Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello crowd! I haven't been posting much I know, I've been really really busy at home and at work too. It has taken all my time and time posting here has been very limited.

I had a kinda strange NSV last night and thought I'd share it. I was a little bit perplexed by it and thought, wow... do I really look THAT different? Strange...

Anyway, my Mom and I have been commuting to work together for the past few days. My Mom just started back up to work and she works near where I do. We thought it would be a good idea because then we can share on gas and have use of the carpool lane too... which is great!! Plus our schedules work out perfectly so she can drop me at my office and pick me up after since I work 9 hours a day.

Well, yesterday I had to wait on her because she made a quick stop at the grocery store. As I was standing by the curb waiting for her, I started playing on my Droid phone. I wasn't really paying enough attention I guess to those pulling up and waiting or picking up others. She made her way there and got out to get into the passenger side (she hates driving in gridlock so I do it). Well, next thing I know I hear my Mom call my name, so I go over and get into the car. She looks at me confused and said, "I didn't even recognize you at first!!"

LOL!!! I just looked at her and said.. "you didn't recognize me?"

She said, "No, you look so skinny and I didn't know that was you!"

Haaahhaaa!! I just chuckled, but I was really surprised to hear this. You know, My Mom lives with us so she freakin sees me every day. I guess in this situation it was a bit different, because she had to scan me amongst others around.

Not only that I see friends every single day and I'm even having to go out of my way to say hello to them and they always look shocked and say, "oh my goodness hey!! I didn't even recognize you!" They mean to just walk right past me... it's so funny!! It does make me a little sad too but hey I guess they'll get used to the new me eventually.

I just never imagined that in 6 months I would change so much physically that folks I see day in and day out wouldn't even recognize me from afar. B)

Haha that's kind of funny and amazing too, that it's only taken you 6 months for that huge of a change. If you were bigger for a long time I think it's kinda natural for it to take a while for people to adjust to a smaller frame on you. Try to see it as a positive nsv, cuz they still love you. I have heard of a lot of ppl catching glimpses of themselves in a window and realizing it was them and not someone else too. Thats both strange and funny. Post-op must be a wild trip!! I can hardly wait for the ride.

Haha that's kind of funny and amazing too, that it's only taken you 6 months for that huge of a change. If you were bigger for a long time I think it's kinda natural for it to take a while for people to adjust to a smaller frame on you. Try to see it as a positive nsv, cuz they still love you. I have heard of a lot of ppl catching glimpses of themselves in a window and realizing it was them and not someone else too. Thats both strange and funny. Post-op must be a wild trip!! I can hardly wait for the ride.

Yes it's true, I've been Up and Down with my weight for the last almost 20 years. I've never been thin as an adult, only since being a young teenager, then shortly after I got married and stopped doing things to keep myself thin. I gained that weight pretty quickly.

You do have a lot to look forward to, and that's a lot less of you. :) NSV's are my favorites. The scale going down is nice, but I'm telling you, it's the little things that keep reminding me that I'm doing mighty fine. Good luck!!!

Amen sister! I love and continue to be amazed when the scale goes down but those NSV's just like the one you described are priceless!! I am starting to get a little irritated when people ask me how much I have lost - I am not sure why, it's just that all of the sudden it feels really private to me and I don't want to feel like people are walking around discussing the fact that I have lost over 100 lbs. I usually reply thanks for noticing, I have been working at it and I still have a ways to go, then try to change the subject. I never expected to feel that way.

Wow Diva, how cool is that... must be a great feeling to be called 'skinny' ... nice one, keep the stories coming, cos they cheer me up no end! =]

Diva...I imagine it was because your mom was seeing you in a group of people and had to pick you out of the crowd where normally she sees you in "your" environment (home, etc). Either way....what a great compliment! I'd love that.

I had the reverse happen to me recently when I was walking in the mall and saw this woman coming toward me and I thought to myself, "gosh, she looks so much like my aunt Barbara...only much heavier." You guessed it...it was ME reflected in a friggin mirror!

What a bummer! Oh well....a week from today I start my journey to becoming unrecognizable to my family because I've become so svelte! :P

Amen sister! I love and continue to be amazed when the scale goes down but those NSV's just like the one you described are priceless!! I am starting to get a little irritated when people ask me how much I have lost - I am not sure why, it's just that all of the sudden it feels really private to me and I don't want to feel like people are walking around discussing the fact that I have lost over 100 lbs. I usually reply thanks for noticing, I have been working at it and I still have a ways to go, then try to change the subject. I never expected to feel that way.

You are not alone in that feeling!! Sometimes I have to stop myself from making some asinine response... LOL One gal said, Hey you've lost some weight huh? How much? I replied, none, I have not lost any weight!! I acted kinda upset like, what you callin me fat?? LOL!! It was pretty funny though... she's a good sport. :)

I do find myself trying to change the subject, nearly every time too. I just don't want my whole life's day in and day out being about me and losing weight I guess. It will all stop eventually I suppose, unless I see someone I haven't in a long time, then it would get brought up. At least that is what I tell myself everytime I get told I'm losing weight or whatever comment. That usually makes me feel better...

