Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dr kelly or dr aceves?

I'll be heading to mexico for my sleeve surgery (i got denied by my insurance). Now i'm trying to decide which doctor to use. I probably will be going alone. have anyone gone alone? how was the experience?

Both doctors are good from what I understand. I am having my surgery next week and will be going by myself. My coordinator is actually going to be there with me since hubby was not able to go with me and nervous about me going alone. She works with Dr. Kelly and gave me him as an option as well. As for Dr. Aceves, I know 2 people who went to him and had only good things to say. I truly think you will be okay with either choice but do your research and ask questions until you are totally satisfied with your choice.

It took me 2 years to decide and in the last month I switched 3 times in choosing a doctor and twice in going back and forth with which procedure but I and my coordinator are fine with that. It is a big decision and most will be confused as to what to do. Good luck on your search.

Hi,

I think the answers on this post will be divided by the people that went to each doctor. There are a lot of people on the board that had their surgery done by those 2 doctors. I am a Dr. Aceves patient. I liked going to Mexicali - it is much smaller and calmer than Tijuana. He operates out of a hospital, not a clinic. Having 3 nights in a real hospital puts your mind at ease for any possible complications. You get a dye leak test and a barium swallow leak test before you are discharged to ensure no complications. Also, he is most experienced with lap-band to VSG revision and that was my deciding factor. I didn't want to take any chances on my revision surgery.

Good luck with your decision--

Lara

do you mind me asking how much you pay for the surgery?

Hi,

I think the answers on this post will be divided by the people that went to each doctor. There are a lot of people on the board that had their surgery done by those 2 doctors. I am a Dr. Aceves patient. I liked going to Mexicali - it is much smaller and calmer than Tijuana. He operates out of a hospital, not a clinic. Having 3 nights in a real hospital puts your mind at ease for any possible complications. You get a dye leak test and a barium swallow leak test before you are discharged to ensure no complications. Also, he is most experienced with lap-band to VSG revision and that was my deciding factor. I didn't want to take any chances on my revision surgery.

Good luck with your decision--

Lara

I'm not sure if it is "kosher" for me to say what I paid. However, I have a lap-band to sleeve revision so I paid more than someone who has just the sleeve. You should go to his web site and get in touch with Nina. She will give you the price. Dr Aceves is known to be the most expensive among the Mexican doctors, but a lot of us feel he is absolutely the best. You can look through the boards for everyone who sings his praises.

do you mind me asking how much you pay for the surgery?

thanks so much. i looked at your pics they are very reassuring. did you go alone?

I just had mine with Aceves in Feb for $8750.

I am sure both doctors are excellent. you will. Have excellent care with any of the two doctors.

I went by myself to Dr. Kelly. 2 days in a full hospital in private room, 2 days in a nice hotel. 3 leak tests , 2 during surgery and the barium test. Hospital close to the border in a quiet area, transportation, excellent team of English speaking professionals, etc. I am very happy with the complete experience. $ 5300