Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does this post-op diet sound crazy?

Ok so I went for my pre-op class on Monday. And the more I look at other peoples post-op diets the more I think this one is insane. I will be in the hospital for 2 nights and will be coming home the third day and that is when ill start purees. My doctor said. I can have 1 Protein Shake to replace a meal and/or the rest I have to have 3 tbsp of purees meat however I like it. I can season it, use sour cream, cheese, marinades, cottage cheese etc. But that's it, no vegetables till I'm 2 mos. Out and no fruit till after 3 mos. I can't have milk, coffee, hot Cereal, mashed potatoes, no refried Beans, no tomatoes/sauce.... so I'm scared of having no nutrition, because let's face it his diet recommendations suck I think. Its so restrictive and is severely lacking nutrition. What should I do? I honestly want to follow my own diet within reason

be very lucky your doctor is that good on your diet. I was on liquids 2 weeks prior and 4 weeks afterwards.. I woldn't make too much of a fuss about it. At least you do get puree foods right out of surgery..

Ok so I went for my pre-op class on Monday. And the more I look at other peoples post-op diets the more I think this one is insane. I will be in the hospital for 2 nights and will be coming home the third day and that is when ill start purees. My doctor said. I can have 1 Protein shake to replace a meal and/or the rest I have to have 3 tbsp of purees meat however I like it. I can season it, use sour cream, cheese, marinades, cottage cheese etc. But that's it, no vegetables till I'm 2 mos. Out and no fruit till after 3 mos. I can't have milk, coffee, hot cereal, mashed potatoes, no refried Beans, no tomatoes/sauce.... so I'm scared of having no nutrition, because let's face it his diet recommendations suck I think. Its so restrictive and is severely lacking nutrition. What should I do? I honestly want to follow my own diet within reason

I have heard people on OH talk about going straight to mushies post op. I, personally, do not agree with it. Ok I am NOT a bariatric Doctor or any type of medical professional so this is only my opinion. But based on my readings of the Sleeve, the liquid diet post op helps to lower the chance of leak. My Dr even went over this and accredited his extremely low complications rate to the fact that he is more strict with the liquid post op diet than other Dr's. For me, it is better to err on the side of safe than to jump into something. I have even thought about staying on the clear and/ or full liquids longer than required because I am so utterly scared of a leak.

I would ask the Dr what his complication or leak rate is. Ask how many VSG's he has done. And, lastly, I would educate, educate educate myself on the procedure and do what you think is right. You could even express your concern to your Dr and see what he says. He may tell you that if it helps you feel safer, then go on Clear Liquids for X amount of time.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Well, I wouldn't agree either, if only for the reason that anything but liquid was absolutely revolting to me till after maybe 3 weeks. I tried and just couldn't get them down.

Follow the docs orders, he should know better than we do.

Thank u so much for the replies. I was initially preparing myself for liquids for two weeks after surgery and than I found out we were on to purees. I personally don't feel comfortable with that with all the research I've done.. my Dr. does have a zero leak rate. I have two and half weeks left till surgery. I'll figure something out..thanks!!

There is a food standard released by Cornell that a lot of US doctors follow. It does allow mushies as soon as 3 days out. For those of us that were on a strict liquid for 20 days, that seems crazy. I also worry about nutrition, but I follow dorctors orders and take my chewy Vitamins.

I, personally, could barely swalllow until the second week. I can't imagine how I would have eaten mushy food at all. I was taking the smallest sips of Water.

THe post-op diet sucks. But, it is there for a reason.

Good luck!

Lara

I'm getting my sleeve done at UC Davis Med Center. I've had to go through nutrition classes and this is the basic info they gave me.

1. In Hospital: Clear Liquids only (ie broth, Water, sugar free popsicle, etc)

2. Released from hospital through Week 2: Protein-Based liquids (ie Protein shakes, low fat cream Soups, diluted sugar free pudding, blended bean Soups, and milk - everything diluted thinner than a milkshake)

3. Day 15 through Week 4: Puree/Blended Foods (ie meats, tofu, Beans, hummus, Peanut Butter, potatoes, baby food). Protein Goal = 60-80 grams of protein. Fluid goal = 48-64 ounces a day

4. Week 5 & 6: Soft/Chopped (ie all food from before + eggs, hot cereals, boiled potatoes, soft fruits without seeds/skin, whole grain crackers, whole grain toast). Same protein and fluid goals. Aim for 1/4 to 1/2 cup portions.