Wow Diva, how cool is that... must be a great feeling to be called 'skinny' ... nice one, keep the stories coming, cos they cheer me up no end! =]

Ah, now see, as I replied to the above this one's the same for me. I actually shy away from being called skinny or thin or whatever folks remark to me. Only because I know I'm none of these. They're just not used to seeing me look halfway normal. I'd say me being in a 12/14 is really considered normal in this heavier world. I still don't consider myself skinny though. :lol:

I think it's just maybe a matter of ME accepting the new me, rather than the other way around! Know what I mean?

Diva...I imagine it was because your mom was seeing you in a group of people and had to pick you out of the crowd where normally she sees you in "your" environment (home, etc). Either way....what a great compliment! I'd love that.

I had the reverse happen to me recently when I was walking in the mall and saw this woman coming toward me and I thought to myself, "gosh, she looks so much like my aunt Barbara...only much heavier." You guessed it...it was ME reflected in a friggin mirror!

What a bummer! Oh well....a week from today I start my journey to becoming unrecognizable to my family because I've become so svelte! :P

It is interesting no doubt!! It was really weird being told from the woman who gave me life that she didn't even recognize me. LOL!!

Just imagine, in a few months, this will be you too!!

This is almost the same thing that happened to me last summer. I was out walking in my neighborhood after work and my husband drove by me in his car - without stopping - and went to our house. I soon caught up to him and asked why he didn't stop to say "hi". He said he didn't recognize me from the back when he drove by me, that he thought it was some skinny lady with long hair (I just recently grew my hair out - it had been short for YEARS). He said "I don't recognize you in those clothes either. I'm just not used to seeing you look like that."

I've been with this guy for 31 yrs now - since we were teenagers. So he should know what I look like. Or maybe he's just getting old and his eyes are going bad...ha!

So I guess even our closest relatives have a hard time wrapping their brains around our new bodies - we must REALLY blow the minds of people we don't see as often.

That is an awesome NSV :) yayyyy!

Thanks for sharing this Diva. It has me thinking...

When you are obese there is no where to hide. We try taking cover behind other people or a child in a photo. We try to squeeze ourselves into a movie theater seat and pray that no one needs to get by and use the bathroom. We do mental calcuations as to whether or not that plastic chair or kayak amusement park ride or zip line or horse will hold us. And one thing that we all so desprately want is to blend in, and be noticed for our great smile, hair, eyes, or shining personality, yet when someone is talking to us or looking at us, the obesity is THERE. The elephant in the room so to speak (truly pardon the pun.)

It's so nice to shed enough weight to be/look normal. LOVE THIS! Woo hoo. Congrats on your NSV!!!

This is almost the same thing that happened to me last summer. I was out walking in my neighborhood after work and my husband drove by me in his car - without stopping - and went to our house. I soon caught up to him and asked why he didn't stop to say "hi". He said he didn't recognize me from the back when he drove by me, that he thought it was some skinny lady with long hair (I just recently grew my hair out - it had been short for YEARS). He said "I don't recognize you in those clothes either. I'm just not used to seeing you look like that."

I've been with this guy for 31 yrs now - since we were teenagers. So he should know what I look like. Or maybe he's just getting old and his eyes are going bad...ha!

So I guess even our closest relatives have a hard time wrapping their brains around our new bodies - we must REALLY blow the minds of people we don't see as often.

Hahaaa!!! Truly awesome isn't it???

That is an awesome NSV :) yayyyy!

Thanks girlie!! :D

Thanks for sharing this Diva. It has me thinking...

When you are obese there is no where to hide. We try taking cover behind other people or a child in a photo. We try to squeeze ourselves into a movie theater seat and pray that no one needs to get by and use the bathroom. We do mental calcuations as to whether or not that plastic chair or kayak amusement park ride or zip line or horse will hold us. And one thing that we all so desprately want is to blend in, and be noticed for our great smile, hair, eyes, or shining personality, yet when someone is talking to us or looking at us, the obesity is THERE. The elephant in the room so to speak (truly pardon the pun.)

It's so nice to shed enough weight to be/look normal. LOVE THIS! Woo hoo. Congrats on your NSV!!!

This is so very very true. You hit the nail on the head, because being obese we carry more weight on our shoulders than we do on our whole bodies. Our lives, the air we breath, our every thought is consumed by being heavy. I know that feeling too well wondering if that chair with the sides is going to be able to work on my giant frame. Or if I step on a step stool, will it break underneath me??? - that kind of thing. It's so sad and is becoming more a memory for me every day - but I still find myself thinking like this from time to time. I have to remind myself, that yes - I can fit in those tiny seats at the sporting event and all that kind of stuff... and believe it those seats are tiny!!! Now I'm fitting in them with even a little wiggle room. It's pretty cool.

I do really love this NSV because for once in about 20 years, I'm actually being considered of normal size. I never imagined I would be here already barely 6 months out when I was looking up at those lights getting ready to take a deep nap and wake up with no stomach (and no band! :P ).

Cheers!!!

That is so cool Irene! You will be at goal before you know it!:D

Irene, that is soo awesome! I can't imagine having your mom being unable to pick you out of a crowd! Makes me shake my head and smile -- who knew that having this surgery would have such an impact on us?? I NEVER anticipated it myself! amazing. :D

Ok I'm a loser...what does NSV stand for????

Non scale Victory

Just so the scale doesn't rule/dictate our lives. It's not always about the number on the scale, so we are always trying to find non-scale ways to celebrate! ;)