the hunger process. Removing it removes the issue and I notice far less hunger (only 'head' hunger) issues and much easier to eat small amounts and be full.

Best of luck to you and you are making a great choice!

I dont even know where to begin! Leaning towards Mexico! If you had your surgery in Mexico.....

Who was the doctor who performed your surgery, at what hospital and what was your total out of pocket expence if you dont mind me asking. I will be paying cash and I am probably going to be traveling alone, would love any helpful tips on what, if anything I should take with me(for ex:Meds, shakes), I have done alot of research am just so overwhelmed with all the different options. I think I would like to do the Gastric Plication Surgery, since so many people are going that route after failed lap-band and it doesnt seem as invasive as the gastric sleeve because no part of the stomach is removed. I also dont know if I need to see a local physician...i was just reading about stress tests, etc. and I dont know if that is something taken care of there in Mexico post-op or what. I dont want to die on the operating table! I have no health conditions that I am aware of, good blood pressure, no diabetes, just fat! I am 37 yr old female and I weigh 240 lbs and I am sick of being fat all of my life and i dont care what anyone thinks anymore, people have been sabotaging me all my life and its time for a new start:) I have a 15 month old daughter that I wanna be around long enough to see her into adulthood. It would also be nice if I could keep up with her and not be ashamed to be naked around my husband...

What are your thoughts?

Btw, thank you for your time, I really appreciate it:)

Hi there!

I too made the decision to head south of the border with Dr Kelly at the Oasis Center just over a week ago on 3.28. ;o) It was small compared to what the hospitals look like in the US, and maybe a little older looking, however my private room had everything I needed for 2 days. As soon as I was admitted, they started doing all my testing right there: Urine sample, EKG, medical backround, chat with the Dr and that was pretty much it.

I had the sleeve done at 6:30pm and was up walking around about 1am, wanted to sooner however had really low blood pressure and they advised not to. The first 2 days was pretty bad-I mean it's major surgery afterall. However, the nurses all took such great care of me and Dr Kelly was great at easing my anxieties and answering questions. I went alone and it was totally fine. You are in bed pretty much the whole time either sleeping or resting in the hospital, so my husband would have been bored with nothing to do around the area. I brought a book, loose fitting yoga pants, slippers, gas-x, chapstick and a few changes of clothes. Everything else was provided.

After 2 days, I moved to the really nice Hotel Lucerna with another patient that was sleeved the same day as me (my new friend and sleeve buddy). Dr Kellys' asst, Trish was right there with us to explain our meds, diet, answer questions, etc. She bought us Jello, gatorade and our gauze and tape for the incisions. She took other patients shopping, or whatever, however we were just as happy sitting by the pool getting some Vit D!! It helped to talk with another person who was going thru exactly what I was adn I would Skype with my husband in the evenings.

I am thrilled with my decision to head down to MX for my sleeve! Once I had done all my research on the doctors and officially made my decision, I was sleeved within 3 weeks! I think prices can range from $5k-10k depending on the doctor and when you call, some may be running specials.

I am healing nicely and was already back to work answering emails the day after surgery! Fully back to work last Friday, just 4 days post-op. Including the 2-week liquid pre-op diet, today I am down 21 lbs! I feel like I'm on the road to being who I really want to be!!

Good luck!!

Hi,

I went to Dr Aceves in Mexicali. Fantastic facility, fantastic staff, not the cheapest. Do a search on the forum for Dr Aceves and you will see his patients' stories - all very good.

Make sure you do a lot more research on the plication. We have someone here on the board who has it and is thinking about changing it to a sleeve. Also, there have been some issues with tissue death with the part of the stomach that is folded over. I was a revision from a lap-band and I am extremely happy with my choice of the VSG and my doctor.

I think there is a plication subject forum if you scroll all the way down on the main page - that may be some help for you.

Good luck on your decision!

Lara

I did not have surgery in Mexico so can't help out with that.. But I did have the sleeve done and I would still pick that one over plication if i could do it again.

it just does not make sense to me to fold the stomach over itself, how do they check that part of the stomach for ulcers, cancer etc.. later in life..

also I like not being hungry the majority of the time.. and when I am it is usually Head hunger

do lots of research and find what is right for you...

good luck

Dr. Aceves here, too. Mexicali, Mexico. Ditto what Rev Me Up said. We were there at the same time. Could not have had a better experience. Agreed, he is a little more expensive, but I would pay it all over again for my treatment there.

You will find different prices for clinic-type surgery facilities and for full service hospitals. Dr. Aceves has his own "wing" of a full service hospital.

Good luck on your decision.smile.gif

Thank you all for the feedback, I am very greatful to you all...a lot of important questions have been answered...I guess I have more research to do...plication vs sleeve!?!?!?! My biggest concern with the plication is the dying of stomach tissue and the fact as stated above, how do u check for ulcers/cancer. Very important argument. Only read about these complications from one patient on the web. Also the fact that the plication surgery is fairly new and there are no long term statistics. Long-term statistics are what have kept me from doing any surgery up til now, been waiting to see what happens with lap-band and then I waited to see with what happens with the sleeve and here I am still waiting! LOL! Arghhhhh!