5. Week 7 and Beyond: slowly introduce a greater variety of foods. Continue to keep liquids seperate from meals by 20-30 min, aim for 3 meals and 2 Snacks per day (recommended to use Protein Shakes for Snacks and regular food for meals)

I hope that helps you. I agree, your diet recommendation seems odd, but at the same time you need to trust your doctor. This is what was given to me by the research hospital and it seems pretty sound. I have much more detail if you want to message me.

Im almost jealous lol. I would love to have anything but liquids for 2-4 weeks after. I say try it since he is the doc but if you can't do it, just let him know. It is ultimately up to you and how your body feels. Maybe that's why so many fall off the liquid diet post-op. The thought of not having vs. him saying go for it may be what keeps you from early failure. Good luck!

I was on liquids for 2 weeks after...

The whole no veggies till 2 months, no fruit till 3 months is actually rather normal...

My diet called for nothing but Protein for the first 3 months or at least Protein intensive foods Beans would be one that was included even though there's carbs in them.

You were sleeved in Westchester? Me too -- but by Dr. Roslin -- just barley three weeks ago. Can I ask, what support group do you go to? Am looking for additional support groups in Westchester area? pls advise .. many thanks ... RG

I was on liquids for 2 weeks after...

The whole no veggies till 2 months, no fruit till 3 months is actually rather normal...

My diet called for nothing but Protein for the first 3 months or at least Protein intensive foods Beans would be one that was included even though there's carbs in them.

Dear rosiegirl, Dr. Roslin did mine and my sisters surgery too. Hers in sept. Mine on Oct 20, I spent 11 days in the hospital, had some complications, so once I could eat which was 5 days after surgery, he put me on a mushy pureed food, I thought it strange and my Mom called Debbie his asst. And then for the ray of the time I ate nothing but yogurt and cream of wheat. Tomorrow I will be 3 weeks out, so hopefully I can change it up a little. Take care

I tend to agree with what Day Dreamer has said.

This is what yy doctor will have me doing

2 weeks after surgery Clear liquids only

Then 2 weeks of pureed foods

Month 2 thru Month 4 soft foods only

After the 4th month regular eating

I'm not sure if thats the norm but I will follow everything my doctor says perfectly. he is the one digging inside me so i won't be pissing him off anytime soon LOL

Good Luck.

My doc is one of those who does mushies from the hospital on out, as patient tolerance permits. Of course, liquids are still permitted and encouraged (still have to get in your 64+ oz of Water, etc) but they have found that patients do better the more real foods that they can tolerate. They've been doing sleeves for about twenty years, so I trust that they know better than most what the sleeve can handle (as opposed to the primarily RNY guys who are just getting thier feet wet with the sleeve.) They told me to start adding veg at the ten day mark as I was getting in more than the requisite Protein at that time; fruits and other simple carbs in general were to be minimized, though things like mashed potatoes, oatmeal, rice and Beans, etc were acceptable early mushies before meats were tolerated.

to my ossining friend, I am sorry you had complications ... but I totally understand ... I was a little "sick" when I was in the hospital (had a bout of pneumonia) but actually checked myself out before they wanted me to leave because I felt I would do better at home ... and I think I've had a more difficult time recuperating than some other people .. I guess everyone heals a little differently! I do hope you are doing better every day -- be patient -- it took me 3 weeks at a minimum before I started to feel better ... I had my surgery on Sept 24th, and I still cannot eat much of anything but liquids and mushies .. I'm just not ready yet for real "solids" .. but I know my body will tell me when I am ready ... hang in there - I'm sure you will do great! Do you or your sister go to the support groups at the hospital in NW?

Dear Rosiegirl,

Dr. Rosins asst. Debbie just called today and Dr. Roslin wants me to see a hematologist, he did blood work and my platelets are high, and they think there may be something going on with my spleen. It ended up enlarged after surgery. I am really scared. I still need to see the cardiologist for the heart attack. Believe me if I knew all this crap was gonna happen, I think I might have thought twice about doing the surgery. I'm sorry you ended up with pneumonia, are you better? No me and my sister have not attended his support groups yet, have you? I asked her about going when I am feeling better. I will talk to you soon. Take care, Carole