Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days out...Will i Ever Feel Normal Again!?!

Well, I was sleeved on March 22nd and the first 48 hours were absolutley awful! I was ready to give it back if I could...lol. And although I feeling better today I can't help but think what on earth have I done to myself. I have no energy (I have no idea how i'm gonna go back to work on Tuesday); the gas pain in my chest everytime I sip something is horrble and I'm just wondering....when will I feel like myself again! Just venting!!!

YES! You will feel normal again. It does suck at first, but I distinctly remember at exactly day 10 I noticed that I didn't have to sip so lightly. It was like my swelling just went down and I really started feeling pretty normal. Be sure to get your Protein in. It will help you keep your energy up. It seemed like I was constantly attached to a cup during those days. I'm 6 weeks out now.

It will totally get better. I was sleeved a day before you on the 21st and I am the least sore today but still get the gas pains when sipping. I already have an earlier post on this and everyone says that it is normal and will go away once the swelling goes down. I decided to take two weeks off though. Just like Nana said, be sure to get your Protein and clears in no matter what. I noticed a huge difference when I was able to finally finish a whole Protein Shake (took 2 1/2 hours). Now if I don't get that in, I feel like I am exhausted and have no energy. :rolleyes:

As the 2 previous posters have said, yes you will get better. I was feeling like I was going to die after my surgery, then I was afraid that I WOULDN'T DIE :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, once the weight starts to drop you'll feel so much better that you won't even hardly remember how crappy you felt just after the surgery.

We all wish you the best!

Not only does it get better, but when you are as far out as I am (Almost 8 months) you will wish for the early dayz. It is WAAAAYYY to easy to eat now. Thank goodness for my early restriction or I would not have lost as fast or as much as I did.

Good luck.

Deb B)

Day 5 was and has been by far the worst day of recovery so far for me. I also went back to work after only a week. I remember my day 5 (also on a Sunday), I thought to myself: how in the heck am I going to work tomorrow when a shower feels like an olympic marathon?!? I went to work that Monday and took it really easy. Fortunately, for the most part, I can dictate how rigorous my work day is, so I pretty much did desk work. I did okay although I was really tired and a few people asked if I was alright because I was so pale. I did take a half-day that Wednesday to just sleep and recover. It helps alot if you have the capability to do something like that.

For me, the biggest recovery hurdle was the extreme exhaustion. I have a 3 year old and my husband works the night shift, so that didn't help much. I just tried to nap ever chance I got and stayed on top of Protein and Water intake. I really started to feel like my old self at the two week mark which could have been because I was able to eat more Protein with the introduction of mushies.

Long story short, be sure to journal about the lows of today so you can look back in a week or so and see how far you've come! :)

Sending good vibes!

Amanda

You will get better :) I had my VSG performed on 3/21 and 6 days later, I am feeling almost 100% back to normal. I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact that I am only 23, but I seem to have healed pretty quick.

The first 2 days were killer though!

Omg I am going through the same thing.I also had my surgery March 22.I've been crying since Thursday.I just want to feel like my old self again:(

Well, I was sleeved on March 22nd and the first 48 hours were absolutley awful! I was ready to give it back if I could...lol. And although I feeling better today I can't help but think what on earth have I done to myself. I have no energy (I have no idea how i'm gonna go back to work on Tuesday); the gas pain in my chest everytime I sip something is horrble and I'm just wondering....when will I feel like myself again! Just venting!!!

I was sleeved on the 25th. But feel pretty good today. I am in Tijuana, Mexg ico at the Hotel Lucerna for mya last night, I fly home tomorrow. But the fatigue is going to be killer. I got tired sitting in the business center sending emails for a half hour - lol. I took 2 weeks off work, and am now happy that I did so. Hope you start feeling better soon. jean

Aw! I hear your pain! I'm on Day 5 myself and up until yesterday I was feeling close to the same. I was also terrified becuase I realized my pain med prescription would run out today AND my helper was leaving so I'd be on my own for my last week away from work.

Then, a funny thing happened, I woke up... and it just didn't hurt as much. I can breathe and move a little easier. I can sip more and feel a million times less fatigued now that I've actually ingested some protein! I moved onto tylenol, and to my surprise, life seems to be going on. I'm not in as much pain even without the prescription meds. I don't know if it was just time or luck (and I certainly don't want to jinx things) but it seems to be getting easier.

I hope the same thing happens for you (very very) soon.

Best of luck,

Bellah

I was also sleeved (revision from band) on 3/22/11 and am sooo depressed. I am wondering if I made the right decision maybe I should have just gotten the band out and took my ass to the gym. No pain just bummed this drain is the worst and I have to wear it for 10 days. I am on clears for another 2 weeks and have not even thought about Protein. I love my hair but could care less about losing it right now. Is anyone else hungry as hell or is it just me? Apple juice, chicken broth, Water repeat…… What is everyone else eating????

Keep in mind the norm is going to change. You will never feel normal in the sense that you used to feel, but you will come to feel functional. That is what this is all about, fixing a dysfunction.

But it's going to take time to get there.

I heard a cheesy line from Oprah's weight loss video, that is my mantra when things are tough, she said : 'Power is STRENGTH over TIME.'

So when the treadmill becomes to hard or when that wall (no matter what it is) comes before me, I start saying:' 'POWER is STRENGTH over TIME, I am more powerful today than I when I first started this journey and I am more powerful than I was yesterday, and next week I will be more powerful than I am am today. But I have to keep going, My Power is building, and my strength is rising, day after day.'

Keep pressing on, keep a journal, sure vent throw something at a wall, then tell yourself all the reasons you are doing this, and remind yourself of the good things to come!!!

Best to all!